Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2015, 06:09 AM   #1
283Shovels OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
2015 XRX owners

Lets hear about it.

Lot of talk about the XCX, not so much about the XRX, from anyone who has actually put some miles on one.

"ain't too smart, but I'm always thinkin"
283Shovels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:54 PM   #2
Onetrack97
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
I've had one for a few days. Starting to really appreciate it.

Ordered a shield from Madstad. Ordered a seat from Sargent. Looking at bags, GPS, etc.

Onetrack97 screwed with this post 02-18-2015 at 03:58 PM
Onetrack97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:59 AM   #3
283Shovels OP
Adventurer

dang Onetrack, you are of an elite group here

Feel free to post a few photos of your motorcycle.

so the windshield and the seat suck, for you anyway....

Next

Old 02-19-2015, 08:22 PM   #4
joe camarda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Happy to chime-in here.

I bought my white XRx on Jan.29 2015 but as of yet haven't ridden it. In fact it is still at the dealership waiting for the heated grips to arrive! Bit of back-story as the dealership is 300 miles from my home, but located in Modesto (CA) where I occasionally work, and where I've lived until just recently. Actually, as frustrating as it may sound, because of my current travel schedule, this situation, while not ideal has a practical aspect to it... and I knew of the delay going in.

joe camarda screwed with this post 02-19-2015 at 08:29 PM
joe camarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:38 AM   #5
Onetrack97
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 283Shovels View Post
dang Onetrack, you are of an elite group here

Feel free to post a few photos of your motorcycle.

so the windshield and the seat suck, for you anyway....

Next
OK, so it depends upon your use. This bike is essentially replacing my Street Triple R and the Honda ST1300 sold a year ago. Looking for a bike that can go long distances and then have fun at the destination.

I've played a lot with shields using 3 routinely with the ST. The Madstad is different because of the cowl/mounting plate and the wide range of adjustments. Plus the little wings.

I've never used any OEM seat but the comfort seat on the XRx isn't bad. It's softer than the Sargents and Corbin's that I've had. The problem for me is the shape. It's domed/convex across the top. I like a flatter shape. I could have tried to shape the foam myself but I failed miserably on an older seat that I tried.

Onetrack97 screwed with this post 02-26-2015 at 11:46 AM
Old 02-26-2015, 11:46 AM   #6
Onetrack97
Adventurer

I now have the new Sargent seat installed. Drops right in. It's wider in back, shaped kind of like a tractor seat. More support in front under the thighs. Probably a little harder to touch the ground as it doesn't roll off as much up front. Waiting for some warmer dryer weather to give it a good run.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:38 PM   #7
283Shovels OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetrack97 View Post
I now have the new Sargent seat installed. Drops right in. It's wider in back, shaped kind of like a tractor seat. More support in front under the thighs. Probably a little harder to touch the ground as it doesn't roll off as much up front.
Good report.

Got a call from the Triumph shop last week to let me know they had the XRX out the crate and ready for my viewing. Rode up there this afternoon to have a look.

It's BLACK, I like black motorcycles.
The bars aren't quite as "flat" as the XCX but I think some short risers would be in order for me. 90 valve stems, nice.

Of course no one there really knew how to splain how to navigate through all the mode buttons, other than you can can change to different ride modes. no shit.....
And the price, is the price, is the price. That don't put me in a good humor about it all. Never paid MSRP for anything with tires in my life.

I like it. I mounted her and turned the key on and swear she started started breathing heavy and made a slight humm.
Figured she liked me too, then I realized the noise was from the compooter or something that makes the gadgets work.

I also sold one of my 4 bikes last Saturday. That's been my excuse to not buy another. Been a few months of balls to the wall investigating, kickin tires and wanting a bike of this sort.

Now that I have some cash, I got shit in my neck. Hate to turn loose of it. The older I get the more I find that happens, no matter the purchase.

But....at the same time, I know I ain't gettin no younger.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:29 PM   #8
Onetrack97
Adventurer

Quote:
Good report.

Got a call from the Triumph shop last week to let me know they had the XRX out the crate and ready for my viewing. Rode up there this afternoon to have a look.

It's BLACK, I like black motorcycles.
The bars aren't quite as "flat" as the XCX but I think some short risers would be in order for me. 90 valve stems, nice.

Of course no one there really knew how to splain how to navigate through all the mode buttons, other than you can can change to different ride modes. no shit.....
And the price, is the price, is the price. That don't put me in a good humor about it all. Never paid MSRP for anything with tires in my life.

I like it. I mounted her and turned the key on and swear she started started breathing heavy and made a slight humm.
Figured she liked me too, then I realized the noise was from the compooter or something that makes the gadgets work.

I also sold one of my 4 bikes last Saturday. That's been my excuse to not buy another. Been a few months of balls to the wall investigating, kickin tires and wanting a bike of this sort.

Now that I have some cash, I got shit in my neck. Hate to turn loose of it. The older I get the more I find that happens, no matter the purchase.

But....at the same time, I know I ain't gettin no younger.
I paid $250 below list. No prep or transportation fees, just TTL.

I'm so glad that I didn't wait for the BMW S1000XR.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:41 PM   #9
283Shovels OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetrack97 View Post
I paid $250 below list. No prep or transportation fees, just TTL.

I'm so glad that I didn't wait for the BMW S1000XR.
I did not get a solid OTD # yet. I'm letting it soak. They know I'm interested.

They mentioned "plus freight and prep". I mentioned not all dealers charge prep. I had "heard" the freight on Triumph is something you have to accept, I don't know.

I scoffed at the prep and made mention of heated grips. Don't really know of anything else I can try to bargain about.

What tires came on your bike?

This one had Scorpions.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:57 PM   #10
Seventy One
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Back in March of '13, I walked into my local Triumph dealership, found the only 800XC there and sat down on it. The salesman came by and asked if I had any questions.

Me: "Yeah, what do you need down?"

Salesman: "We like to have $1,000 down payment."

I walked over to his desk and wrote him a check for $1,000. I paid full boat. Never even tried to talk 'em down.

They toss me a shirt or hat every time I walk through their door. That's cool. My girlfriend got a nice t-shirt last time we were there. She liked that. I've never paid full price for anything there since then. I like that. I've bought gloves and a few other things, all at steep discounts. Not hassling dealers on this stuff works well too. Just sayin..

Maybe this only works at small dealers. I dunno. YMMV.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:18 AM   #11
Onetrack97
Adventurer

Quote:
I did not get a solid OTD # yet. I'm letting it soak. They know I'm interested.

They mentioned "plus freight and prep". I mentioned not all dealers charge prep. I had "heard" the freight on Triumph is something you have to accept, I don't know.

I scoffed at the prep and made mention of heated grips. Don't really know of anything else I can try to bargain about.

What tires came on your bike?

This one had Scorpions.
Yes, mine are Scorpions. Might look for a more sport touring type of tire but the front size is not common for those types of tires.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #12
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,592
Bin the OEM bias ply front Pirelli Scorpion straight away and fit the radial version. Better yet, get the dealer to do it up front on the deal. The OEM bias ply tire is 10mm narrower but a 110/80 radial transforms the street handling of the Tiger.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:33 PM   #13
283Shovels OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
The OEM bias ply tire is 10mm narrower but a 110/80 radial transforms the street handling of the Tiger.
appreciate the info.

What's that do in terms of tread wear / lifespan, compared to the bias ply?

Front only? Scorpion rear good to go?

Old 02-28-2015, 01:53 PM   #14
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,592
Quote:
appreciate the info.

What's that do in terms of tread wear / lifespan, compared to the bias ply?

Front only? Scorpion rear good to go?
I've only had my Tiger 4 months 5500 miles so I can't comment on difference in wear compared to the stock tire. I binned the original tire at 475 miles because the bias tire tracked poorly over paint stripes and surface irregularities like grooves and such. I can't believe Triumph spec'd a bias except the stock 100/90-19 is the standard sizing on this type of bike.

Based on wear so far the front radial will easily go 2 to 1 with the stock rear radial. I like the Pirellis so far but the rear is not dual compound so it's beginning to square off. I'll probably buy another Scorpion rear and then change brands as a set with the front and rears worn out around 12 or 14,000 miles. My preference will be Bridgestone T30s. Michelin Pilot Roads are often fitted but I'm not a PR fan.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:32 PM   #15
Onetrack97
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
I've only had my Tiger 4 months 5500 miles so I can't comment on difference in wear compared to the stock tire. I binned the original tire at 475 miles because the bias tire tracked poorly over paint stripes and surface irregularities like grooves and such. I can't believe Triumph spec'd a bias except the stock 100/90-19 is the standard sizing on this type of bike.

Based on wear so far the front radial will easily go 2 to 1 with the stock rear radial. I like the Pirellis so far but the rear is not dual compound so it's beginning to square off. I'll probably buy another Scorpion rear and then change brands as a set with the front and rears worn out around 12 or 14,000 miles. My preference will be Bridgestone T30s. Michelin Pilot Roads are often fitted but I'm not a PR fan.
I had the Michelin PR2's on my ST1300. They were great once I fugured out that you have to run the front about 6 lbs lower PSI than the typical setup. I also have them on my Street Triple R at standard PSI with good results.

Seems like we are limited on front tire choices due to size.

What are you guys doing for engine/tans drop protection? Bars, frame sliders?