User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 06:18 AM   #1
pescarr OP
Banned

Oddometer: 10
The mistakes I made on my trip Florida to CDT

I just got back Tuesday night exhausted, I am 57 years old and in decent shape, could not get anyone to go, so went by myself! (1st mistake)

Made it all the way from NW Florida to Banff, Canada Started the CDT there on the 12th of June, made it to pass that was closed, had to turn around go back to Banff, went around the other way this time made it to the border, started the CDT next day and lost my map,raining and it was getting late and was in between Lincoln and Helena, took a wrong turn at a spot that has 4 or 5 turn, took the wrong one, climbed to top of Granite Bluff, when trying to turn around bike fell, it was blowing like 70 mph, now dusk saw a observation tower, set my tent up there with great difficulty, wind howled all night woke up several times freezing.

Next morning got up, snow on ground, bike has ice all over it, food bag had fallen, wind tore rope, no bears though! Saw that this was end of road had to get bike turned around and go back down on this heavy rock narrow road, with wind still at 70 mph.

So riding 3000 miles to do a 2745 trail ride is a mistake.
Carrying all your gear mistake.
I am a 8 month rider, but love this sport, planned for like 6 months, carried 4 season tent, sleeping bag, pad, few clothes, spares, tools, it was just too much weight, bike did great (650GS BMW) LOST SOME SCREWS AND BOLTS THAT WERE PUT IN W ANTI SEIZE.

What I want do is get with some guys or girls and have a support vehicle with a trailer, 1 person do support one day the others ride and carry very little, like water and snack, tire tools, the basics and have a fast bike, not an obese bike! I can not afford a Rawhide trip at $7000, it would be nice to do this on enduro's!
pescarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,850
Sounds like a great adventure!

So, did you just call it quits after the storm?

Had you done any dry runs where you camp off the bike and lug all that gear down some local offroad spots?

8 month rider? Did you have any dirt experience before you set out?

We're you on the single cylinder 650, or the 800cc "650"?

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #3
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 697

Hope you don't give up! Fight it to the end.. and you will have that reward feeling!
WhicheverAnyWayCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:03 AM   #4
pescarr OP
Banned

not giving up the fight

I have had a lot of Mt Bike exp but not moto, 35 year hard core road bicycle nut, so 2 wheels are a natural thing to me, I am a good moto rider, not great! but the instinct is there, which most new riders don't have!

650 single, not easy to pick up by yourself

I went down to Helena, very little sleep, sitting in parking lot trying to dry out boots and me, dejected, ran into some local riders, they said Helena to Butte, was worse that what I just went thru so, decided to jump on I-15 and go to Butte, checked into hotel at 1 pm and slept. Woke up next day, sore and my hands felt like they had been thru a grinder, dry ruff and cracking skin. I had planned to do the TAT on the way home bypassing Yellowstone and the Tetons, which i had done on the road, w all the tourist, which i now regret not doing that part CDT.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,001
I'm an east of the Mississippi guy too and when I go west I have a problem with my fingertips drying and the skin cracking near the nails. What I use when this happens is Vitamin E oil. Buy a bottle at a drugstore and rub your fingertips 2-3 times a day. Use it anywhere the skin cracks . In a few days you'll heal.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
pescarr OP
Banned

thank you

been putting everything I can find on them will try the vitamin E
A is supposed to be good too now that I think about it
Old 06-24-2013, 02:20 AM   #7
arraflipper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Skin Cracks

When my skin cracks open around my nails I use super glue and stick them back together. Works great and they start to heal right away, been doing that for years.

Sorry your trip didn't go well, last year I had a flat and the year before the fuel pump quit. Still planning on taking off to see more of the USA while I can since I just turned 64 last week. It is the meeting of people and making the best of the journey plus the sights that keeps me hitting the road.
arraflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:31 AM   #8
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 634
good ideas....

Yes, super-glue is the way to go on small cuts and now they're even starting to us various glue for patching up things in hospitals I guess. The idea of a support vehicle is a great one too and a common plan with bicycle trips.......

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Rid
e
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:11 AM   #9
Dillard
Seeker

Oddometer: 72
Hell, you're still in the Rockies and I'm jealous, slab around and enjoy the place. Remember Rick from Sibirsky Extreme? He had to abandon early but then he spent a few months riding around Europe and had a great adventure.

Bottom Line, you're in an amazing place so have fun. Oh, and now we're following you so you pretty much have to turn this thing around and have a great time.

Enjoy!
Old 06-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #10
Dillard
Seeker

Oddometer: 72
Well I missed the part where you said you were already back. At any rate, I applaud you for getting out there and having a solo adventure.

Keep at it!
Old 06-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #11
freeway crash
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
weight

As a fellow F650GS rider I'm curious to know how much all of your gear weighed.
freeway crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #12
mow0709
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Heading out from VA on the 20th to do the same thing but with Rawhyde, wife insisted for safety and support. Will be riding a 1200GS so I know it will be a handful but everything is a trade off and with vast majority of my riding being on pavement I'm cool it. I've prepped the bike so effectively anything that can take a hit is covered so hopefully that piece will be okay. Hope you stick with it and have some better luck if you continue.
mow0709 is offline   Reply With Quote