User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
fishhuntride OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Dry duffel bag?

I have a Cortech duffel that measures roughly 12x20x10 and isn't waterproof. It is fairly easy to pack and access the contents while on the bike but I'd like something a bit bigger (12x24x12 - 14x26x14 range?) and waterproof.

I searched and read several threads but still have some questions. First is with sizing. How is that bags with almost the exact same measurements can be rated anywhere from 40-60L for example? Without being about to see them in person, how do you know how much the bag will hold?

Next. The bag will be used for carrying all sorts of stuff (clothes, shoes, fly fishing gear, electronics, etc.) but not camping gear which is mostly what I read about. I want something that is easy to pack and though I won't be in it at every stop, something that I can access if needed while on the bike.

Anyone have recommendations?
fishhuntride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,714
I use the Cabelas waterproof duffel. Works well and is durable.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
tvolk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
waterproof duffles for motorcyclists

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p..._Clothes_Sacks

10X20 medium
12X26 large
14X32 Xlarge

Absolutely waterproof.

made in USA

Thousands in use by motorcyclists all over the world.

Hope this helps!

Tom Volk

full disclosure:
I own RPW
Home of Marsee Products and Helen Twowheels products
tvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
Propfrwrd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Best duffel I've had yet. Diagonal zip (no rolling the top bs), super low profile to easily swing a leg over, weight is low and completely waterproof (submersable).

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...34374302699795

sent from my android device using tapatalk
Old 07-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Try these as they are air and watertight and robust and accessible while on the bike, of course you need to stop first.

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Expedi...y_duffels.html

Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
Coho911
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,350
Another option is the Watershed Dry Duffel bags made specifically for Kayaks & paddling boats. Designed to be completely submerged up to 30 feet & keep essential gear dry.

I use the 70 liter 'Yukon' :
--

Quote:
Tough enough to pack over mountain passes and the Arctic barrens, the Watershed Yukon is one dry bag that won't succumb to exposure to the elements.Keep your gear dry even when submerged! Easy-to-use ZipDry(R) Seal presses shut like a freezer bag.420 Denier fabric with a heavy matte PU finish for abrasion resistance and overall strength.All seams are RF welded and guaranteed to be free of leaks.Even the smallest details are top quality: Duraflex(TM) side-release buckles and D-rings are combined with extreme-duty nylon webbing.Wide mouth for easy access.If you transport fragile equipment in your duffel, a liner is a must: constructed of a 200 denier nylon outer shell, minicell foam cushioning, and an interior fleece lining, will reliably protect your gear.Size: 14" x 27" x 13", 4200 cu. In., 70 liters
Absolutely BONE dry through the worst monsoons the Pacific northwest has thrown at me (Flooding freeways heavy) and the company guarantees them to 30 feet under water.

Some reviews :
http://reviews.mec.ca/9421-en_ca/501...ws/reviews.htm

*** I thought it was worth mentioning, a friend of mine (big time outdoors guy & ex guide) has a Top Loading dry bag with backpack straps on it that he runs on his BMW F650 GS - we were talking about it & I asked about why he chose the backpack straps - he said : "If my bike ever breaks down or you get stuck somewhere and have to walk out, the backpack style makes it SOO much easier to carry what you need to help". --- And now, being the gear guy that I am - I am thinking of upgrading to one similar - haha !

----> LC4 Info Thread <----

So many places to go and see, so little time...do it whenever you can, cause too late comes fast. - Coho

The internets BEST Site for Image Hosting ---> Smugmug <--- SAVE $ 5.00 on smugmug membership with this COUPON - hUuJ7EHBKXWDU
Coho911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
Subutai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
They sell them in every camping and boating store for a penny. Buy fancy motorcycle branded and it's at least a hundred.

Just saw a big one advertised for 19 euro in a local hardware store's boating section. It was meant for hauling around boating gear, 100% waterproof, submersible. Checked it out but it was a little too big for my taste.
Subutai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho911 View Post
Another option is the Watershed Dry Duffel bags made specifically for Kayaks & paddling boats. Designed to be completely submerged up to 30 feet & keep essential gear dry.

I use the 70 liter 'Yukon' :
--

Absolutely BONE dry through the worst monsoons the Pacific northwest has thrown at me (Flooding freeways heavy) and the company guarantees them to 30 feet under water.
This is what I actually own and use at the moment and yes it is real good. I also have a smaller one the Chatooga which is a little on the small side of what I need.
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #9
fishhuntride OP
Adventurer

Anyone have pictures of their bags attached? Lots of nice bags here but some might be too wide for what I want. 24-26" is about as wide as I want but pictures might convience me that I could go bigger.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #10
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,103
Ortlieb.

Bombproof.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:37 PM   #11
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
Try these as they are air and watertight and robust and accessible while on the bike, of course you need to stop first.

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Expedi...y_duffels.html

+100 on the Wolfman Bag. Excellent customer service and support. I use the medium bag on the back of my GS and am pleased every time that I load it up and strap it on the bike. Very flexible as to how it can be packed and the amount of kit and gear that can be stowed is amazing.
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #12
wibby
BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer: 10,535
I've been using this dry bag on my bike from Seattle Sports since 2005. I've owned it since 1999. It's never leaked to date

It's about 26"x13"

It holds my two person tent including poles and stakes, sleeping bag, exped sleeping pad w/chair kit, pillow and my frog togs, with room to spare

Old 07-08-2011, 12:02 AM   #13
fishhuntride OP
Adventurer

Thanks to everyone for the replies. It is helpful. Does anyone know of discounts to Advrider members and/or perferred/recommended sellers for what seems to be any number of quality bags?
Old 07-08-2011, 07:28 AM   #14
Happycamper
Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer: 557
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie preacher View Post
+100 on the wolfman bag. Excellent customer service and support. I use the medium bag on the back of my gs and am pleased every time that i load it up and strap it on the bike. Very flexible as to how it can be packed and the amount of kit and gear that can be stowed is amazing.
+200. Worth the extra jack IMHO.

2007 G650 Xchallenge
2009 F800GS
Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:15 AM   #15
a2ronm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Blue Seattle Sports Roll Top Waterproof Duffel Bag - Large on the VStrom. Stapped with ROK straps thru the carry handles.

Black Bag Connections Roll Top Waterproof Bag on the Versys. Comes with it's own tie downs and has multiple attachment points.

a2ronm is offline   Reply With Quote