Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2011, 08:11 AM   #46
Mistress of the dual OP
Some say....

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Your pictures are travel magazine quality. Bravo!!
Thanks Tom. I'm using a Kodak Easyshare camera so it's just point and shoot for me. My next gadget purchase will be a SLR camera.

2002 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2009 BMW F650GS
RR:The Quest for Apple Pie
RR:Pacific Coast Rambling
Mistress of the dual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #47
Mistress of the dual OP
Some say....

Day 7, Redwoods to Los Altos

To get to and from our campsite we had to cross over the Eel River by way of a cool bridge.

Before continuing on for the day we went for a walk through the Richardson Grove Redwoods. They have a trail system with informative placards along the way. We were there first thing in the morning so we were completely alone. It was very peaceful and awe inspiring.

You can barely see Mike through this Goosepen tree. Apparently there are bats living inside of it. It was full daylight but it's so dark because of the redwood canopy.

Our bikes look so very small.

The rest of the day was spent trying to get to through San Francisco. It was windy so we opted for not crossing the Golden Gate Bridge. We crossed over the bay via the Bay Bridge instead. I'll just say that I enjoyed riding around San Francisco via Napa much, much more.

The goal for the day was to make it to Los Altos where I lived when I was a kid. I moved away when I was eight years old and I haven't been back since. While living there my best friend was Julie. When I moved we lost touch but a couple of years ago I found her again via the internet. It was so cool to reconnect after 30 years. Julie and her wonderful family welcomed us into their home and cooked us steaks. It was a great night talking about our lives now, all the stuff we did when we were kids and motorcycles since Julie is also a rider.

Mistress of the dual screwed with this post 07-21-2011 at 12:00 PM
Old 07-16-2011, 10:06 AM   #48
nukemm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Great to see a bit of a preview for my ride next weekend! Subscribed to review before planning my route.
nukemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:30 AM   #49
austin
Mr. Stache

Oddometer: 26
One of my favorite rides ever

Missing San Diego & the west coast ATM. Thanks..
austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:08 AM   #50
ckjj888
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Very powerful!

In China, Morocco tour paradise is the Mount Everest in Tibet, Potala Palace is the numerous pilgrims polar ~ ~ ~

ckjj888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:30 AM   #51
Mistress of the dual OP
Some say....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukemm View Post
Great to see a bit of a preview for my ride next weekend! Subscribed to review before planning my route.
You get to go next weekend? Lucky you, wish I could come with you.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #52
Mistress of the dual OP
Some say....

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin View Post
Missing San Diego & the west coast ATM. Thanks..
The west coast has some great riding but I bet the east coast is lovely as well. Maybe one day I'll get to ride on your side of the country.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #53
Mistress of the dual OP
Some say....

Day 8, Los Altos to Morro Bay

We said goodbye to our lovely hosts and went to see the house I grew up in. The house looked pretty much the same. We then continued on south towards Monterey. We ran into some traffic along the way, thank you California for legalizing lane splitting.

We stopped along the way at a place called Saraita's for a bite to eat since Mike was going through Mexican food withdrawls. The food was awesome and the portions were a bit bigger than expected.

Next up was a ride down the Highway 1 through Big Sur. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

We camped at Montana de Oro campground in Morro Bay. A decent campground with limited facilities right next to the beach. Our campsite for the night.

A cool tree overlooking the ocean.

The beach was a neat little cove with lots of tide pools. Unfortunately there are no pictures because my camera ran out of battery right after the last tree picture.

Mistress of the dual screwed with this post 07-21-2011 at 12:05 PM
Old 07-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #54
Mistress of the dual OP
Some say....

Day 9, Morro Bay to San Diego.

Our goal for the day was to get home and avoid the traffic that Carmageddon was causing. We got a hotel somewhere just north of Los Angeles to get a few hours of sleep. At midnight we got up and continued on home.

It sure was nice to see these guys again.

Mistress of the dual screwed with this post 07-21-2011 at 12:05 PM
Old 07-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #55
baldbeemer
BALD IS BEAUTIFUL

Oddometer: 63
Here are a few thoughts on the trip and the gear we used.

1) total mileage was 2430. We did a few big mileage days of freeways through big cities (San Fransisco & LA). We will probably not do this again. We would break up the mileage or find alternate routes.

2) The bikes- both were BMW's. Both ran great with no issues. I was pretty well set up with a custom seat, big windsheld, backrest, and cruise control. Zarah didn't have any of these conforts and the differences were huge on the big mileage days.

3) the gear- We used a big agnes 3 person tent. Worked great! plenty of room for us and some of our gear. The sleeping bags were cheap ALPS 50 degree bags. They were warm enough but were very bulky. We will upgrade to something else that compacts more. I used an inexpensive Garmn c550 streetpilot GPS. It was ok, and a bargain for what I paid for it. Actually trying to navigate by it was sometimes challenging in winding roads, but that's probably more me than the GPS. The mats were thermarest basecamp. They were ok, but I missed my sealy posturpedic from home.

I'll post more thought's later when I can think of things I'd do differently on the next one
baldbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:48 PM   #56
wonderwoman
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Welcome Home!

Wow! This was a great ride report. I am very impressed with your ride and can't wait to go on one myself. I would love to know how to get to HWY 1 without being on the big Freeways. The redwoods are my favorite, I could live there all summer. Thanks for sharing your adventure and I hope Brian and I can join you on one sometime. Great job.
wonderwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:24 AM   #57
Mistress of the dual OP
Some say....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwoman View Post
Wow! This was a great ride report. I am very impressed with your ride and can't wait to go on one myself. I would love to know how to get to HWY 1 without being on the big Freeways. The redwoods are my favorite, I could live there all summer. Thanks for sharing your adventure and I hope Brian and I can join you on one sometime. Great job.
Thanks Lori. Mike and I would love to do a big ride with you guys; maybe you'll show us around Colorado or Utah sometime. The problem with staying off the freeways is that it takes forever to get through the big cities. I would advise you guys to truck your bikes to somewhere north of SF and then tour around on the back roads.

Mistress of the dual screwed with this post 08-31-2011 at 04:19 PM
Old 07-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #58
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress of the dual View Post

I saw this cool murral in Eureka and thought of XC Rider, who's on an Alaskan adventure right now.http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694394 This one's for you Denis.

Cool looking mural there Z! I especially how they painted in a guy looking up at the mural!

Loved reading your report and looking at your pictures; great job! . Wish we could have met up in OR, but I'll have to see about swinging through CA at some point in time this summer.

It was hard to pick just one, but I really liked this picture; the pacific coast is simply magnificent in so many spots.

Quote:
We made it to Banning and started our way south to Brookings. Here's a few shots from the road.

But this one really tugged at my heart strings....

Quote:
It sure was nice to see these guys again.
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote