Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 07:11 AM   #196
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
I dont mean something that has to be unscrewed from the inside of the bag. I am looking for a system that easily unlatches with the turn of a key and the lifting of a lever. So you can carry the entire bag in a manner similiar to a suitcase.

I know the Triumph OEM bags operate like this, as do the BMWs. From what I can see the aftermarket "adventure" type bags are not quite so easy to remove.
The only ones that you describe are Happy Trails - http://www.happy-trail.com I've been using them that way for about 3 years, works fine for me. If you pack cargo in carry sacks then loading and loading is super easy so getting into them to release them is painless. I don't lock my cases.

But yeah, for just unclip and carry, lockable cases, these are the sources:

Twisted Throttle has SW Motech www.twistedthrottle.com - their quick-release plate attaches to the panniers, all external operation. Works with any kind of case, Givi, HB, Coucase, Pelican, etc.

Caribou Cases - same kind of deal. http://www.cariboucases.com/store/?name=Home They use Hepco Becker racks, Pelican and Storm cases,make their own quick-release system.

Touratech, the Zega cases, also an external quick-release: http://www.touratech-usa.com/

Jesse Luggage, another one. Very nice setup that wraps around the can. http://www.jesseluggage.com/
Old 08-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #197
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
I am looking for a system that easily unlatches with the turn of a key and the lifting of a lever. So you can carry the entire bag in a manner similiar to a suitcase.
These have quick release bags:

Givi, Hepco&Becker, Kappa, Caribou, Twisted Throttle Pelican luggage, Triumph OEM, Metal Mule (have to lift the lid to pull the lever, but no "screwing around"), SW-Motech, ...

These are screw on (more or less easy to release quickly):

Happy Trails, Touratech, self made Pelican, Jesse, Micatech, most other aluminum constructions, ...

I don't care whether it's quick release or not, as long as the shape is "boxy" enough I can use an inner liner that I can carry into the hotel. Easier, lighter, and a lot cleaner than carrying the whole case.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #198
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I've spent a long time researching all the different options for panniers. A while back, I settled on the Givi racks, mainly because of the price - found them for like $135 shipped. From there, I spent a long time deciding on which panniers I was going to go with. I originally thought I was just going to use the Givi E36s, but I wasn't really pleased with the overall width and shape - price was nice though. I then found a few good reviews of the Givi B36n business case. They cost a bit more, but they weren't near as wide as the E36 and had the same capacity. So I decided to go with the B36n, but low and behold, it's almost impossible to find them in the US for some reason. I didn't really want to order from europe, but I did find an Ebay retailer out of Canada who was selling them for a reasonable shipped price.

Long story short, I got them in yesterday and I'm VERY pleased! I quick measure showed a total width of about 35 inches! Much less than a lot of offerings!

That same ebay retailer was also able to get me the Givi v47 top box which can't be found in the US either! I think it flows better with the Tiger's angles:

Not my bike:

My v47 should be in today and I'll get pics of the set up as soon as I can :)
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:47 AM   #199
IL8APEX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Great info in this thread guys... Keep it up!

I'm looking for pictures of the Touratech Stainless rack. Anyone have it?

Scratch that, found it!

I will be mounting a LeoVince can and would like to carry either soft panniers like the Monsoons or hard cases like the Pelican. The stainless rack appeals to me a great deal but I want to make sure it hugs tight to the bike. I don't like the bags sailing out in the wind.

-Tom

IL8APEX screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 04:50 AM Reason: Answered my own question. Search is my friend.
IL8APEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #200
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL8APEX View Post
Great info in this thread guys... Keep it up!

I'm looking for pictures of the Touratech Stainless rack. Anyone have it?

Scratch that, found it!

I will be mounting a LeoVince can and would like to carry either soft panniers like the Monsoons or hard cases like the Pelican. The stainless rack appeals to me a great deal but I want to make sure it hugs tight to the bike. I don't like the bags sailing out in the wind.

-Tom
Look at WOLFMAN racks. They have their expedition soft bags as well has hard case mounts for their racks. They tuck in as close as possible and look good too with their oval outer frames.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #201
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Finally got around to taking some pics. You can see that the right side is obviously a little wider, but I think the Givi rack is probably the tightest fitting rack on the right side before you get into the other racks that require a different pipe. Bags aren't any wider than the mirrors. Overall I'm very pleased :)

Edit: I want to thank the ebay seller, "2nd Gear" out of Canada. Great prices and able to get me stuff no other dealer could seem to get http://myworld.ebay.com/2nd-gear/&_t...84.m1439.l2754 and also Cli-MAX Riding Gear. Great prices and service! - http://www.cli-maxridinggear.com/

The complete album is here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1137379...eat=directlink

The V47 box will fit my small XD3 AND small Quantum F with no issues

elan screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 09:12 AM
Old 09-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #202
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
I was SO waiting for this! Thanks for photos! I've been thinking about B36n Givi since my previous bike luggage quest..
Can I ask just one question...how wide? Overall - width of luggage?
I love that those B36 made from plastic, that looks like it will not break in fall but just kinda...like MX bike plastics.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #203
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,749
Just ordered a couple of these based on a thread in Equipment.

They seem OK, so we'll see...price is definitely right.

'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #204
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
Wow, that's cheap...
Unfortunately just like Pelicans and similar boxes I found in UK those are really heavy...
I see it is 11.54 lbs...Givi B36N is light (6.5 lbs each) and I hope it absorbs impact rather than withstand it. I can be wrong, just thinking loud.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #205
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
I was SO waiting for this! Thanks for photos! I've been thinking about B36n Givi since my previous bike luggage quest..
Can I ask just one question...how wide? Overall - width of luggage?
I love that those B36 made from plastic, that looks like it will not break in fall but just kinda...like MX bike plastics.
I have more pics if you click on the album link above the pictures. I measured around 36 inches at the widest point.

The plastic doesn't seem like the most durable in the world, but it looks like it will work for the type of riding I do. Also, I didn't mention it before, but I'm using the Alt Rider rack for the top case.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #206
IL8APEX
Adventurer

Why not, I just picked up a couple of these as well. ^^^

I'm hoping the 11 lbs is a shipping weight, in a box. We'll see. A quick internet search netted a coupon for another 10% off, which helped with shipping. While on the site I picked up another (smaller) for use as a top box. It will just barely fit my enormous laptop, and at roughly 18"x12"x6" is almost the same footprint as the Triumph ADV Tail Pack so I may be able to just stack the hard box underneath.

-Tom
Old 09-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #207
IL8APEX
Adventurer

OK, Damn...

I just opened up the boxes from UPS, and I can't believe what I have before me.

For a total of approximately $120 I have a complete set of luggage for the Tiger: Two large side cases ($30 each) and a smaller case for use as a top box ($60 off the scratch and dent page). All three came loaded with cubed foam.

While it is obvious that they are not Pelicans, I predict them to be 85% as good for 20% of the cost. That ALMOST offsets the guilt for not buying American.

I will post pics when I get around to mounting them. I'm thinking a custom rack modeled after the Wolfman stuff so I can also use soft bags and possibly RotoPax as well.

-Tom
Old 09-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #208
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL8APEX View Post
OK, Damn...

I just opened up the boxes from UPS, and I can't believe what I have before me.

For a total of approximately $120 I have a complete set of luggage for the Tiger: Two large side cases ($30 each) and a smaller case for use as a top box ($60 off the scratch and dent page). All three came loaded with cubed foam.

While it is obvious that they are not Pelicans, I predict them to be 85% as good for 20% of the cost. That ALMOST offsets the guilt for not buying American.

I will post pics when I get around to mounting them. I'm thinking a custom rack modeled after the Wolfman stuff so I can also use soft bags and possibly RotoPax as well.

-Tom
They look really nice. Are they similar material to Pelican/Storm/Seahorse? I've got seahorses but they're a little small. Would like some larger side cases if they're decent.

The wolfman racks are ready built, ready to go. And they have a mounting system for hard cases. I wished I would have went that way, they tuck in closer and look nicer when empty. The happy trails are stout, but stick out and won't work with a custom exhaust.

EDIT: BTW, was looking at your earlier post with product pic, and the ones you got have a lot more ribbing on the outside. Makes them more rigid, but a bitch to mount. I had to cut off any ribbing where the rack frames lie on mine so they would fit flush. That plastic is tough. A dremel just melts, so a razor blade was the only thing I tried that worked. That took more time than the entire mounting process.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #209
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
They look really nice. Are they similar material to Pelican/Storm/Seahorse? I've got seahorses but they're a little small. Would like some larger side cases if they're decent.

The wolfman racks are ready built, ready to go. And they have a mounting system for hard cases. I wished I would have went that way, they tuck in closer and look nicer when empty. The happy trails are stout, but stick out and won't work with a custom exhaust.

EDIT: BTW, was looking at your earlier post with product pic, and the ones you got have a lot more ribbing on the outside. Makes them more rigid, but a bitch to mount. I had to cut off any ribbing where the rack frames lie on mine so they would fit flush. That plastic is tough. A dremel just melts, so a razor blade was the only thing I tried that worked. That took more time than the entire mounting process.
I have Pelicans (pretty sure they are Pelicans) and I used a micrometer and the Pelican material is 50% thicker than these cases. I still think they'll do just fine.

BTW...I had the same issue mounting my Pelicans with the ribbing and in the end I used a chisel - worked a treat.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #210
IL8APEX
Adventurer

Very similar, although Chinese made and no lifetime warranty.

Lots of sizes / styles available at http://www.mcmelectronics.com/browse...oof/0000001435.

-Tom