Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #361
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
I'm guessing you've used a TKC80 up front in the past (or at least have some notion of how they'd compare); how do you think the C-17 compares overall?

Aside from wobbling in the grooves on the freeway, do you have any thoughts about relatively on-pavement performance or ideas about relative longevity?

I'm looking at ordering an E-09 (or maybe two) from Canada and wondering if I should add a C-17 to the order.
The TKC 80 up front on a GS/GSA can't be beat (19' or 21"). They're just expensive and don't last as long. I agreed to try the C17 only because I was going to be doing seven long days of unfamiliar terrain in Baja and wanted to be sure I had as aggressive a dirt tire as I could get. The E09 Dakar will suffice off road too and have better on road manners than the C17 and still last you longer than the TKC 80. Not sure yet about tread life on the C17 as I only have 1400 miles on it right now. It looks pretty darn good still. I used the 21" TT which is bi-directional (doesn't matter how you mount it).
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #362
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgypup View Post
The TKC 80 up front on a GS/GSA can't be beat (19' or 21"). They're just expensive and don't last as long. I agreed to try the C17 only because I was going to be doing seven long days of unfamiliar terrain in Baja and wanted to be sure I had as aggressive a dirt tire as I could get. The E09 Dakar will suffice off road too and have better on road manners than the C17 and still last you longer than the TKC 80. Not sure yet about tread life on the C17 as I only have 1400 miles on it right now. It looks pretty darn good still. I used the 21" TT which is bi-directional (doesn't matter how you mount it).
Eric, you railed those tires good and worked them super hard in baja. They looked pretty good after those 1400 miles when i saw them on the last day. My D908RR on the back of my 530 is lasting really well. Almost 2K miles of hard dirt and some street and still lots of tread left.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #363
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Any word on Mitas USA? I just purchased a Shinko 705 and 244 rear for early summer fun. Wanted E07s and E09s but I'm not paying to have them run across the border from Canada. Do we have a time frame on getting a U.S. distributor up and running?

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:24 AM   #364
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,459
It seems as tho the official word is, they don't care if they sell tires in the US or not.
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #365
Mitas OP
caretaker

Oddometer: 283
Ouh,.. I care ... dont worry .

To avoid any misunderstandings in the future Ill be thorough.....

To say it with Arnie " Ill be back ..."
Old 05-31-2012, 07:01 AM   #366
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

I didn't say you didn't care. Just seems as tho the higher ups don't care.

What does it take to become a distributor for Mitas?

How many tires?

A shipping container full?

PM me if you like.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:52 AM   #367
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,294
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitas View Post
Ouh,.. I care ... dont worry .

To avoid any misunderstandings in the future Ill be thorough.....

To say it with Arnie " Ill be back ..."
Yeah... Do you guys want toselltiresorwhat??
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #368
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

The question right now is. How many do you want to buy?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #369
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,935
I am about to give up. I guess my next tires are going to be heidenau's.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #370
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I am about to give up. I guess my next tires are going to be heidenau's.
Uh oh...going to the dark side are you

I hope you don't intend to go off road with the Heidis. They are hugely expensive and look the part but neither the front nor the back is very good once you leave pavement (worst performing tires I've ever in my life tried for the uses that the manufactures market them for). The Heidi front is less useful than even an Anakee front for dirt riding and the rear is like riding a slick in the mud, on snow, or on wet grass ---> 0 (that's zero) traction. For the premium price they charge for Heidis one would hope to at least get a tire that works as a "50/50" but alas they are way off the mark with that tire. For the money you will spend on a Heidi you could get just about any other tire on the market. I'd say stay as far away from Heidi as you can and just stick to tires that are designed to work for more than going to the cafe on the weekends.

The version of the Heidi I'm referring to has what they call a stability strip down the center...what it actually does is provide a solid contact patch right where you wouldn't want one if you were riding off pavement. Useless tires if ever a useless tire was ever made. If you can fit up one of the Heidis that doesn't have that stability strip, then give it a shot. Otherwise, stay as far away from the Heidi K60 as possible if you plan to do any (ANY) off pavement riding.

I'd pay the price to have the Mitas shipped in from Europe before ever touching another Heidi again...that's how terribly the heidis performed for me.

Although ---> the Heidi made for a great off-road DRIFT tire...super easy to drift on...and at least in that regard they were a little bit fun as long as you were given wide berth to swing the ass end of the bike too and fro.

Flashback screwed with this post 06-04-2012 at 09:48 AM
Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #371
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Question

I have some questions about the Dakar vs standard version of the e-07. I understand that the Dakar version has a reinforced sidewall (and bead as well?). Obviously, this will result in a tire that is more resistant to sidewall damage in rough terrain, but will it affect other aspects of the tire's performance?

Will the Dakar version wear longer than the standard version given basic gravel road and pavement use?

Will it perform differently on the pavement? In off-tarmac terrain? Does it allow you to run lower tire pressures off road?

Are there other differences in the tire's construction? (ie. different rubber compound, extra belts etc).

Thanks
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #372
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
FYI: Here is the response I recieved from mx1 Canada via eMail on the differences in construction and handling of the Dakar vs standard versions. I was asking specifically about the e-07, but I'd imagine that this applies all the Dakar versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin at MX1 Canada
Hello Neal:
Tire construction is different between Dakar and non Dakar.

Tire rubber is tougher and interwebbed with fiber in construction of Dakar. More applicable to off road resistance to punchers and cuts.

Rubber in Dakar has slightly less grip on pavement surface than Standard version. Dakar has one extra layer in the carcass construction and therefore stiffer sidewall. If running Dakar on the pavement only then you could run with slightly less air pressure to make up the difference between standard version tire.

Many riders get long distance on the standard E-07 at 10K plus running. I don't know about the Dakar version, however with the fiber construction rubber I would assume they will get the same or better in regards to distance.

Many riders have run with the standard E-07 last year. Friends of mine KTM 990-950 ran these tires in Yellowknife and wet Yukon roads, gravel and shale. They claimed it was the only tire that cleared out the slippery mud and lasted for the entire trip with confidence on slippery ugly wet roads.

I would think that the Dakar version may be harder for the slippery and wet surface roads and may not work as well as the softer standard E-07. However on dry river beds and sand washes, desert terrain with sharp rocks and spine cactus I would use the Dakar version.

Hope this answers your questions.
Regards
Colin
MX1 Canada
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #373
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,842
EO-7s now listed for dakars
http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-dual-...venture-tires/
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #374
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswave View Post
FYI: Here is the response I recieved from mx1 Canada via eMail on the differences in construction and handling of the Dakar vs standard versions. I was asking specifically about the e-07, but I'd imagine that this applies all the Dakar versions.
sounds like a standard front w/ dakar rear would be a great setup.
or even better, using EO-10 Dakar front w/ EO-7 Dakar rear
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #375
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 845
I quit whining about the availabilty in the US & had them shipped from Canada to Fl....about to order another E07 Dakar. Love the tires & having a tire that lasts pays for itself. The E07 has been everything I wished for in a tire, especially the rear. I will get double the mileage that I got on the TKC80's....simple math tells me it's worth ordering from Canada.