Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2011, 11:49 PM   #256
Mitas OP
caretaker

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgypup View Post
a few months? I typically don't want to wait that long.

Sounds like we might have a US solution in the next year?
I like to say something about it but Im afraid that sbd will send a mail immediately to our press officer.

All what you should know is that Im already "here" ... Btw.... afaik... The shipping costs from Canada is not 35 bucks for each tyre ...
klick for the original version

Quote:
USA SHIPPING RATES

Shipping charges are based on a flat rate depending on the order total, after discounts:

Under $100 = $25
$100 - 199.99 = $35
$200 - 299.99 = $45
$300 - 399.99 = $55
$400 - 499.99 = $65
$500 - 599.99 = $75
$600+ = flat rate of $100, plus $10 for each $100 thereafter (ie: $700 = $110, $800 = $120)

We do not charge sales tax on International orders, but please be aware that you will be responsible for any customs and/or clearance fees that may be applied at the destination point. If you have a question call us at 1.888.666.8616, Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm (Pacific Time), or click here to send us an email. Orders are shipped to the billing address of the credit card provided, or if using Paypal, the verified address only.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #257
Trash Hauler
FNG

Oddometer: 21
E-07 trials and tribulations

I pulled the trigger on an E-07 rear tire to pair up with a TKC-80 on the front and also Doran 360M tire pressure monitor. Finally had the time (aka got off my ass) to mount up the E-07 and start the install of the Doran system.

I ordered 2 E-07 rears from MX1 Canada last month. Shipping was $45 for the pair to the States. Sucks but I didn't feel up to the drive to Canada to get the tires in person. The tires were shipped promptly via the Canadian Post office to the USPS. FYI, the Canadian Post package tracking actually works, unlike ours in the States.

After the usual fun of tire breakdown, I installed the 90 degree valve stems included with the 360M kit and mounted the E-07, following the directions for the internally mounted sensor. The sidewall is more than a little stiff on the E-07 and we won't discuss how my wheels look after I got pissed off at the rim protectors not staying on the rim. Anyway...went to balance the wheel and it just wasn't happening. The tire did not have a mark for the light spot (line up with valve stem dot) so it was a crap shoot. After much gnashing of teeth and breaking the bead and turning the tire on the rim, I decided that it would be more fun to tear it all apart and start over again.

I then weighed the Doran components. The sensor weighed in at 0.5 oz (0.68 oz according to the manual) and the 90 deg valve stem weighed in at a whopping 1.2 oz. The straight valve stem included in the Doran kit weighed in at 0.7 oz so I decided that I would go with the straight valve stem and save a little weight.

Next, I installed the valve stem and sensor on the wheel and balanced the wheel without the tire. (The bad part of this is that I talked myself out of doing this the first time around) Ended up using 1 5/8 oz of weight (taped it on for easy removal). I then remounted the tire and with the wheel balanced, I could find the heavy spot on the tire. I broke the bead and moved the tire to align the light spot of the tire with the valve stem, and drove on. All said and done, I ended up using oz of weight to balance the tire/wheel combo so if my math is correct, that put the tire being a little more than one ounce out of balance. They must have known I was installing the TPMS.

Note to Mitas: please start marking the light spot on the tire.

I'll save the front tire replacement for another day but will get the Doran display unit installed tomorrow. With any luck, the weather will cooperate and the ice we currently have will go away so I can ride. Hope the tire rides as good as it looks.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #258
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,690
About a month ago, I ordered up the E09 Dakars for my 12 GSA. Living in canuckistan means free shipping, that's pretty damn rare for us on bike stuff, I could get used to this.

Just for info: My benchmark is the TKC-80. I can drag pegs with them, and like how they work. I usually get 10k kms from a set, front toast, rear with 1k left on it.

Spooned off the K60's, these mounted with little drama. Road test!

To me, this is a dirt tire. Think of it as such, and you'll get what you expect. Lots of bite in sand/gravel/mud, but dry traction is not of the quality of a TKC. Better dirt grip. Like anything, you give up something to get something.

So after 100 kms or so, I spooned on some E07's. The Dakars I'll keep for when I need them.

Only have a couple hundred kms on the 7s so far. I really like the build of tire, the sidewalls have good stiffness, the profile of the front just right for this rim. The rear (though a 150) is narrower than a TKC, looking at the profile from the back. If it gives the traction for me to get the pegs down, it looks like I'm gonna run out of tire. Too cold for that kind of riding now, have to report back on my experiences.

Snow traction is good, as is heavy rain traction. They have the expected howl, nothing unusual there.

More to follow when I get some more time on them.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #259
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
You all are making me drool with these reviews. Everything I've heard about the E09 agrees that it is a dirt oriented ride...and a good one, next on my list for when I'm taking a good dirt excursion.

Still searching for that "perfect" tire that'll provide a true "50/50" experience like the TKC but get better wear and maybe save a few dollars and the E07 is certainly sounding like it might be a contendor.

I am hesitant to drop the hammer though, it is still not a cheap tire and my experiences with the K60 Scout were not at all what I expected -> it didn't live up to the hype and I wasted a lot of money on tires that did not perform to the manufacturers (or the communities) claims, tires that I felt should have been marketed as an 80 street / 20 dirt instead of as a 50/50.

I want to see some more good dirt reviews, drop them in mud holes up to the seat and let's hear how they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Snow traction is good, as is heavy rain traction. They have the expected howl, nothing unusual there.
What kind of snow are we talking about? A dusting on the highway (which I don't consider to really be "snow")? Cold icy, hasn't been thawed left overs from several storms? Or fresh powder on un-plowed dirt or single track? Pics?

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #260
I-Su.Yu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
What tube, if any? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabsAlot View Post
Here ya go:

I-Su.Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #261
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitas View Post
I like to say something about it but Im afraid that sbd will send a mail immediately to our press officer.

All what you should know is that Im already "here" ... Btw.... afaik... The shipping costs from Canada is not 35 bucks for each tyre ...
klick for the original version
hopefully what you're really saying is:

E-07 and E-09/10 dakars will be fully imported & available in all sizes in the US and dealers can easily sign up and carry these tires asap, plus Mitas will fully support warranties quickly.

Then we can rely on some awesome tire resellers on ADV to get us fast tire info & the tires quickly, plus be able to resolve issue easily.

If all that is true, Mitas could become a viable brand in the US.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:14 AM   #262
DabsAlot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Su.Yu View Post
What tube, if any? Thanks.
I just re-used my original tube.

Steve
2005 Gas Gas 280 Pro
1975 Yamaha TY-175
DabsAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #263
I-Su.Yu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
E-07's for my F800GS are incoming.
Thanks.
I-Su.Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:03 AM   #264
Mitas OP
caretaker

:-)
Old 01-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #265
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Looks like I'm on track to order and mount an E07 rear for summer riding this year. Should run through the rest of the Vee VRM-163 that I'm trying out about April based on current wear. Best tire I've had on the bike so far but not good enough in the mud. Wife and I will be riding to the Eastern ADV Rally together this year...will need a new (and at least semi dirtworthy) tire to trash on the single track ride with the smaller bikes. Did the single track ride on a Heidi last year. Think the E07 might be the one for this year.

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #266
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,337
E-09 Dakar?

Will MX1 Canada carry the E-09 Dakar in 140/80-18 now?

And what is the life span of them compared to TKC's and 908's?
Old 01-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #267
DabsAlot
Gnarly Adventurer

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Attached Images

2005 Gas Gas 280 Pro
1975 Yamaha TY-175
Old 01-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #268
DabsAlot
Gnarly Adventurer

Got the Mitas dirty!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Attached Images

2005 Gas Gas 280 Pro
1975 Yamaha TY-175
Old 01-05-2012, 12:48 AM   #269
Mitas OP
caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
Will MX1 Canada carry the E-09 Dakar in 140/80-18 now?

And what is the life span of them compared to TKC's and 908's?
Afaik mx1canada.com placed a big order.But you need to ask him by yourself.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #270
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
Anyone know what the tread depth is on a new Mitas E09 140/80/17 Dakar? I have 6mm left on the rear and was wondering what the new tire has.

Got mine from mx1canada.com

edit: I'm told 12.5mm at the center. I'm at 6mm now. time for a new one? probably.

fudgypup screwed with this post 01-16-2012 at 04:23 PM
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote