Just Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #243
briansoren
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
Thanks foir that!

Couple more question if you don't mind... Have you seen any speed difference or mpg changes? Do you have a gps that you can tell the size difference is causing a difference in speed registered??
No difference in MPG that I can tell for now and my speedo is 1-2 mph off from what the GPS says. Not a concern at all.
briansoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:56 AM   #244
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,887
I installed the Wolfman rack yesterday, hoping to use my Kriega bags. It works. I just cut & paste from this thread below. Some might find it useful!

The US-30 works, but it seems a little oafish. US-20's look right. US-30 just looks big, but not nearly as out of place as most aluminum rectangles look. I only have a down sleeping bag stuffed in it so the bag takes a goofy shape. I'm sure if it was actually loaded it wouldn't look so funny. The bag is rock solid on the rack. Doesn't move at all. I may play around with some type of solid something in the bag to stiffen it up a little. It seems to need that.

US-20 fits the rack almost like its made for it.

I still need to play with the straps, and I need to get another set of alloy straps. They work better for this application giving more options for mounting. I may even try the rack loops for the bottom of the wolfman rack since there are two perfectly drilled holes in the rack already. Not sure what they're for, but I think the Kriega rack loops will screw in fine.

I strapped the top strap around the passenger grab rails. These aren't taking any of the weight. They're more just holding in place, then the bags are held tight to the rack with the straps. The Alloy loops work best around the subframe under the seat. Location seems just about perfect.

Once the straps are in place, the bags are on/off in seconds. Esp. with the alloy loops, you almost don't notice anything is there.

I tried strapping a US-10 to the US-20 and it just got weird. I think if the US-20 had a sidewall for rigidity it would work fine, but there was no support. That will have to be phase 2.

I'm not sure I would bother with this if I didn't already own my Kriega bags. It seems that there are other options out there that would be cheaper and give the same result, but for those of us that own these bags, but want to use them as panniers, this is an option. I haven't lived with this set up on the road yet, but it looks to me like it's going to work fine. Just from playing with it in my garage, it actually seems a lot easier to get on/off than using the bags in standard form on the seat.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #245
Stromtrooper246
Lost again

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
Did this require a re-map?
13 Tiger 800
02 Guzzi V11 Tenni *T105*
Stromtrooper246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:31 PM   #246
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromtrooper246 View Post
Did this require a re-map?
Require? No. If you remap you'll get a little HP boost at the cost of MPG.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #247
Pumpkinhead
Professional Azzhole

Oddometer: 560
How many of you are running the same size pannier on both sides? I was looking at the happy trails su side rack, but with the larger panniers installed it would be alittle under 4 feet wide.

Dave
Pumpkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #248
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkinhead View Post
How many of you are running the same size pannier on both sides? I was looking at the happy trails su side rack, but with the larger panniers installed it would be alittle under 4 feet wide.

Dave

I have the SE720 seahorse cases I brought over from my Versys. HT racks. They are right at 38" wide, just tolerable. I really don't like the space they left on the left side, but they insist their customers wanted them to be symetrical. I would have been happy with it sucked in at least 2" on the left side, would have still run the same cases.

Don't plan on running the SU racks with a Leo Vince...they won't bolt on together.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:19 AM   #249
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:

Dave
I do.
Panniers off Aprilia Pegaso 650 Garda. DYI rack. Stayed under bar width but it was only possible because of LeoVince.

bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:19 AM   #250
riceaterslc
Urinal Cake Engineer

Oddometer: 109
is there a list of racks that will or will not fit with an arrow exhaust?

specifically i'm looking at either touratech or wolfman.
thanks
riceaterslc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #251
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,165
I am gettin close to choosing some luggage for my 2013 Tiger and so far the Givi Trekker's seem to be at the top of the list. I like that I can mount up the two 33L on side and the 46L on top for a long trip, or just put 1- 33L in top for commuting around town. I keep re-reading this thread with all of the information and there are just too many options, pros, cons, etc...
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #252
Pumpkinhead
Professional Azzhole

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I have the SE720 seahorse cases I brought over from my Versys. HT racks. They are right at 38" wide, just tolerable. I really don't like the space they left on the left side, but they insist their customers wanted them to be symetrical. I would have been happy with it sucked in at least 2" on the left side, would have still run the same cases.

Don't plan on running the SU racks with a Leo Vince...they won't bolt on together.

HT & the Leo Vince won't work together? Thats a deal breaker cause I want that exhaust. Does anyone know of any fitment problems with the leo Vince and the SW-Motech rack?

Dave

Pumpkinhead screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 11:18 PM
Pumpkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:47 AM   #253
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:

Dave
I have the Happy Trails 9 inch panniers on the HT racks. I haven't measured how wide they are, but the HT site says 42 inches if I remember correctly. Wider than the handlebars, but not bothersome to me...I'm used to running panniers on motorcycles. I don't ride with them on all the time; just have them on when I need to, and use a little tailbag for smaller stuff.

Keep in mind that the pics are from my iphone, which has a pretty wide angle lens and distorts things a bit...things closer to the lens look larger than they actually are, and things further from the lens look smaller.

And reference exhaust fitment...I don't have a pic of it, but the HT rack does come close to the stock exhaust at the passenger footpeg and at one point on the rack itself. If an aftermarket exhaust sticks out any further than the stock setup at either of those two points, then they won't work.

'13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
'14 KLR...I love this thing!
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:10 AM   #254
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,857
Soldier,

If you don't mind me asking, which model of bags did you go with?
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:45 AM   #255
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysouth View Post
Soldier,

If you don't mind me asking, which model of bags did you go with?
Teton, 9 inch standard (not the cliff)

http://www.happy-trail.com/Triump-Ti...rs-Teton-.aspx

'13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
'14 KLR...I love this thing!
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote