Old 06-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
FoolyCoolyOo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
2 Months Around the U.S. on a 1984 Xt 600

This is me

This is my bike

This is me on my bike

The plan: Ride a dual sport bike that is older than I am, all over the United States, going from Pennsylvania to California and hitting many points in-between.

Sound insane?

You bet

Leaving Tuesday, more to come soon...

FoolyCoolyOo screwed with this post 06-05-2011 at 05:24 PM
FoolyCoolyOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
AZ_ADV_RIDER
Demons In My Helmet

Oddometer: 788
Sounds like an adventure! I'm looking forward to more.

The road to enlightenment is not paved.
AZ_ADV_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
FoolyCoolyOo OP
Adventurer

Part 1: The Slab Slayer Chronicles

Chapter 1: The Setup

I've always wanted to travel. See new places, meet new people, be a part of the more epic parts of the world, but not in the tourist sense. Never once did I want to travel to an area for a just a week, to take in the surface of it and see only what the guidebooks wanted you to see. Whenever i thought about traveling somewhere it felt in my mind like I wanted to live there, to experience it. And now in a way I have that chance.

Anyone can pick up and ride off into the sunset if they want to, but most don't want to due to the amount of things they can leave behind. I fortunately am not leaving much behind on this trip. I work on a school year schedule so I have summers off. I'm single so I don't have to worry about leaving behind a loved one (friends count in this of course, and I will miss them when I'm gone!). I rent instead of own so I can draw up up lease dates around my summer plans and not have to worry about rent or utilities when I'm not around. Essentially I set up my life to do big trips like this.

And this is just the dry run for bigger things to come.

DSC_0015 by FoolyCoolyOo, on Flickr
Old 06-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,286
Spot on. Perfect. Man you are going to have fun.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
Free Radical
High speed drifter

Oddometer: 1,402
Count me IN on this one!

"A cheeseburger, a tank of gas, and the hell out of here!" -- Graffiti, Men's Room, Fontanelli's Tavern, Norman, OK c 1974
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 622
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolyCoolyOo View Post
"I've always wanted to travel. See new places, meet new people, be a part of the more epic parts of the world, but not in the tourist sense."

Yup, you just described most of the folks on this site.

Great bike...I owned the same one. It'll get you there and back and all points in between.

Have fun and let us know how you're doing.

When I finished high school, I wanted to take all my graduation money and buy myself a motorcycle. But my mom said no. See, she had a brother who died in a horrible motorcycle accident when he was 18. And I could just have his motorcycle.
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
FoolyCoolyOo OP
Adventurer

Part 1: The Slab Slayer Chronicles

Chapter 2: First Days

So my intention was to leave for this trip on Tuesday June 7th. That didn't happen due to one thing. A prick on my arm....

I had to get a TB test for my job, which takes 48 hours before the doctor can clear you. So I got an extra day to prepare my bike, pack all of my things and plan a route to New England.

My trip will take me all over the United States. The first 2 weeks or so are jam packed with things to do, and the timing is tight and will require a few long days on the road.

The basic itinerary is this

New England June 9th and 10th to visit my dad and a friend in Gloucester, MA
Fort Wayne, IN on June 13th to see my family that lives there. And meet up with my mom who is visiting them before she leaves on June 14th
Salida, CO from June 16th to June 19th for FIBArk, a big whitewater paddling festival that happens every year.
Then heading from Colorado to Santa Cruz California to see friends I have in the Bay Area, hopefully being there by the 23rd of June.

The schedule is tight until I hit Salida, with lots of slab planned to make good time. But I plan to slow down after Salida and really get some exploring done.

Wednesday June 8th

(Note I was really bad about taking pictures today, I'll be better in the future!!)

I wake up bolt awake around 7:30, which is not what I was expecting considering I went to bed at 1:00.....
A few of my friends from Harrisburg wanted to see me off and we went to our favorite bar in town, the Harrisburg Midtown Arts Center or HMAC. It was a great time! But i got to bed far later than I should have considering I was going to put in 450 miles of slab the next day. But good times none the less, and great good byes were had!

So I pack up the bike

....and get to the doctors office! Need to get the TB test checked! Clear of course.

Now its time for some slab!

Not 20 miles into my slab journey I get passed by 2 big guys riding big Harleys. They both wave and smile as they go past. What the heck, i think, I'll jump in with them! This must have been an interesting sight for any motorist on 78 that day. 2 big old guys on chrome cruisers with a little jap dual sport loaded up with gear in tow. They were great about it though and they set a good pace. The old xt really surprises me on the highway. It will thump along at 70 mph all day and and never complain. It'll do 80 all day too but the milage goes way down. More on that later.

So I cruise with the Harley guys for 60 miles or so and they peel off the slab and wave as they go. I keep heading east twords my first goal for the day. The Delaware Water Gap, a beautiful section of the Delaware river that has pristine backroads riding. I chose to go up the NJ side, which is less developed than the PA side, and made for really nice riding with little side dirt roads leading to senic areas. I made a stop at one for lunch!

DSC_0005 by FoolyCoolyOo, on Flickr

DSC_0007 by FoolyCoolyOo, on Flickr

After getting through the gap it was back on the slab, riding interstate 84 all the way to Mass and working my way through the greater boston metro area to get over to Cape Ann and my friend Tonya's.

About 5 miles outside of Gloucester, its starting to get dark, its about 8:30 and I'm almost there. I've been running the bike hard to keep pace with mass traffic, all of a sudden I'm in the outside passing lane and the bike dies out. Its only been 150 miles since my last fill up and I've got electrical cause all my lights are still on. So I get it off to the side, bust out a headlamp and check my fuel level.

Almost dead empty.

All the fuel on the petcock side of the tank was gone and there was maybe a quarter of a gallon on the other side. So I gave her the old tip treatment to get the gas on the correct side, and she fired right up and drove the last 5 miles without a sputter!

However that would mean that I got less than 40 mpg on that fill-up (I've got a 4 gallon clarke tank)

Lesson of the day: Don't expect good gas mileage when your bombing down the interstate at 80mph keeping up with mass traffic. I'll have to remember that one when I'm going through the midwest....

So Gloucester has been achieved as I sit here in Tonya's appartment writing this. Had a great day hanging out with her and got a few great pictures of Cape Ann! I'll post them up tomorrow night. Here is a sneak preview though.

DSC_0023 by FoolyCoolyOo, on Flickr

Up for tomorrow? A nice easy ride up to Northern NH to see my Dad. Taking almost all backroads and maybe some dirt as well!

More to come!

FoolyCoolyOo screwed with this post 06-09-2011 at 03:41 PM
Old 06-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #8
FatherX
Java Man

Oddometer: 4,036
Sounds like an epic idea!

Talk to shooterdave

He just finished 35k MILES on an XR650L

Good luck!

Are those Vasque Sundowners? Those were my favorite things for 20 years. I finally broke down and bought a pair of touring boots. NOT as comfy as the Sundowners.

FatherX screwed with this post 06-09-2011 at 03:45 PM
FatherX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #9
Viking from Denmark
VikingRider

Oddometer: 20
Just go for it

Viking from Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #10
Coots
That's what she said

Oddometer: 155
Nice!!

Way to flog that XT like a rented mule. Love the trip, I have an XT600 (1991) in the garage that just won't die, flog that gal all day long and as long as you feed her she just keeps taking it. Have a great trip and keep posting.

Subscribed

03 DL1000 "Bumble Bee"
91 XT600
03 SV650S SOLD
Coots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #11
Moose_DK
No stress

Oddometer: 589
Thumb Great

Hi That sound like a great plan!! Have a lot of fun..
Maybe we can meet up somewhere for a ride!
I proberly wont begin my next roadtrip until July first so I will be in the Bay area or lake tahoe area.

by the way. If you get to Salida make sure to look up Tammy and Hayduke. They have a great little ADVrider cabin.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=7597

Our RR: M & M Touring the states. July 2009 to January 2010
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...8#post10289818

Our danish blog
http://touringthestates.blogspot.com/

-------------------------
morgen stunden har guld i munden
men kan også ha ondt i hovedet
Moose_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:31 AM   #12
FoolyCoolyOo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherX View Post

Are those Vasque Sundowners? Those were my favorite things for 20 years. I finally broke down and bought a pair of touring boots. NOT as comfy as the Sundowners.

Heck yes they're sundowners! My favorite pair of boots. Super comfortable, waterproof, and they have a legitimate lugged sole unlike most motorcycle touring boots. Can't beat em :)
Old 06-13-2011, 07:50 AM   #13
FoolyCoolyOo OP
Adventurer

Day 2: Gloucester

Here comes the big update folks! I've got internet, time and food to kill!

So I hung out on Cape Ann for a day with my good friend Tonya. She's currently going to school and Boston and grabbed a sweet place in Gloucester. So we spent a day exploring, taking pictures, and catching up.

We went to the beautiful Halibut Point State Park

DSC_0036 by FoolyCoolyOo, on Flickr

See the rock pile? Had to climb it!

Got these shots from the top.

DSC_0045 by FoolyCoolyOo, on Flickr

DSC_0046 by FoolyCoolyOo, on Flickr

DSC_0047 by FoolyCoolyOo, on Flickr

After the romp around the park we went to Rockport for a little food and to check out some art galleries. And we saw this gal...

DSC_0054 by FoolyCoolyOo, on Flickr

To much fun. A great relaxing day to be sure!

DSC_0056 by FoolyCoolyOo, on Flickr

FoolyCoolyOo screwed with this post 06-13-2011 at 08:32 AM
Old 06-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #14
FoolyCoolyOo OP
Adventurer

Day 3: Gloucester to Bethlehem, NH

This day was to be all about slowing down, taking pictures, enjoying the views, and staying off the interstate! I said my goodbyes to Tonya and Gloucester and headed up the seacoast, heading for northern New Hampshire.

Stoped for a photo or two along the coast in NH.

DSC_0004 by FoolyCoolyOo, on Flickr

DSC_0002 by FoolyCoolyOo, on Flickr

DSC_0011 by FoolyCoolyOo, on Flickr

And then kept moving twords breakfast!! Ended up at the Friendly Toast in Portsmouth, NH. Amazing food! Super big portions!! Got french toast and homefries

IMG_0401 by FoolyCoolyOo, on Flickr

After the friendly toast it was off into the lakes region of New Hampshire, winding my way up around the east side of Lake Winnipesaukee and over into Plymouth, where i grabbed the twisty state route 175 to head up to a great dirt road called Tripoli Road, gaining me about 10 miles of super nice state forest road.

DSC_0020 by FoolyCoolyOo, on Flickr

After that a nice little jaunt up to the top of Kinsman Notch

DSC_0027 by FoolyCoolyOo, on Flickr

And then over to Bethlehem to see my dad! An overall great day of riding! Getting around 200 Miles of state routes, back roads, and dirt!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...8,5.388794&z=8

Heres a link to the route! Up for tomorrow? Beginning the trek west, heading for Fort Wayne, IN
Old 06-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #15
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,514
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote