Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
KendallT OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Question More Power...Intake/Exhaust/Fuel Management???

1st, I apologize if I'm the new guy asking a question that's been asked a hundred times before(search feature does not work on the android tablet).

I am extremely new to the adventure bike world. I've been riding cruisers for the last 20 some years. The one thing I don't see a lot of discussions about are stage one upgrades. A lot of you are probably very familiar with this; "paying your taxes". In the cruiser world, usually the first thing you do when you get a new bike is swap out the exhaust, intake and install a fuel management system (or remap). Is this something not typically done on your big adventure bikes?

I'm researching and test riding right now with plans of making a purchase by spring. As of right now, I'm fairly certain I will be going with the Tenere ES and 90% of the riding that I will be doing with this bike will be two lane blacktop (weekend and the occasional week long trips).

Is a "stage one" worth looking into? It doesn't appear that an intake swap is an option... so what is most everyone doing? High flow air filter, slip on exhaust and a re flash? Or...are these 1200 adventure bikes better off just being left alone in this area and just focus my attention on Farkles (a word that I didn't know existed 2 months ago... :-) )?

Curious what your thoughts are. Thanks and Take Care.
Kendall

Dreaming of a 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
KendallT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:41 PM   #2
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by KendallT View Post
1st, I apologize if I'm the new guy asking a question that's been asked a hundred times before(search feature does not work on the android tablet).

I am extremely new to the adventure bike world. I've been riding cruisers for the last 20 some years. The one thing I don't see a lot of discussions about are stage one upgrades. A lot of you are probably very familiar with this; "paying your taxes". In the cruiser world, usually the first thing you do when you get a new bike is swap out the exhaust, intake and install a fuel management system (or remap). Is this something not typically done on your big adventure bikes?

I'm researching and test riding right now with plans of making a purchase by spring. As of right now, I'm fairly certain I will be going with the Tenere ES and 90% of the riding that I will be doing with this bike will be two lane blacktop (weekend and the occasional week long trips).

Is a "stage one" worth looking into? It doesn't appear that an intake swap is an option... so what is most everyone doing? High flow air filter, slip on exhaust and a re flash? Or...are these 1200 adventure bikes better off just being left alone in this area and just focus my attention on Farkles (a word that I didn't know existed 2 months ago... :-) )?

Curious what your thoughts are. Thanks and Take Care.
Kendall

If you actually plan to ride off road then the tradeoffs are usually about right.

The only reason I'd screw with most of the adv bikes, at least early in ownership would be something like
"
I have a back problem which means I can't ride a sportsbike without pain, so I got this pig instead and how do I make it go faster ?.
"

Suspension and things like steering dampers usually get you more bang for the buck than airbox/exhaust.

There are some bikes where the engine is power limited for some reason (S10, DL1000) and defeating that sometimes gets you decent power gains, problem is, long suspension, tall bikes so you've got more speed than you can safely use and stability at the speeds the bike can now reach may become an issue.

I'm not saying there isn't something there to be gained, but even a low end ADV bike like a DL 650 will run rings around a stock Harley anyway - the starting point is a lot higher than it is with cruisers. Ride a while, and fix the things that actually do annoy you. In my case that was suspension, seat, screen.

Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote