Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #4336
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Ned's pic-o-the-day!

G'night, all.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #4337
Bob Tosi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Quote:
Ned:
thoroughly enjoyed following your adventures and especially listening to your radio broadcasts.

I hope you will do an after action review with regards to the event, especially with your bike and equipment. What worked, what didn't? What would you change, improve or do differently with regards to your bike and equipment. I'm sure others besides myself will find that interesting.
What about a tour of the Western KTM dealers giving a presentation of the Dakar experience for the privateer? I would pay to be at this in a heartbeat. It would be way more interesting than a couple of movie guys riding around the globe. You could sell Ned schwagg to help finanance next years Dakar effort.
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #4338
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 929
Another stage in the books

Well, I've said it before ................... and I'll gonna say it again.

ATTA BOY NED, ATTA BOY!

Another great day for Ned and all the Nedheads.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #4339
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
Ned's pic-o-the-day!

awesome. I had to save this one...might use it as my desktop...I love how theres this amazingly cool shot of Ned mid-air as he blasts over a dune...but, if you take your eyes off him for just a second, you'll notice the lone figure way off in the background to the left. And you can even see his footprints trudging across the sand. Sure, its probably just another of the dozens of photographers out there, but then again, it could just as easily be a local interrupting his long walk home from the market long enough to watch the crazy biker race by...

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #4340
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
I hereby order PackMule to offset the cost of a nice dinner out his wife with part of my small donation. I imagine he owes her big time after these last few weeks
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #4341
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 14,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post

As someone who knows Ned fairly well, I can picture his expressions when I listen to the call in; I don't hear "disenchantment" at all. I hear a bit of fatigue, and maybe a little bit of frustration with some minor nagging bike issues, but that's it. For someone to be so focused and so clear-headed at this point of the race is remarkable.
Party at Dukes!

I think I heard someone who was still trying to process all that's happened--trying to recall the years prior and the two weeks of the rally and put it all together--I think intellectually he's begun to recognize the magnitude of his accomplishment but emotionally he's still focused on finishing.
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #4342
Millhaus
Millhaus

Oddometer: 64
Good luck on the final stage of the Dakar!

It has been extraordinary sharing this experience. Enjoy!
2006 KTM 525 EXC Sold
1972 BMW R75/5 - In progress
Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #4343
Wudscrasher
Stand-Up Philosopher

Oddometer: 4,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
"This is Ned. Ned is taking a leisurely ride through South America, enjoying the sights, topless beaches, local accomodations, gourmet food..."

Enjoy the final stage, dood. Go Ned! You da man!
'94 DR 350SER
Wudscrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #4344
Bob599
Bob599

Oddometer: 284
Good Luck

Finish strong for the F5 crowd! Great Job Ned. Please do a tour of KTM dealerships in the midwest and host a Dakar Experience night for the hard core F5ers in Wiscosnin.

Through your videos I learned how to better ride my 950 ADV, on the 530 thread I learned how to do every bit of upgrades and maintenance, and this thread took me to Dakar.

Thanks...........
Old 01-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #4345
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Good luck on the final stage of the Dakar!
Ned,

You have it made
The only stage left
is a parade

Wave hi to your fans
But keep to your plans

We do not want to say
What happed to you today?

Get to the podium on time
So far, you are doing just fine!!

murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #4346
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
Just enjoyed another fascinating interview with Nate/Ned.

Maybe it's couch psychology, but Ned's mental state seems different. If I had to put my finger on it, he seems...disenchanted. Maybe it's the end of the rally, blah blah blah...but the interview felt as if the the experience did not match the dream.

Now, don't take this the wrong way. I find this whole thing absolutely fascinating, and one of the things that is so endearing about Ned and his call-ins, etc., is his honesty and clarity about his emotional reaction to the Dakar experience, and that came through again today.

It's disappointing to hear of the preferential treatment, or "corruption", or whatever you want to call it. In my idealism about Dakar, I imagined it might be one of those places where everyone had to rise to the same challenge, though that appears to not be entirely true. I wonder if Ned is reacting to some of that.

I would expect he'd put his thoughts into a more articulate and considered form when he's back home and digested it all...and as always, I am very, very interested to read/hear from him then.

For now, Ned, you've made us all VERY proud of being part of this community. Seriously.

Enjoy your day on the podium tomorrow!

dc
I disagree as well...but I don't think there's anyone that could have said it better than MomDuro

What you're referring to as "preferential treatment", or "corruption" by the french organizers is so ridiculously blatant, it's almost funny. I don't know if they figure they already dug a hole so deep there's no explaining it anyway, they might as well go all the way-apparently, it's a hell of a strategy, because it's working
Nobody dares stand up them and questions them (I guess Gordon's public contempt on camera is the closest I've seen) -or maybe it's simply because the Dakar is the mother of all rallies and everyone would rather put up than not go?

I have to admit I had a big fat grin on my face when Robby blasted in with a 20 minute lead despite his fancy disabled airhosethingemaggigie

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #4347
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
... I think I heard someone who was still trying to process all that's happened--trying to recall the years prior and the two weeks of the rally and put it all together--I think intellectually he's begun to recognize the magnitude of his accomplishment but emotionally he's still focused on finishing.
There are several other comments here about Ned's state of mind right now. I read that several Apollo astronauts had significant life changes after the moon missions. They prepared for years, walked on the moon, returned to earth, and realized "I just walked on the moon! There is nothing I could ever do in my lifetime, or even the next thousand years, to top this." How does achieving lifetime goals affect us?

Some use a Ned's quote as a sig line: "What would you rather do? Nothing. Where would you rather be? Nowhere." Ned lists on his profile - Dream Ride: Dakar. The enormity of accomplishing a lifetime goal causes some introspection.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #4348
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
Here's Ned's Pic-O-The-Day, minus the background person, so that it's Nothing-But-Ned !

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #4349
wscollay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Proud and happy sponsor

I am so proud and happy to have my small Central Coast of CA winery sponcer Ned. Saucelito Canyon Vineyard has been my dream for 35 years, and it is with great satisfaction that I can help Ned achieve his dream. I have been stuck to this site every day and love everyone's insite. I started with a F800GS when I was 65, now I have a 640Adv. The one thing I have learned from Ned is that the mind is more important than just about anything. Looking back on all my crashes, 90% of them were mental. So happy to be part of all of this adventure. Thanks all
wscollay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #4350
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Here's Ned's Pic-O-The-Day, minus the background person, so that it's Nothing-But-Ned !

Epic, Inspiring. Words do no justice for what Ned has accomplished, such an honor that we were allowed to come along for the ride.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote