http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater
Argos Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #137
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeee View Post
Sooooooooooo, I built my own! 12w x 20L x 16h. I think that comes out to about 62 liters. I wasn't planning on building anything that big, but I eyeballed most the measurements and here's what I got. I've still got to seal them, paint them, build the lid and attach points. It's been fun, but it also tested my fading metal working skills. Let me know what you think. Kris

Those things are huge!!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #138
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quick question. Supposedly, these are both Givi racks, but UtahFox's looks a lot wider. Or is it just me? Are there different models/widths for the racks. Just got my tiger, and now I'm trying to figure all this rack/pannier stuff out. I'm used to riding a 270lb supermoto bike with no storage :P

On the tiger800.uk site, I found a fellow tiger owner from France with givi racks. His just seem to look better fitting around the pipe w/o all the gap. http://coeur2tiger.blogspot.fr/2012/...vi-e36e45.html

I see that UtahFox has a aftermarket Leo pipe. I'm wondering if it's that much narrower to leave the gap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
MMM-Kay, here's some pics of my Givi rack, Monsoons, and the Leo Vince was put on today too...

Just the pipe.

Rack mounted seen from behind.

Port.

Starboard.

With Monsoons.

Seems kinda wide - didn't measure - don't think I care.

Cheers.
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #139
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,078
Well, first of all - thanks for heads up, I almost ordered Givi rack (even before my Tiger arrives), but now...
From what it looks like - LeoVince is a bit closer to bike and a bit smaller width than stock.

I think I'll go with Hepco...
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:39 PM   #140
technikiller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
GIVI's

I just got my GIVI Trekkers mounted up. I have the two smaller cases as the sides and the large case on top. Quick measurements seem to show it's about 1" wider on the exhaust side. Honestly I was worried about the symmetry of them but it's barely noticeable. I used the Altrider rack for the top case. Love the set up, glad I got the GIVI's over the oem cases, they're great. And you can use any case as a side or topcase, which is awesome.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:12 AM   #141
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by technikiller View Post
I just got my GIVI Trekkers mounted up. I have the two smaller cases as the sides and the large case on top. Quick measurements seem to show it's about 1" wider on the exhaust side. Honestly I was worried about the symmetry of them but it's barely noticeable. I used the Altrider rack for the top case. Love the set up, glad I got the GIVI's over the oem cases, they're great. And you can use any case as a side or topcase, which is awesome.

Got some pix???
Old 05-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #142
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Quick question. Supposedly, these are both Givi racks, but UtahFox's looks a lot wider. Or is it just me? Are there different models/widths for the racks. Just got my tiger, and now I'm trying to figure all this rack/pannier stuff out. I'm used to riding a 270lb supermoto bike with no storage :P
Yep, mine appear wider too, not sure why that would be - different model perhaps? I got my Caribou side cases while away on a trip, I'll probably get at putting them on today. I'll post some pics then.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #143
cug

Oddometer: 4,180
Quote:
Yep, mine appear wider too, not sure why that would be - different model perhaps?
This could just be perspective. Only way to say for certain is a shot from above or a measurement.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #144
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yep, mine appear wider too, not sure why that would be - different model perhaps? I got my Caribou side cases while away on a trip, I'll probably get at putting them on today. I'll post some pics then.
How much wider is the stock can vs your leo can? I bet that carbon helps out with heat too. Had a carbon leo on an old R6; stayed really cool.

Edit: Looked on Leo's site. It's 110mm wide (4.33 inches) http://www.leovince.com/files/F30984/DT-8492.pdf

Don't have it in front of me, but the stock can has to be a lot wider than that!
Old 05-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #145
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
How much wider is the stock can vs your leo can? I bet that carbon helps out with heat too. Had a carbon leo on an old R6; stayed really cool.
Not sure exactly, 2" at least - its both less wide and tall. The LV is round where stock is oblong.

You can ride for as many hours as you like and the pipe can still be touched. Mind you its hot and you won't be holding your hand on it, but no burns either. There are two stainless straps on it you need to be careful of but I haven't touched in on accident yet.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #146
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

New Hard Cases.

Fitted my new hard cases to the bike today. I bought a Givi Monokey (PLR6401) rack a few weeks ago. The Givi has a lot of people making mounts for it, plus it was pretty inexpensive @ ~ $150.

For me, I give this setup 4 out of 5 stars. The cases are Pelicans with all the hardware and mounting provided by Caribou. Caribou really make this easy. I toyed with the idea of just buying the Pelicans and mounting them myself, but I'm glad I didn't and happy to have my money go to a local small business. I now have the 40L Caribou top case ( http://cariboucases.com/store/?name=...=i&item=000381 ) and the 32L side cases ( http://cariboucases.com/store/?name=...=i&item=000338 ).

The drawback is that the left side case can't be mounted without removing the passenger grab bar, once mounted the grab bar goes back on - meaning that once on for the trip, I'm not going to be taking it off. Since the cases were designed to fit the standard Monokey rack, its not Caribou's issue. I was trying to find a balance between inexpensive and quality, for me I've got it.

So for $1,000, I got the Givi rack, the Caribou topcase & rack, and the two Caribou side cases. The width from the outside of the side cases is 38".

Old 05-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #147
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Awesome! I appreciate the pics and the rundown! I actually just ordered the Givi side racks today because I found them for $128 and couldn't pass it up. Most places sell it for $220 or so, and I thought it was a price mistake, but I googled it and saw many other tiger owners ordering from the same place with great luck.

I'm still tossed up between the pelican cases or givi cases. It'll probably come down to what kind of deal I can find. Now I just need someone to buy my DRZ :)

I'm also considering the Leo pipe. I have one on my CRF, but it has a carbon strap on it - which stays a lot cooler than metal. Surprised they don't do something similar for the tiger. If I do do that, I might consider sectioning out part of the right side rack to make it even with the left side, and weld it back together - just being nitpicky. It doesn't look too asymmetrical from your pics though.

Edit: I'm wondering if Caribou put the mounts on the cases a little differently, it would fix your left mount issue. I thought I read somewhere that someone had them mount theirs a little higher or lower on the racks.

elan screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 08:04 PM
Old 05-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #148
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm also considering the Leo pipe. I have one on my CRF, but it has a carbon strap on it - which stays a lot cooler than metal. Surprised they don't do something similar for the tiger. If I do do that, I might consider sectioning out part of the right side rack to make it even with the left side, and weld it back together - just being nitpicky. It doesn't look too asymmetrical from your pics though.

Edit: I'm wondering if Caribou put the mounts on the cases a little differently, it would fix your left mount issue. I thought I read somewhere that someone had them mount theirs a little higher or lower on the racks.
I'm not using the correct word here, but the 'strap' I'm referring to isn't the one holding the pipe on the frame, but in this pic - the stainless thing 3" to the left of the LV logo on the pipe. There's another one down on the lower side of the muffler too.

You're right about the off center look. I went out to take a measurement to see how much but forgot I have them off now. If I were to guess, I doubt its more than 2 inches more on the right side. I'll connect them back up tomorrow and measure.

As far as moving the mounts around goes, I'm sure I could manage if I wind up caring enough. Its a matter of the latch attaching the case to the frame turning halfway then not getting all the way around due to the grab rail. I think moving all three points down on the case a half to a full inch would do it. But that'd add 6 non weather proof holes I'd have to work out, plus the case itself be higher bringing balance & my top case into play.

Edit: Looking at that pic again up there, it looks more like 3-4" - going to have to make sure I balance things well.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:35 AM   #149
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,078
I think this all still too wide. That's subjective of course.
Bike that Tiger replacing - I made bags mount system myself really concentrating on narrowing all setup down while retaining capacity.
Here it is for comparison - the bike is Suzuki DR800 (just in case - nothing in common with DR650, this one is big and heavy and not narrow). I used Aprilia Pegaso factory optional panniers, took Givi luggage frame and cut it and re-build it using onlty "frames" itself.
This one is 850 mm wide. Each pannier 30 liters. Yes, I did fall quite a few times with them and they holding.
I am thinking about doing same for my Tiger (damn, when it finally delivered!)

bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #150
27Firehouse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Jesse Safari Pic on XC.

Is there anybody running the Jesse Safari panniers on the XC? If so can you post some pics and what you think of them. Need to buy some panniers so and have been researching for a while on what i wanted and its between the Odyssey and Safari. Thanks for any help.
27Firehouse is offline   Reply With Quote