User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2015, 05:17 PM   #1
Shadowray OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Any Tiger XC owners with Trax panniers?

I am looking to purchase some panniers and I am looking at the Trax panniers. Anyone with a set on the Tiger XC willing to email some pics?

Thanks for any help.
Shadowray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:22 PM   #2
IndyChizzle
Inspired by Trevor W

Oddometer: 1,006
I loved the set that I had:

Old 06-06-2015, 08:56 PM   #3
windblown101
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,049
Not a Tiger but had a set of aluminum Trax cases on a KTM SM-T. They were fine and I liked them, until I had a 15-20 mph off while negotiating a muddy forest road. The case on the side that hit the deck was destroyed. For road use I think they are fine. For off-road if you don't want soft bags I'd look for something a bit more stout.

Just my 2 cents.
windblown101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:48 AM   #4
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,411
SW Motech had just released a more ADV hearty set of cases based off the Trax. Saw them at Over Land and they are substantially more robust construction. Felt Touratech Zega solid.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:22 AM   #5
Shadowray OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I like the Trax but not too sure about how far the racks stick out from the sides. Not sure why they made them so far out? I am also looking at the Givi Trekker Outback since the frames sit closer to the bike.

Anyone have the Givi's?
Shadowray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:48 AM   #6
Chigger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
The trax adventure series is what I would have gotten if I didn't just sell my bike.
Chigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:10 PM   #7
lopaca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Talking No to Hijack the Thread but....

What are the benefits of hard cases over soft other than security issues?
Old 06-11-2015, 01:19 AM   #8
ElJefeATX
Morally correct

Oddometer: 7,407
I have them and they're good and robust. They've taken a bit of a beating with some dirt naps. They're now slightly deformed so they don't close up smoothly, but they do close and seal up. There's just a bit of a bind because the hinges are now slightly misaligned.

They also deformed just a hair when I tried to use one as a camping seat. Don't do that.

In one of the tipovers in soft sand, the right side box was ripped off the rack. The weak link securing it is the locking clasp. The force bent the lip on the rack piece allowing the separation. That's a good thing whether by design or accident because it was easy enough to bend back into shape ,and if it broke, it would probably be the cheapest possible replacement part.

One of the slot pieces the mounting pucks nest in bent as well. I've straightened it in the garage, but when re-mounting it after it got ripped off it just required a respectable kick to seat back in the slot.

Off-road I think they're ill advised. Soft bags are the way to go. Otherwise they've performed pretty well considering the severity of the incidents.

Mosko Moto bags are on my wish list for off-road.
ElJefeATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:45 AM   #9
Okeedokee
Cranky Bastard

Oddometer: 231
I had the Trax on my '12 800-XC and really liked them. 45 on L and 37 on R.
Sold that bike, bought an Tex and moved them to it. But had to buy a new 45R because the Tex doesn't use the 37 on the right side like the 800 does.
So, if you interested, I have a used 37R for sale! PM me your email if your interested and I'll email pics.
2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer-XC
Okeedokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:01 AM   #10
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown101 View Post
Not a Tiger but had a set of aluminum Trax cases on a KTM SM-T.

For road use I think they are fine. For off-road if you don't want soft bags I'd look for something a bit more stout.

Just my 2 cents.
I have a set that came on my Guzzi Stelvio. I agree with the statement above. They aren't built very ruggedly and personally I don't like that the lid is hinged in the front.

I had a set of Happy Trails Teton boxes on my Vstrom and I liked those better. They are much more rugged, the lid opens from the side instead of the back and folds out which can be used as a tray to hold stuff while you packing/unpacking and the lid closure is more water tight. You can latch the lid without locking which is nice sometimes.

Soft bags are the way to go off-road. I'd look at either Mosko Moto, Wolfman, or the Dakar bags by SW-Motech.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:48 PM   #11
shaner1100gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
You might want to look at a set of Tusk. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...minum-Panniers
They look like a copy of the Happy Trails.
shaner1100gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:29 PM   #12
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner1100gs View Post
You might want to look at a set of Tusk. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...minum-Panniers
They look like a copy of the Happy Trails.
They do look like a copy of the Happy Trails boxes, but only in 1 size.

The only downside I found to the HT boxes is they are heavier than the Trax boxes but it's what you'd expect with them being much sturdier. That's the problem with the Trax boxes, they went for light weight but they aren't very durable. For primarily road use they are OK, though I still don't like how the lids are hinged or that you can't latch them closed without locking them.

I had no choice, the Stelvio came with the Trax boxes automatically. I kinda wish I'd been able to buy the bike w/o the boxes, I'd have kept my old HT units instead of selling them with the Vstrom.