User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
slowinfastout OP
6 x 275cc

Oddometer: 1,452
Light 'Em Up

Being able to see at night is critical to me, especially with all the deer we have here in Virginia, that love nothing more than to attempt suicide with every motorcycle coming towards them. I have my BMW GS hugely outfitted with lights (Hella HID's and Motolights) and when coming over to the '11 KTM 990 Adventure found the stock USA headlight a pitiful joke. It reminds me of a MagLight 3-cell flashlight with the batteries about half dead.

Upgrade Time.

So I read here that the Euro Headlight for the 990 is the hot licks. Order one from Black Dog Cycle Works and swap it out with the USA DOT model. I also bought a pair of RIGID Industries Dually D2 LED lamps, which I particularly liked because of the very low wattage draw. The KTM doesn't have the big alternator that the BMW is built with, so managing watts and amps is a concern.

Tonight was my first test ride on dark country back roads.

Factory Euro Headlight: OK, this is better than the USA one, but not by any great shakes. Beam throw and cutoffs are superior, and I'd say there is probably a 20 % to 25% overall improvement in lighting. I will retrofit it with an HID Conversion shortly, at least on the low beam. So its a decent upgrade, but not anything to make you say its a 'gotta have it".

Rigid Dually D2's: Hit the "ON" switch and these about blew me off the bike. No warm up like HID's just two pure white thunderbolts of light lasering everything in front of you. I have nicknamed them "The Light of doG". I used to think my Hella HID's on the BMW were bright. HA! Best thing is even in the 'spot' configuration, these throw enough light into the left and right embankments that you can easily see 20' to 30' on either side of the road to eyeball varmints coming out of the woods, You want a set of hugely bright, tough, durable auxiliary lights that won't put your charging system on your knees - buy these. I have them crash-bar mounted, but there are several ways to install them and they look funky, too.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Mttodd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Pics? Everyone loves show and tell. Where did you find them?
Mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,310
I had a set of Sanjo's LED lights and they were cool, but the problem I had is when meeting traffic I had to douse them, and then I was blind...the stock light seemed really bad after your eyes adjust to the white blast of the LEDs.

I then went to dual HID's in my Euro light but started having firing problems with the ballasts so sold it all and went back to the stock headlight.

Due to the deer population up here in the woods I pretty much don't ride after dark.

Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
steved57
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttodd View Post
pics? Everyone loves show and tell. Where did you find them?
+1
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto
2010 KTM RC8
steved57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
rattlesnakejake
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
I run dual HID's with no auxiliary lights in a euro housing...it's been more than worth the $$$ to me.
rattlesnakejake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:20 AM   #6
Xanadu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
I could not justify the expense of the Euro headlight when I could get some serious candlepower with some LED's. I went the Sanjo route and have been totally satisfied. I have not had any problems with oncoming vehichles. I have mine on a Vagabond fork bracket and aimed correctly. Never had anyone flash me. The do seriously light up the road. I did upgrade the stock bulb to an Osram 80w in my stock light which was a great improvement. I feel totally confident in my lighting now for a total cost of less than $200 which was the cost for the Euro light.
Xanadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #7
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,053
+1 on the Rigid D2's.

I've got them on my Adventure and my SE.

5400 Lumens...

I can see the shadow of the car in front of me on the roadsigns in the daytime.

Q~
Questor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
KLRUSERIOUS?
Farkle-whore

Oddometer: 2,297
I dunno, the price difference is still about $100. I agree the Rigid Dually D2 lights are hardcore but at $199 + $180, close to $400 without shipping is a bit steep considering I am thinking about getting two floods and a spot from ADVMONSTER dot com (Sanjoh) and with shipping it will still be under $300 for approx 5500 lumens.

Either way there is another $60+ in mounting brackets and switches that have to be considered into the overall cost.

I am still torn between the two decisions but am leaning towards the ADVMONSTER setup I have in mind.
KLRUSERIOUS? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
Pete156
I love to eat!

Oddometer: 1,440
This is right from the manufacturers literature

"The new D2 is the brightest compact auxiliary light available to date"

Funny, because the compact HID I got 4 years ago from Touratech is brighter, more rigid, and more compact.

1000 CBR
200 KDX

Old 07-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #10
Hiram Walker
Commuter

Oddometer: 46
ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlesnakejake View Post
I run dual HID's with no auxiliary lights in a euro housing...it's been more than worth the $$$ to me.
I commute about 64 miles each way and leave the house at about Odark30. With the stock lights and oncoming traffic there were sections of freeway that I could not see my lane. With my HIDs on low I have no problem seeing the road. Only problem I have had with them is they sometimes go out when I turn the motor over to start. I found to get them to come back on with the bike running all I have to do is momentarily press the start button again.
Hiram Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #11
slowinfastout OP
6 x 275cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete156 View Post
This is right from the manufacturers literature

"The new D2 is the brightest compact auxiliary light available to date"

Funny, because the compact HID I got 4 years ago from Touratech is brighter, more rigid, and more compact.
Ah! You mean the Hella Micros with the inflated Touratech pricetag for the decorative aluminum screw-on bracket? Had those on my GS12. Yes they are bright, but they are not as strongly built, require more than double the wattage draw, require a place to mount the large ballast, and have a few seconds warmup. LEDs really are the future and you are seeing them coming on strong now. Both do and excellent job throwing light but having had both I'm convinced the Rigid Dually D2 is cutting edge.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
Pete156
I love to eat!

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowinfastout View Post
Ah! You mean the Hella Micros with the inflated Touratech pricetag for the decorative aluminum screw-on bracket? Had those on my GS12. Yes they are bright, but they are not as strongly built, require more than double the wattage draw, require a place to mount the large ballast, and have a few seconds warmup. LEDs really are the future and you are seeing them coming on strong now. Both do and excellent job throwing light but having had both I'm convinced the Rigid Dually D2 is cutting edge.
I have landed my 500 lb. bike on my one HID twice ---- it still works as good as new. It only draws 35 W. Do the LEDs only draw 16 W? Manufacturer says they draw 28 W. My HID is 3200 Lumens, this LED is 2600.

1000 CBR
200 KDX

Pete156 screwed with this post 07-13-2011 at 06:50 PM
Pete156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #13
slowinfastout OP
6 x 275cc

Photos as requested
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2011, 08:30 PM   #14
slowinfastout OP
6 x 275cc

One more
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #15
Sandaddict
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I have the regular dually in amber and I am very pleased with light out put as well as the day/night contrast lighting the amber color gives me. Not to mention the amber is KTM orange. I can imagine the D2 light out put is amazing. Great customer service from Rigid as well.
Sandaddict is offline   Reply With Quote