Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2011, 08:55 PM   #16
boybrushedplad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draechon View Post

She responded in turn with, “Well, how many of you are planning on drinking?” I said, “I think it's just my man Wes here and I.” She throws back, “I'm actually heading out to hang out with a few of my girlfriends at one of their houses. We'll probably be drinking a little if you two want to come along.” Well then, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more, say no more. I was game. Wes then breaks out of his little shell, “Actually, we've got to get up early and since we're on our bikes, probably shouldn't be riding after drinking.” I was HATING Wes at this point. I could not believe this sheer and utter violation of Man Code: never leave a man behind. I tried to change his mind with the basic shoulder shove and saying, “Come on man, live a little,” but he stuck to his guns. I thought for a second, and remembered I was in back-woods North Carolina/Tennessee, didn't know the area or the girl, would be traveling at night, and, at best, there would be alcohol involved. With the number of bad circumstances that were possible from here-on-out without my wingman, I sadly had to decline the invitation and then asked for any recommendation on retail beer purchasing.

*Wes would probably tell a slightly different version of this story if asked, but this is my ride report and my memories. So there.

Oh my... I just found this thread and I have to say..... Oh, myy....

LOL

I'll just let you leave this story as is- let it be known next time a girl responds that shes going to go hang out with some girl friends and drink that regardless of what you hear me say- my response is YES YES HELL YES

Quote:

From there, I walked over to Hooters to have a few beers and catch the end of Game
{insert picture of women's breast here} (as previously mentioned ^ )

Also, around here we call them May Flys not Fish Flys

Also, I have my doubts as to the validity of any and all stories about women after your first account lol

Also, good write up- keep up the good work

boybrushedplad screwed with this post 07-19-2011 at 09:12 PM
boybrushedplad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:43 PM   #17
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,151
Seems like only yesterday I was the last customer in a pawn shop near the old baseball stadium. Literally the LAST customer. I bought a few hand tools I didn't really need, and literally swam in the sadness of the shop owner. He closed up that day, never opened again. We chatted for a while about better times, when the stadium was there, when the streets were clean, buildings in better shape... reminiscing was nice.

Sorry you got shook down, but at least you didn't lose anything.

For some reason, I miss Detroit just a bit. Darndest thing about home states.

I am digging your trip so far, subscribed!
Old 07-20-2011, 05:28 AM   #18
scooterGdawg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
awesome keith, love your writing... where to next?
Old 07-20-2011, 06:48 AM   #19
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,237

This bridge was designed by Mr. Roebling , the designer of the Broklyn Bridge.

A couple of observations and a question.

!. You ride far to much Interstate . You will enjoy the country far more by riding 300 to 350 miles per day on 2 laners.

2. Your packing set up looks fine.

Question. Why would you carry two multi-tools ? Is there a funtion the cheap one has that the good one lacks ?
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:07 AM   #20
Draechon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
A couple of observations and a question.
!. You ride far to much Interstate . You will enjoy the country far more by riding 300 to 350 miles per day on 2 laners.
2. Your packing set up looks fine.

Question. Why would you carry two multi-tools ? Is there a funtion the cheap one has that the good one lacks ?
1. I may not have clearly stated it, but my goal eventually became to see Detroit and then loop through Canada, and if I could do high-mileage days. I have a few friends doing a two week trip to the West Coast and back in September. I don't plan to go with them but want to know if I am okay with 500-700 mile days.

2. I'll be bringing way less clothes and a few other creature comforts next time.

3. I am bad about losing things, so wanted to keep a spare multi-tool onboard. Until a couple days before this trip, I thought I had lost the good multi-tool a year ago as I'd forgotten completely about the rear inner pocket of my tankbag.

Draechon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:37 AM   #21
scooterGdawg
Studly Adventurer

so, how did were you feeling say at the end of day 3 ?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #22
Draechon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterGdawg View Post
so, how did were you feeling say at the end of day 3 ?
I was still fine on day 3. the 500+ miles weren't harsh as the temperatures were cool and I still felt fresh and excited for the trip. Riding fatigue didn't show up until after my first night in Canada and for the last 3 days.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #23
Draechon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 5, Tuesday, 28 June 2011
Dearborn, Michigan to Topinabee, Michigan
Woke up just before 8, looked up information about the Motown Music Museum on my phone (yay Droid!), and saw they didn't open until 10. Good for me, although I will be a bit pushed for time as I am meeting an ADV'er for lunch at noon. Yesterday afternoon, I found the Detroit Greetings thread on ADV, and put up a post asking if anyone wanted to meet for dinner that night or lunch the next day. I didn't get any responses for dinner, but one hit for lunch from Dfrnt.

I headed out of the motel at 8:45, got a chocolate chip muffin and bottle of orange juice from a gas station for a quick breakfast, and headed into downtown Detroit, trying to get to city center to get pictures of GM and Chrysler's offices (was not able to find this one unfortunately. Saw this depressing building 3 or 4 blocks from than the monstrous skyscrapers that were daunting and an over-powering presence.

Saw lots of these signs everywhere in Michigan, a little scary to think of such harsh consequences for a mistake, but hope they make an impression

Can't remember why I took this picture, maybe one of you know?

Cool looking hotel

In the center of downtown, there is a little park with pretty scenic views of man's construction in every direction

I've seen this sculpture before in a recent Chrysler ad. I couldn't get close enough to read the sign below it, but I think it was built to demonstrate the spirit of American motor companies, the iron fist of American struggling through adversity (correct me if you know the real thing).

This picture was an interesting-to-me impromptu grab as I'm always hearing of union strikes, but am unfamiliar with unions, as they aren't big in South Carolina. Riding down the road on the way to the museum, I stumbled across 50-75 carpentry employees picketing.

Bad framing shot of GM's offices. These were hard to get a shot of due to their scale

Unaffiliated

Just before stumbling across this “diamond in the rough,” I had been lamenting over not having grabbed a shot of a liquor store in Michigan. Seemingly, Michigan-ites love their spirits, as they're really common, but not enough to fully support the owners with only one product line. Instead, if you ever see a “sub shop” that isn't a big name chain, it's probably a liquor store in disguise that you'll notice when you park. In South Carolina, we don't have “liquor” stores, we have “package” stores with three giant red dots outside (for the illiterate or too drunk to read) to find them easily. South Carolina cares not for being discreet. This store sold a variety of items, haha

At 5 'til 10, I arrived at the Museum. There was a school bus with 20 or so teenagers waiting in line (guess the North is on a year-round school system, since this was the second time I mention a school group). 4 young British guys also join our tour group as we file in and pay our $10 each. Due to its small business nature, photographs were not allowed inside, but I did learn a ton about the history of Motown Records and soul and R&B music. This museum is the original building and start of the company, having been started in Berry Gordy's garage. In it are the original piano, drum set, organ, and many other pieces that were essential throughout music's modern history. From Wikipedia of just one example of the 1960s, “Top artists on the Motown label during that period included Diana Ross & The Supremes, The Four Tops, and The Jackson 5, while Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, and The Miracles released hits on the Tamla label.” Wow! You definitely need to check it out if you're ever in the area.

After the 1 ˝ hour tour, I headed toward Cherry Blossom in Novi for lunch with Steve. Along the way, I saw signs for 8 Mile Road and pulled off the interstate for a picture.

Frustratingly, no signs warned me there would be no re-entering the highway from here, and my GPS refused to believe me that the on-ramp was torn up and dirt, so kept trying to re-direct me to do U-turns and get on there. I backed out of the navigation, pulled up the map, and found an alternate route that added 15 minutes to my journey, making me 5 minutes late. I HATE being late as my parents instilled punctuality in me at an early age, so felt very guilty when I pulled into the parking lot for the restaurant and Steve and his co-worker Hoyo (sp?) were already waiting on me.

We went inside to a semi-traditional Japanese restaurant with pretty tasty food. I was surprised that unlike most places I have been, here the default is to serve you hot green tea and chopsticks instead of silverware. I had to ask for a glass of water, but was fine with chopsticks as my dad taught us to use them. In the Air Force, he was a linguist and had been stationed in Taiwan, and loves to practice his Mandarin whenever we go out to Chinese restaurants. The employees/owners LOVE this as they rarely get to use their native tongue outside of their family and friends, so he quickly wins them over. My parents go on yearly mission trips to Taiwan/China and my dad translates for the group.

Steve and Hoyo worked at NGK, the maker of spark plugs, which I thought was pretty neat, so we talk about their work, the Aprilias, KTMs, and VFR Steve have, Hoyo's love for old-school Japanese bikes (he was on a great-looking early 80s Katana that day and has 2 other bikes). At Steve's suggestion, I tried the yummy lunch sushi special, we discussed motorcycle trips, and my route for the day. Steve said I should take I-75 until Highway 23 veered off, and to ride that up the coast of Lake Huron to Cheboygan. He also convinced me I had to visit Mackinac Island, due to its magical allure and natural beauty. We soon went our separate ways (and much to my telepathic wishes, neither offered to help out the poor fat kid and pay for lunch, :-p).

The weather soon turned cold, cloudy, and with an overall dreary mood soon overtake me. From here to Canada, life was quiet, back to a less modern sense of society. The temperature continued to drop and when gassing up 50 miles from Detroit, I had to put on my rain gear to retain heat. I kept hoping for the much-discussed Tim Horton's cafes I have heard of to have a couple donuts and a cup of hot chocolate, but I wanted to wait until I was at least 100 miles. Throughout all my bigger tasks in life (trips, work-days, dating, etc.), I try to break things down into chunks, so I wanted to get a good portion of my 250 miles for the day out of the way before any rest.

My melancholy mood was not helped when I saw this sign, due to the river sharing the nickname of an ex I broke up with years ago for a 20 year old's stupidity

The afternoon became even more bleak, and started to drizzle off and on. I stopped in a rest stop to take care of business, and saw something that lifted my spirits for a short bit, two black squirrels playing. They looked much bigger than the gray I was used to, and had tufts of hair pointing up from their ears. They were very coy and managed to shy away whenever a picture was taken, but I have one of their blurriness, and another of their having vanished up the side of a tree.

With my mood slightly uplifted, I pressed on through the cold and wished I had brought some form of cold weather protection. Due to the heat back home, all my shirts were air-wicking ones to keep you cool in the heat. They work great at this function, but not so well at keeping one warm in the cold. I didn't know I would be passing this way-point, but it was a huge surprise and had me stoked!

About 90 miles from Cheboygan, I stopped in a McDonald's to grab a snack and warm up around 5. Inside, the news was on and I learned that it was only 56 degrees outside! So I wasn't crazy and imagining the cold or coming down with a fever. That was a relief, but now what do I do about the cold? There was a Wal-Mart nearby, but on general principle, I don't shop there (yes they were mentioned in my supply list for my tent; I'm a white, politically centrist, Christian living in America, does my being a hypocrite surprise you?!). I didn't think there would be much use for a sweater beyond today, so I opted not to buy one. After 45 minutes in McDonald's and filling up on gas again (for the motorcycle, I have an iron stomach, thank you very much), I left for the final leg of the day.

This picture may give you some idea of the windiness

Pulling off I-75 toward Cheboygan, it was around 6:30, so I started looking for a place to stay. My bike was running a bit sluggish at this point and the mileage had been dropping, so I knew the air filters were needing a good cleaning/replacement. Much to my delight, half a mile from the interstate was a powersports store I could visit in the morning to attempt buying filters or a cleaning kit.

I saw a sign for a motel across the road that had rooms for $31.50. This seemed a tad suspect, so I continued on. A couple miles up the road, I saw a sign for Indian River Campgrounds, who had cabins for rent. I was much too cold already to want to set up camp and sleep outside, so I stopped in to inquire of room prices. The place seemed very well-maintained and luxurious for its surroundings. With a smile on my face, I walked into the office and asked the attendee for a rate for a cabin. He quote me $58. Politely, I said, “Okay, thanks. I'm trying to keep it under 50,” and started walking toward the door. The guy rudely responded, “Well, coming the night of, without a reservation during tourist season, you're lucky to find anything under $100, and it'll be more than that the closer you get to Cheboygan (which was only an arbitrary destination for me anyway, since it was close to Mackinaw). I said, “Thanks, but I want to at least try,” and opened the door. He, with a sneering smirk, responded, “Yea, I'll see you in half an hour when you can't find anything better.” Well, pardon my French here, “Fuck you too dude” and got back on the bike and left. I CANNOT STAND when sales/service people treat me with disdain or rudeness when I have been nothing but polite to them. Even if I couldn't find anything cheaper, no way would I be staying here after that attitude.

I rode up less than half a mile later, found a similar scene for $55 with a much more polite owner, but turned this down also. I rode another 4 miles up the road, but didn't see much with hope, so headed back to the $31.50 hotel to try my luck.

I pull up outside the Topinabee Motel, and see only one truck in the parking lot for the 12 room motel, not a great sign, but okay. I try walking up to the office, but the door is locked. Hmm, see what looks like a maintenance guy doing grouting work on the sidewalk at the far end, so walk down to him and ask if they're open. He says, “Of course! We're always open! Did she not answer the door?” and then calls her up to hook me up in the office. While we're waiting on what I assume to be his wife, Al and I get to talking about anything and everything. He bought this motel a couple years back after retiring. He loved the Great Lakes area (can't remember where he originated from), snowmobiling, hunting, and fishing, so he decided instead of just sitting on his bum as a retired bloke, he'd buy this formerly semi-run-down place and fix it up while living in it.

He loved the sound of the trip and rattled off factoid after destination after restaurant of places to visit in the Upper Peninsula. I asked about Canada, and he said he'd never been and never had any desire to after his service (I guess military, but didn't ask). When the lady comes up to the office, he tells her to give me a 10% discount since I'm their only customer, which knocks the price from $31.50 to $28 before tax, and $30 with tax. Awesome deal, but doesn't seem that great of a business plan. From talking to him though, I don't think he owned the motel to earn money, but to talk to people traveling through. That's a nice life to live.

After getting a room and dropping some of my stuff on inside, I walked out to ask him about food places to eat in the area. I had camping food with me, but I am always up for local cuisine. He directs me up the road to the Topinee Market/gas station/liquor store/deli/pizza place/convenience store. I headed out and saw Mullet Lake along the way. This picture reminds me much of somewhere else I've visited, I think in Montana, but I can't recall.

While there and with my bike parked out front, I am the talk of the town and have person after person come up to chit-chat while I wait on the two slices of sausage and feta cheese I order from the cook. It was a very friendly town and I love visiting places like this. I get my pizza to go, and head back to the hotel to sit out at the picnic table and eat. When I get back, Al comes over to talk some more. When he saw my pizza he exclaimed, “Damn that looks tasty! If you'd have told me you were getting pizza, I would've driven you up there and it would've been my treat. After some great conversation with a guy that seemed like an old friend, I retired to my room for the night. If you decide to visit Mackinac Island and want a decently priced place nearby with 70s style rooms, mini-fridges, coffee pots, and microwaves in every room, head out to the Topinabee Motel and see Al.

Today was a day with a great beginning, horribly lonely middle, and lovely end.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:34 AM   #24
scooterGdawg
Studly Adventurer

Did you stop in at the packard plant? not sure there is much to see, but nice history.......
Old 08-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #25
caycek5
Bionic Man, got Ti

Oddometer: 1,862
Ok, Draechon it is time to take a trip to your local public library. Otherwise how will we ever know if you made it back home to South Kackalacky.
caycek5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #26
Draechon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caycek5 View Post
Ok, Draechon it is time to take a trip to your local public library. Otherwise how will we ever know if you made it back home to South Kackalacky.
I'm supposed to be getting AT&T tomorrow, so hopefully all will soon be fixed.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #27
linksIT
nOObie

Oddometer: 254
Nice write up. Look forward to the rest
linksIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:39 PM   #28
DCCarpenter
n00b

Oddometer: 3
This was excellent writing, I'm really enjoying reading this and looking forward to the rest.
DCCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #29
Draechon OP
Beastly Adventurer

This message is just one for accountability's sake to ScooterGDawg, Caycek, and Kalonji. I've promised each of you I would finish this report. At least two of you have traveled cross-country since I quit writing this, but won't write any tales until I "get home," so here shall it be. This trip will be finished by February 1st.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #30
PonyExpres
ScratchinMyAss

Oddometer: 118
Translation Please

Quote:
Well, pardon my French here, “Fuck you too dude” and got back on the bike and left.
Could you repeat that in English please, my French is a little rusty...
PonyExpres is offline   Reply With Quote