User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 03:09 AM   #1
AusGoFar OP
get back on that horse

Oddometer: 884
Dargo Rally via Billy Goats

Took a Friday off with Brute to make it a three day ride up in the Victorian High country taking in the Dargo Rally.

We decided to break the usual habit of riding from home by loading up the bikes and driving to 20ks past Licola to save our tyres for the hard stuff. Camping on the Wellington

We geared up and as DrAt says "nipped" up Mt Margret. Well not quite. I stuffed one attempt - put it down to no warm up. I find i need a bit of riding to get the feel of things before the hills - but this was literally gear up and straight up the face of Mt Margret. Anyway we were soon up

Bruce was struggling with a bad elbow and effectively riding one handed. Not a good way to be in this country. Wanted to head down to Riggels Spur but decided not to - went back down and up B2 and back to camp

Crossing the Wellington

Next day - we packed our gear for the over night trip to Talbotville. Leaving camp 10 ish with Bruce not sure on whether to ride or not still suffering with a bad elbow. Any way after some Nurafen and some manning up, we headed up Tamboritha to the start of Billy Goats.

Awesome view from beginning of the decent.

For those that don't know about Billy Goats - its pretty steep, it drops 1200 vertical meters in 7km. Ive done more that 5 times over the years, but this was definitely the roughest condition i have seen it.

Bruce regretted his decision to head down - but once made - there is no turning around. We spent a while heading down.

At the bottom - we headed for Kingswell bridge and turned left hoping to head up the river to Talbotville - but no luck the river was flowing way to deep. Still hoping to avoid going back around to Dargo - and in, we headed up Randalls track and found our way across to Hibernia and then down into Talbotville.

Joel met us with a beer and a bloody fantastic meal - thanks mate.

A great night was had round fires and drinking cools ones.

Talbotville in the valley in the morning

Sunday - blasted up to Dargo - (should have fueled up but didn't) down the asphalt to Freestone's.

Crossed the creek and headed east on Link and Gillios and back north up Old Maroka track up to Tamboritha. Awesome track that one for any one getting into Adv riding .

We had to coast 25 km down tamboritha with engines off to get back to the car with only a sniff of fuel left.

Then the luxury of the drive home - what a trip.

AusGoFar screwed with this post Yesterday at 03:56 AM
AusGoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:15 AM   #2
Fearless Whetu
Aussie Kiwi

Oddometer: 142
Great report. I have to go up there. My son and I camped at Feathertop a couple of years back and the place just captivated both of us.

When you say Billy Goats is rough do you mean really hard to climb ? Or is even the descent tricky ?
Old Yesterday, 04:15 AM   #3
craig525
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,298
Drove you car to Licola did not fuel up at Dargo
craig525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:22 AM   #4
AusGoFar OP
get back on that horse

[QUOTE=When you say Billy Goats is rough do you mean really hard to climb ? Or is even the descent tricky ?[/QUOTE]

i am just loading up some video so you will be able to judge. Put it this way - i wouldn't recommend it be the first steep hill you tackle. Up or down its tricky.
Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM   #5
Fearless Whetu
Aussie Kiwi

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusGoFar View Post
i am just loading up some video so you will be able to judge. Put it this way - i wouldn't recommend it be the first steep hill you tackle. Up or down its tricky.
Video will be good. I've done a few steep hills in my time ;) But the only way to really see I guess is to go and have a look. Its just fun to research and have that anticipation. Thanks for the great report.
Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM   #6
AusGoFar OP
get back on that horse

Parts of the footage of decending Billy Goats

Old Today, 01:41 AM   #7
fifthgear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Looks like a great ride nothing better than great weather, tracks and in the high country son made footy finals and now in grand final one more week then we can hit the trails
fifthgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:11 AM   #8
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,023
Great pics & report as usual Dave . Beautiful weather made for a great weekend & perfect riding conditions . Yer been up & down Billy goats a few times & it`s the worst I`ve seen it , doesn`t look to bad in the video though .
And thanks for the delivery service Joel
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:28 AM   #9
richo360
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
Nice work Dave.

When you say you were greeted with a cold one, you mean lemon squash?