ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
PBee OP

Oddometer: 8,353
Garmin ripoff

GARMIN RIPOFF

Garmin Lifetime updates more specifically.

I have a Zumo 660 and I get the Nag screen on a regular basis telling me to update my city maps.

Now, on the Garmin site the update is $159.00US
A soon as I enter my local it recalculates it to $189.00AUD

This is a download off the US servers.

I rang Garmin support Australia, I spoke to a Lass and was told it is not linked to the exchange rate.

I asked why? Answer: because that's the way it is.

So I'm paying for the priveledge of being Australian? Answer: Yes.

Is there anyone I can speak to about this? A: No.

So I pay extra or don't update. A: Correct.

Now I want the update but I'm a stubborn Prick and I won't pay for that.

I have a mate who has purchased a new 660 and he got lifetime updates included.

I am going to pirate his maps before I'll pay a priveledge fee.

QUORN SCHITZEL CLUB Est 2011
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:07 AM   #2
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,271
When it comes to the price of their maps, Garmin are absolute thieves.

These twats want $189 for a mere update? You can buy the actual GPS (hardware) with City Nav (the software) already loaded for less than $130 for the low-end Nuvi's.

I'm with you bro. Fuck 'em, if they want to steal from us then I'm happy for them to suffer too, it goes both ways eh.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:51 AM   #3
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
I believe the $189 is for lifetime updates.

Note that Sensis charge Garmin for every update, even if Garmin do not charge you.

Garmin changed to a new locking scheme in early 2010. I do not believe it has been broken yet
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
I can understand why Garmin would want a fixed price, they can't change the price every day. Especially if those things are being sold in retail stores.

Last time I checked, Garmin doesn't make maps. Who knows how much of that $189 is going to Garmin? Maybe they only get five bucks out of it. Maybe they don't get anything at all.

The mapping companies are gonna drive themselves out of the business, if they keep charging so much. openstreetmap.org is already pretty good in most of the world, better than anyone else in some countries I'm told (especially in the third world, where there's no business model for commercial mapping).

There's nothing, at all, stopping Garmin from switching to OSM map data - they could drop their prices to almost nothing (maybe $10 per year), and allow you to download the latest map every single day if that's what floats your boat (openstreetmap.org publishes changes to the map every 15 minutes).

Right now, in Australia, the OSM data isn't quite as good. But the more people who use it the better it gets. I've added virtually every road/fire trail I've ever ridden down.

Check out http://www.openstreetmap.org.au/ for the australian version of OSM.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
woodsy4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnieM View Post
I believe the $189 is for lifetime updates.

Note that Sensis charge Garmin for every update, even if Garmin do not charge you.

Garmin changed to a new locking scheme in early 2010. I do not believe it has been broken yet
Hey Burnie I purchased the Lifetime update which is supposedly compatable with the Colorado 300, but every time I try to connect it comes up something like Gamin servers experiencing difficulties, please try later. I've been trying for 10 days. sent message to Garmin but they have not answered. Do you know if there are issues?

Update: Followed the other load process, manually updated, worked fine. It auto downloaded Basecamp as well, played with it last night seems if anything a bit better than Mapsource. Hard to believe that they don't have drag and drop like eveything else these days.

woodsy4 screwed with this post 01-19-2012 at 03:08 PM
woodsy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:32 AM   #6
jezzag
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBee View Post
GARMIN RIPOFF

Garmin Lifetime updates more specifically.

I have a Zumo 660 and I get the Nag screen on a regular basis telling me to update my city maps.

Now, on the Garmin site the update is $159.00US
A soon as I enter my local it recalculates it to $189.00AUD

This is a download off the US servers.

I rang Garmin support Australia, I spoke to a Lass and was told it is not linked to the exchange rate.

I asked why? Answer: because that's the way it is.

So I'm paying for the priveledge of being Australian? Answer: Yes.

Is there anyone I can speak to about this? A: No.

So I pay extra or don't update. A: Correct.

Now I want the update but I'm a stubborn Prick and I won't pay for that.

I have a mate who has purchased a new 660 and he got lifetime updates included.

I am going to pirate his maps before I'll pay a priveledge fee.

Hey PBee Where did your mate buy the zumo 660 with lifetime maps included?... im thinking of buying one.
jezzag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:51 AM   #7
DS Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
I can understand why Garmin would want a fixed price, they can't change the price every day. Especially if those things are being sold in retail stores.

Last time I checked, Garmin doesn't make maps. Who knows how much of that $189 is going to Garmin? Maybe they only get five bucks out of it. Maybe they don't get anything at all.

The mapping companies are gonna drive themselves out of the business, if they keep charging so much. openstreetmap.org is already pretty good in most of the world, better than anyone else in some countries I'm told (especially in the third world, where there's no business model for commercial mapping).

There's nothing, at all, stopping Garmin from switching to OSM map data - they could drop their prices to almost nothing (maybe $10 per year), and allow you to download the latest map every single day if that's what floats your boat (openstreetmap.org publishes changes to the map every 15 minutes).

Right now, in Australia, the OSM data isn't quite as good. But the more people who use it the better it gets. I've added virtually every road/fire trail I've ever ridden down.

Check out http://www.openstreetmap.org.au/ for the australian version of OSM.
Hi Guys, Totally new here so go easy on me with this one.
Ive just got a GPS unit (Garmin GPSmap 60CSx) which is my first other than a TomTom in the car, and im finding out theyre not so easy. Its assumed you have a base knowledge of how it all works i think.
Is it possible to download OMS maps to my GPS and use them as street maps as opposed to buying the garmin streetmaps?

Cheers,
DS
DS Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #8
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Rider View Post
Is it possible to download OMS maps to my GPS and use them as street maps as opposed to buying the garmin streetmaps?
Yes, it's possible. But I don't have a Garmin and don't know how it's done. Having never seen the Garmin street maps, I also don't know how the quality compares.

The official source for OSM map data doesn't release it in a format that can be understood by your Garmin. You need to find someone who has converted it into the right format for you.

These guys look like they've done good job, and seem to have good instructions how to get it all working: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
Old 02-04-2012, 02:13 AM   #9
Goosefeather
Captain Slow

Oddometer: 824
Quote:

These guys look like they've done good job, and seem to have good instructions how to get it all working: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
We've used this site to download routable maps for Australia onto a Garmin Rino. Have to be a bit patient - it took a few goes to be able to select the relevant tiles on the site and download.
Goosefeather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
DS Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Thanks Guys,
I'll check it out and have a play. see what i can do. otherwise it might be easier to buy what i need to make it simpler to achieve what i want until i know what im doing.
DS Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:13 AM   #11
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
I've got a Garmin and it only cost me $49 to do map updates, how are you guys being charged $160 or more??? It was just a U.S. update though, maybe that's cheaper? I didn't really pay a whole lot of attention to it when I did it.
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #12
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,682
I pruned some off topic posts to HE that were treading a little too close to copyright infringement line.

Please read the site rules and follow them. ADV supports copyrights. So if you want to talk about Open Source Maps, that is just fine.

If you want to bitch about the cost of map data, have at it. It's been done before.

If you want to talk about how to obtain copyrighted materials via bit torrents, usenets, etc - this is not the place to do that.

Thanks,

Dave
ADV Mod

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #13
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
I pruned some off topic posts to HE that were treading a little too close to copyright infringement line.
Thanks, appreciate it.

The biggest problem with copyright infringement is plain lack of education I think.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #14
PBee OP

Oddometer: 8,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post

Please read the site rules and follow them. ADV supports copyrights. So if you want to talk about Open Source Maps, that is just fine.

If you want to bitch about the cost of map data, have at it. It's been done before.

If you want to talk about how to obtain copyrighted materials via bit torrents, usenets, etc - this is not the place to do that.

Thanks,

Dave
ADV Mod
Hi Dave,

I don't condone stealing Garmins maps.
I am still running the original '10 update, My comment was just confirming the fact that unlocked copies are out there .

Garmin will not get my money until they sort out their pricing policy.

If I put a US address in the online checkout I can get it for $159 US$ =$148AUD
As soon as I indicate I'm in Australia they want $189AUD, that's currently $202USD.

I rest my case.

Pete.

Quote:
Thanks, appreciate it.

The biggest problem with copyright infringement is plain lack of education I think.
ya reckon! No offence but I think most folk know they're knocking shit off.

PS, who'd a thought something from the Nerds would end up in head explody

QUORN SCHITZEL CLUB Est 2011
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:57 AM   #15
NSrider
Newfie

Oddometer: 43
Wow, my lifetime updates only cost me $89.00
NSrider is offline   Reply With Quote