Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #31
Mistress of the dual OP
Some say....

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider View Post
Looking good guys! That 650 seems to fit you very well Zarah. I'm happy to see that Mike came prepared for the eventuality of not being able to find beer; he must have been a Boy Scout!
I do love my 650; it's such a dream to ride. I can't remember if Mike was a boyscout or not, he was a Marine though and you know how they are.

2002 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2009 BMW F650GS
RR:The Quest for Apple Pie
RR:Pacific Coast Rambling
Mistress of the dual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #32
Mistress of the dual OP
Some say....

Day 3, Sonoma Lake to Patrick's Point

Today was truly fantastic. I can't put into words how incredible the riding and the scenery was so I will let the pictures do most of the talking. We left Liberty Glenn and were rewarded with this view.

Mike crossing over Sonoma Lake. It was so foggy you couldn't see the lake at all. It was like riding on a bridge that spanned a cloud.

The wine country we rode through leaving Liberty Glenn.

The nicest rest stop I've ever been to.

A shot from Highway 101.

My friend Candy asked us to take a picture at the drive through tree. Here you go Candy.

The Drive Through Tree Park was a nice place to take a break and eat some trail mix and the rest of the cherries we bought yesterday. Pity about the no swimming.

I saw this cool murral in Eureka and thought of XC Rider, who's on an Alaskan adventure right now.http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694394 This one's for you Denis.

Mistress of the dual screwed with this post 07-21-2011 at 11:24 AM Reason: Photobucket sucks, moved pics to Smugmug
Old 07-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #33
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress of the dual View Post
Hey Tom Good to hear from you. Don't think you've seen the last of us; we'll be back in Prescott for our next vacation.

Will look forward to seeing you two.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #34
Mistress of the dual OP
Some say....

Day 3, Sonoma Lake to Patrick's Point continued

I had seen pictures of Patrick's Point and really wanted to camp there. We were in luck; they had 3 sites left. The cost is $35 a night and worth every cent. We really lucked out on our campsite too; it's completely hidden. Campsite #122.

Patrick's Point is an absolute gem. I would be happy to spend the rest of my vacation here.

Even the path to the showers is beautiful.

Tomorrow we'll explore this place a little more and then we'll go to Oregon.

Mistress of the dual screwed with this post 07-21-2011 at 11:29 AM
Old 07-12-2011, 07:55 PM   #35
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 336
Bucket List

This is on my bucket list of rides to to do and all going well I'll do it sometime in the next two years, along with the trip to Alaska and back. Enjoying your report. Cheers from downunder.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #36
Mistress of the dual OP
Some say....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKiwi View Post
This is on my bucket list of rides to to do and all going well I'll do it sometime in the next two years, along with the trip to Alaska and back. Enjoying your report. Cheers from downunder.
I sure hope all goes well and you get to make those rides. This one is a dream come true for me.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #37
Mistress of the dual OP
Some say....

Day 4, Patrick's Point to Grants Pass

It was another unbelievable day. We woke up to find we had visitors in the night. Raccoon paw prints on Mike's seat. I love raccoons so I was tickled; Mike, not so much. Good thing the keys were in the tent or they probably would have taken off with the bike.

There are raspberries and blackberries everywhere and the park encourages visitors to help themselves.

Breakfast was oatmeal and fresh picked berries.

We went a short ways from our campsite to an overlook to have breakfast.

Our breakfast view to the right.

And to the left.

These little guys were everywhere. They were tiny, only about the size of a softball.

After breakfast we went for a stroll. It was overcast but the views were still outstanding.

We also found some yellow raspberries that were delicious.

We reluctantly packed up and got back on the road.

We went north on highway 101 and then on highway 199.

Highway 199 is unbelievable. I didn't take any pictures because I was too busy riding. That and if you tried to pull over you had a good chance of being taken out by a tractor-trailer. Highway 199 is super twisty, heavily wooded and follows a river. I think this is one of the most beautiful roads I have ever been on and if you get a chance to ride it don't pass it up.

We chose Grants Pass/Redwood Highway Campground for our lodgings tonight. We had planned on pitching our tent at $25 a night but then we saw the little cabins and decided to splurge on one for $50. A good thing too since it started raining a couple of hours after we got here. Along with our cabin we have laundry facilities and free showers. They don't advertise wi-fi but someone around here has it and it's not password protected, lucky us. It's close to the road but we don't really notice the sound of the cars over the sound of the stream we're next to.

Our cabin, isn't it adorable?

Some pictures from around the campground.

We decided to ride two up on Mike's RT into town to get some dinner. We both had burgers and fries at the Wild River Pub and of course Mike had a beer, a Wild River IPA. Only one since he had to get us back to our cabin. We brought the camera with us but left it locked up on the bike and we both were too lazy to go get it so no food pictures. Since I was riding on the back of Mike's bike I was able to snap a couple of shots before the rain became too heavy.

We'll have a look around town in the morning and then we'll head back over to the coast.

Mistress of the dual screwed with this post 07-21-2011 at 11:38 AM
Old 07-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #38
Saulo
Do it.

Oddometer: 115
You two just selected my next ride. Thanks for sharing, I will tag along...
Saulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #39
Mistress of the dual OP
Some say....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saulo View Post
You two just selected my next ride. Thanks for sharing, I will tag along...
Glad to have you along. I could ride this route 100 times and never get sick of it.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #40
Mistress of the dual OP
Some say....

Day 5, Grants Pass to Brookings

We had, yet again, another perfect day of riding. I don't know how you Oregonians do it; I mean everywhere you look you have stunning views. How do you get anywhere without riding right off the road?

We packed up and headed into the town of Grants Pass for some breakfast. We wound up at Caveman Donuts & Deli where we shared an apple fritter and had coffee. We spoke with a couple of locals who were interested in our travels. One guy was in the business of restoring vintage bikes. Mostly Harleys and Indians but he also restored the odd Honda here and there. He gave us some good tips on routes to take over to the coast.

After breakfast we had a look around the town of Grants Pass. This is a really nice place and I hope to come back here again.

I figured these guys were on their way north or something but a local told us that they are in Grants Pass year round.

The Rogue River.

We rode north on I-5 to Old Highway 99. Another picturesque rest area.

From old Highway 99 we took Highway 42 west to the coast. Both roads were super fun to ride with gorgeous scenery everywhere we looked.

Somewhere along Highway 42 we found the ideal place to stop for a break; Bear Creek Recreation site.

We weren't ready to stop for the night but here's a hint for anyone in the area who's looking for a place to pitch their tent.....it's free!!

We made it to Bandon and started our way south to Brookings. Here's a few shots from the road.

Our camp for the night is in Harris Beach State Park. It's a very nice campground for $20 a night. It's right on the beach with lots of trees and foliage. It's a little crowded here tonight which makes it a bit loud; kind of like having an apartment that overlooks the pool.

Dinner tonight is tuna steaks and asparagus seasoned with lime and salt & pepper cooked in foil over the fire, salad, biscuits on a stick, and SOB Woodshed Red Ale.

I read about the biscuits on a stick thing in another ride report and had to give it a try. Basically you take Pillsbury biscuits, or in this case croissants, wrap them around a stick and cook them over the fire. Turned out pretty good.

Tomorrow we continue south along the coast and camp in the big trees.

Mistress of the dual screwed with this post 01-12-2012 at 09:51 AM
Old 07-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #41
theofam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Those are gorgeous spots you two picked to camp. My dad and I just rode up 1 and 101 from San Diego to Newport, Oregon before heading back east to Denver. Your pics make me yearn to get back out to the coast!
theofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:42 PM   #42
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
I'll look for you guys, as I'm heading to Madras, OR this weekend (I'll bypass Carmageddon).

Look for big, yellow R1150GS heading north as you're heading south!

I'm planning to return on 7/23 or 24.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress of the dual View Post
Is

When: Depart July 9th, return July 17th.

Where: San Diego to somewhere in Oregon and back.

Why: For the fun of it.

Who: Mike aka Baldbeemer on his 2006 BMW R1200RT and me, Zarah aka Mistress of the Dual on my 2009 BMW F650GS

Triumph Rocket III Touring, KTM 990 ADV
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #43
Mistress of the dual OP
Some say....

Day 6, Brookings to The Big Trees

Most of our trip has been spent in overcast conditions. This morning was no different. Some of you may feel bad that we're getting so much cool, cloudy weather but Mike and I are welcoming it. When we return home to where we live just east of San Diego we'll be dealing with 90+ degree temperatures. Yuck. Another thing we are really enjoying is the air. Ever since we rode north of San Francisco we noticed how fresh and clean the air is. It smells wonderful and it's absolutely invigorating.

We rode our bikes down to the beach just outside our campground before getting back on the road.

The roadside was covered in thousands of wild tiger lilies.

We stopped in Trinadad for some coffee and a lox supreme bagel at the Beachcomber Cafe. I highly recomend this place. It's small, homey and off the tourist track. It also has free wi-fi.

A couple of pictures from the road.

I had made reservations to stay at the Richardson Grove Campground for the night. When we drove by on the way north I took note that there weren't very many places to shop for food so we stopped at a co-op in Eureka to pick up something for dinner. Mike found a mini craft beer haven.

One of the main attractions for this trip was a ride through the Avenue of Giants. I feel so honored to be able to ride amongst these spectacular trees.

Looking up through a burnt out tree.

The Richardson Grove Campground is very nice. It sits astride the Eel River and is abundant with redwoods and oaks. It was only about a quarter full and most of the campers were nice quiet families. There are restrooms, showers and a place to do some hand laundry. Wi-fi is offered but it's not free and you have to sit right outside the ranger station on a bench to use it.

Our campsite for the night.

The view from our campsite.

This little sapling has found a home on an old tree stump.

It was about 80 degrees when we arrived so we set up camp and went for a dip in the river.

Dinner for the night is cheese, salami, smoked salmon jerky, bread, and grapes. Mike had a Humboldt Wildlife Windshield Owl Pale Ale. Lost Coast Brewery donates all the profits to rehabilitate injured and orphaned wildlife. For dessert Mike is having a Lost Coast Eight-Ball Stout; very chocolaty.

Mistress of the dual screwed with this post 07-21-2011 at 11:56 AM
Old 07-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #44
Mistress of the dual OP
Some say....

Quote:
Originally Posted by theofam View Post
Those are gorgeous spots you two picked to camp. My dad and I just rode up 1 and 101 from San Diego to Newport, Oregon before heading back east to Denver. Your pics make me yearn to get back out to the coast!
I haven't even left yet and I already yearning to do this ride again.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:41 PM   #45
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,665
Your pictures are travel magazine quality. Bravo!!
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote