User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2011, 08:46 PM   #76
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Mine arrived yesterday -- thanks John!

I'll offer a different perspective on the gloves, one that has been skewed by a near twenty-year stint at wearing just MX gloves that not only fit like, well, gloves, but were thin enough to allow for maximum feel of the controls, and offer just a hint of protection (good enough for strictly off-road riding).

I got the Exhibition Pros in a size small (8" palm circumference), and they fit well; palm area is good, but there is just a smidgeon of extra room in the fingers. They don't approach the second skin-like fit of some of my MX gloves, but they are the next best thing.

The leather itself is very supple, and the stitching appears to be first rate.

My main observation though is that compared to my MX gloves, the Exhibition Pros feel bulky. That's obviously not a revelation to anyone seeing the gloves side-by-side, since the Pros are bulkier by design in order to handle the rigours of street riding. After all one cannot expect to gain so much in safety without giving away some comfort.

But it's not just their overall size that contributes to the feel of bulk; I think that an equal factor in this is the absence of enough pre-curve in the gloves, so when one attempts to close in on the grips, there is slight resistance from the extra leather bunching up. Admittedly, this is a first observation, and I expect that with break-in the gloves will start feeling a lot more natural, but right now it seems that two-finger clutching is improbable, and throttle application not as telepathic as I had been used to.

But I hadn't been looking for better comfort or feel when I ordered these gloves; I was looking for a much higher safety quotient, and on that front these gloves deliver (at least visually). Hopefully I will never get to test these features, but I'm going to be feeling a lot more confident wearing the Pros.

Lastly, a caution: after handling the gloves for some time, I washed my hands and the sink turned gray! The gloves are fully lined inside, so the dye must have come off the exterior surface. I presume this will subside over time, but be careful initially not to rub them against light-coloured materials.

Thanks again John!
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #77
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocitygear View Post
" But this product is a whole new level of bad-ass! Nothing compares, that I've run across."

Well, that's the goal! Every order gets better, it' only taken 10 years to get here.... but really though THANK YOU for noticing!

I wanted to touch on a specific subject: thickness...

I believe I can pass the current CE testing requirements, a few different ways. Having blown money on my first CE testing failure meant that a second failure was NOT an option.
Remember, this is a self funded endeavor! No banks, investors or otherwise...just a belief that enough isn't being done at current apparel prices! and that CE testing should be PARAMOUNT for any company selling protective apparel.!!

So, my second testing attempt was "all or nothing" approach and that's what you see in the current glove. and yes, NOTHING compares!
These gloves definitely look even better than the ones I got last year from that group buy. Love seeing the pinkie bridge. these are awesome gloves! I might upgrade to the latest version if I could justify it

Looks like perforated leather rather than the mesh on mine. Also, like the black thread, but that's aesthetic. Cool to see the product progressing, John. Keep it up, and when you decide to make a winter glove I'll be first in line!!

Oh man, every time I look at those photos I see another improvement! One of the problems I always have is my thin wrists. Velcro is always too long, including these Ex. Pro I own. You solved that on the Prodigy with the velcro going all the way around the wrist. Looks like you incorporated the same in the latest Exhibition Pro! That might be a reason to upgrade in itself. When is the next group buy?
1971 Lambretta DL

levain screwed with this post 12-21-2011 at 06:07 PM
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #78
MZ5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Having had the chance to put ~100 miles on these gloves over the past couple days, I'll echo johnkol's observation about palm bunching. Also, I think it's important for anyone who can't put the gloves on before buying to know that the glove-within-a-glove kevlar liner makes control feel different than something like a Spidi (those are my other primary gloves). At this point these gloves give me approximately the same feel and dexterity as my structure gloves (fire department). I am anxious to see how the feel may change as the gloves break in and/or I get more miles on them.
MZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:11 PM   #79
velocitygear
safety =~SPEED

Oddometer: 642
gloves

Hey,

GRAPHIC BUFFER------WARNING----

As you know, I build products TO YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS. What isn't being discussed here specifically ; the gloves ability to withstand physical attacks. These gloves performed so well during CE testing that attaching the liner to the glove in the palm specifically or "everywhere" is entirely possible while still being able to pass those CE testing requiremetns. However, the combination as currently delivered offers the UTMOST protection possible. Just like body armor, having layers that aren't attached to each other offer better overall protection.

So, the bunching in the palm can be addressed, if it turns out to be a drawback. More finger curvature- not a problem! Anything is possible really, except for the MX glove comparison. The physical attributes these gloves have cannot be compared to MX gloves.

So really, the question is; how well do you want your gloves to perform?

Building the current glove; my goal was to eliminate the issue below. My apologies for having to post that but it's at the heart of the current design. I can certainly attach the liner BUT is it necessary?

So, your feedback is everything! Would everyone here prefer a fully attached liner? Or is the possiblity of the below photo enough to make you consider otherwise. Again, my goal is bulletproof! Attaching the liner will reduce the glove overall ability by 25-40%. Still within CE spec's in my estimation...

and if it's JUST the palm, I don't think that would be a big problem. I want to try to stay away from attaching the liner fully in the fingers though, considering the below...

Mz5 maybe we could use your pair as a guinea pig. I can attach the liner and send them back to you for review?

Motorcycle Gloves
www.highvelocitygear.com

velocitygear screwed with this post 12-21-2011 at 11:24 PM
velocitygear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:26 AM   #80
heilong
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
John, I don't see the photo(s) in your post.
heilong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:46 AM   #81
velocitygear
safety =~SPEED

link

carnage- beware!

http://www.ducatipilot.com/attachmen...3&d=1252708069

Motorcycle Gloves
www.highvelocitygear.com
Old 12-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #82
MZ5
Gnarly Adventurer

Give me another week or two. That'll let me see whether or how they may change?
On second thought, maybe 3-ish weeks? I'm on leave for the holidays and am not riding as much as normal.

I bought these because of the protective qualities they promise/afford. I'm wanting to let them break in and learn how they feel and how best to work with them.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:08 PM   #83
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocitygear View Post
So really, the question is; how well do you want your gloves to perform?
I definitely vote for not compromising performance for comfort. I do not care if the gloves can still meet CE specs with the modifications, any reduction in safety is unwelcome for me.

But if more pre-curving can be built into the glove, then yes, please.

Give me a few weeks to break-in the gloves and get a more accurate assessment of their capabilities, and I'll follow up on my review.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #84
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Further thoughts after a 6-hour ride:

1. I am amending my fitment assessment to "excellent": they fit as well as anything I have ever tried.

2. The relatively lack of pre-curving is more evident on the right hand where grip feel is significantly diminished -- actually, I cannot really fully close my hand around the grip. I expect this to improve with more riding time.

3. Two-finger clutching is not as big a problem as I thought it would be: yes, the bulk is there preventing you from fully pulling the lever in, but it is possible -- with a more notchy shifting as a consequence.

4. No pressure points to report or any other riding annoyances. However, I think that the gauntlet velcro adjustment strap could benefit from being narrower because it often overlaps with the wrist cinch strap

5. Can't really comment on ventilation since I'm using hand guards, but my hands never got cold (temperatures down to mid-50s)

Overall, quite satisfied, and I'm looking forward to more break-in time eliminating the feel of bulk and bunching up at the palm.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #85
heilong
Adventurer

Question

Guys, any opinions over using Sno-Seal or similar products to add some degree of waterproofness to these gloves?
Old 01-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #86
MZ5
Gnarly Adventurer

I don't see why you couldn't use such a leather waterproofer.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:46 AM   #87
heilong
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZ5 View Post
I don't see why you couldn't use such a leather waterproofer.
Will the perforations leak? If not, will they still retain breathability?
Old 01-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #88
velocitygear
safety =~SPEED

protectant

Hello,

Any quality leather care or waterproofing agent will not present any problems with our gloves. The perforations will leak, the only way to minimize this is to consciously keep your fingers closed during wet weather riding and I think you'll still have issues depending on your speed and overall water "content"..

Breathability will not be sacrificed due to waterproofing agents, the perfoations are too large..

Looks like a waterproof version should be in the works?

Motorcycle Gloves
www.highvelocitygear.com
Old 01-07-2012, 05:47 AM   #89
heilong
Adventurer

John, thanks for the comments. Should I treat the palm too, or can it become slippery due to the treatment? I'm using Sno-Seal.

I'm going to Thailand for a few months - it rains really often, and is hot at the same time. The waterproof gloves that I've seen so far are usually insulated, aimed at a cold and miserable kind of rain. So I was thinking using hot weather gloves + Sno-Seal treatment.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #90
velocitygear
safety =~SPEED

remaining gloves

Hey,

I have a few pairs of our 012 Exhibition Pros left at the $99.00 group buy price:

Small- 3

Large-1

XL - 2

XXL - 2

Anyone interested?

Motorcycle Gloves
www.highvelocitygear.com