Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2011, 07:29 PM   #46
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,144
Now cut that out .... I got enough to worry about ...
Since the stator runs at WOT all the time ... I'm not sure how the system could fail to make it run any harder?

Is the right side substantially hotter than the right side?

Break out the thermal imaging cameras!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:35 AM   #47
TheCowboy
back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 605
I just ran out and checked the temp of my alternator side vs the clutch side (after 45 minutes of shutdown) - the alternator side was considerbly warmer than the clutch side. So I would say it was normal. Since the exhaust pipe is so damn close that might have somthing to do with it. I am thinking of wrapping the exhaust pipe with some of that tape that the hotrodders use.

TheCowboy
TheCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #48
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Cowboy ... that is a fine idea...
Please report back if the improvement is dramatic...
I don't see how it could hurt and keeping that heat away from the alternator can't be a bad thing...........
Old 07-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #49
Crash-n-Skid
WileeeCoyote

Oddometer: 33
Argus BB-SBM12-PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5! View Post
I don't know about that. I saw the stator of a 2008 F800 (the Street one) at the bmw shop, it was pretty dark but the technician told me it was OK. What I would consider is installing some kind of voltage sensor to alert you when it suddenly dies, so that gives you a few hours ride to reach a shop or a safe area somewhere before you are completely stranded when the battery dies... I will do that.
Someone on this forum suggested this one http://signaldynamics.com/index.php?...hk=1&Itemid=77 , any other options?

I've been thinking about this one. Reading this thread has me thinking about it more.
Argus BB-SBM12-PS Battery Bug Battery Monitor for Motorcycles and Power Sports

http://www.amazon.com/Argus-BB-SBM12-PS-Battery-Monitor-Motorcycles/dp/B0029VY4G4/ref=pd_sbs_auto_2
Crash-n-Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #50
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5! View Post
What I would consider is installing some kind of voltage sensor to alert you when it suddenly dies, so that gives you a few hours ride to reach a shop or a safe area somewhere before you are completely stranded when the battery dies... I will do that.

Someone on this forum suggested this one http://signaldynamics.com/index.php?...hk=1&Itemid=77 , any other options?
I had one of those on my F650. I used it to track when the voltage was running low and could turn off or down my running lights & brights.

Planning to put one on the F8GS.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:42 PM   #51
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

There is also this one on fleabay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/6v-12v-24v-LED-B...item2eb6576cdc
Old 07-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #52
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,565
Touched my engine case at a fuel stop today. You could fry eggs on that thing. Do not know if it was internal heat from the rotor or external from the exhaust, but can't believe it is a good thing.

My Polymar skid plate wraps around 1/2 the pipe and I wonder if it is contributing to the heat. Going to have to look into that.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #53
dbh
d00d

Oddometer: 48
I'm following this thread with interest, as my rides often take me to remote locations where a charging system failure would be highly problematic. I keep an eye on my battery voltage.

I have a Garmin 276c plugged into the GPS power plug near the battery and have configured 2 things on this unit.
1. one of the fields displays the voltage
2. one of the alarms is set to alert me to voltage falling below 12V

Normally I glance down while riding and see 13.7V +/- 0.1V regardless of the electrical loads I typically use. Occasionally, 2 or 3 times/day, I will notice a low voltage alarm and see a voltage of around 10V lasting for a second or two. Since I'm using CAN-bus supplied power from that plug, I've been wondering if this brief voltage drop is just part of the normal operation of the bike. It's not just turning off the power, since that would show the GPS internal battery which is around 7V.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention the GPS display and alarm capabilities in case others here have a Garmin hard-wired to their bike.
--
dbh
dbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:04 AM   #54
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbh View Post
I'm following this thread with interest, as my rides often take me to remote locations where a charging system failure would be highly problematic. I keep an eye on my battery voltage.

I have a Garmin 276c plugged into the GPS power plug near the battery and have configured 2 things on this unit.
1. one of the fields displays the voltage
2. one of the alarms is set to alert me to voltage falling below 12V

Normally I glance down while riding and see 13.7V +/- 0.1V regardless of the electrical loads I typically use. Occasionally, 2 or 3 times/day, I will notice a low voltage alarm and see a voltage of around 10V lasting for a second or two. Since I'm using CAN-bus supplied power from that plug, I've been wondering if this brief voltage drop is just part of the normal operation of the bike. It's not just turning off the power, since that would show the GPS internal battery which is around 7V.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention the GPS display and alarm capabilities in case others here have a Garmin hard-wired to their bike.
--
dbh
I wonder if this is available on the 60Csx? Just got one & waiting for it to arrive. Plan to hardwire it direct to the battery. Would be cool if it doubles as a battery monitor.

I also have been wondering if the failures are related to running extra accessories and how they are wired. I just can't see how if the alternator fails during warranty period it isn't covered
Old 07-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #55
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbh View Post
...Occasionally, 2 or 3 times/day, I will notice a low voltage alarm and see a voltage of around 10V lasting for a second or two. ...
Could it be your radiator cooling fan kicking?
That would probably temporarily drop the voltage down to that range as it came up to speed...
Old 07-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #56
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
That would probably temporarily drop the voltage down to that range as it came up to speed...
Totally agree. When I had the single light one noted above and would ride with the riding lights around town at a light, the fan would kick on and it would turn yellow or even red (discharging state) for a few moments. I'd click off the running lights and it would go to yellow and back to green really quickly.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:41 PM   #57
dbh
d00d

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
That certainly fits with the symptoms and is something easily tested by toggling the fan and watching the voltage.
However, when I noticed it on the road, I was riding at highway speeds on a relatively cool day and I would be surprised if the fan kicked on at all since even idling on a hot day takes several minutes to activate the fan.

Now the geek side of me wants to put a little indicator lamp on the fan circuit.
--
dbh
dbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #58
Midnullarbor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
A klutzy question - do the stock instruments give any warning or indication that the electrical power generation system has suddenly "gone fishing"? Or do you simply find out, a few hours later, when the flat battery shuts everything down?

That LED voltmeter is sounding a better and better idea.
Midnullarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:34 PM   #59
Olvi
Ice Butt

Oddometer: 98
Can this be a cooling problem? Since the stator seems to "burn", for me it indicates that heat dissipation is not adequate. Then that falls down to oil cooler and oil quality. If the cooler and/or alternator cover is cover by s*hit, cooling will suffer heavily. If the cooling capacity is designed to clean surfaces then - according to idea of dual purpose bike - there is a huge design flaw.

Yet, this can be also a poor quality of stock alternator workmanship - you know - the cheapest offer syndrome i.e. designed and manufactured by economist.

A was about to install a carbon protector on the alternator cover (since it was close to crack on one hit) but reading this topic gave me a second thought. Well, if a put some heat transfer paste between the cover and "cover"...

For me this sounds like I'm about to install toothbrush as a standard equipment on my bike and clean oil cooler after every trail or dirt ride. You know, BMW should place toothbrush to tools under the seat to clean the oil cooler daily...
Old 11-23-2011, 07:05 AM   #60
C5! OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
4 months - 5,500 km later...

the only good news, I haven' been caught off guard this time!!.
I was indeed in the middle of nowhere when the Voltage monitoring Led I had installed started to go from green to flashing yellow and flashing red.
I disconnected the headlamp, turned around and rode 100 and some km to the nearest city where the computer went blank right in front of a garage...

Right now handed the stator to the guy who did the rebuilt this morning and he told me he'll investigate what happened.
Attached Images

C5! is offline   Reply With Quote