Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #271
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
They are coming out with a bigger bag soon! I talked to Eric several months ago and saw it in person. I emailed them about it a few weeks ago and they said they are very close to releasing it.
Thats good to hear but I wonder if they will keep the same rack? I hope so. Don't know that I will buy the larger bags, though. The larger the bag, the more stuff I tend to carry whether I need it or not.
I have learned to pack pretty light. The larger bags might go well for a two-up trip with the wife.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #272
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Thats good to hear but I wonder if they will keep the same rack? I hope so. Don't know that I will buy the larger bags, though. The larger the bag, the more stuff I tend to carry whether I need it or not.
I have learned to pack pretty light. The larger bags might go well for a two-up trip with the wife.
In the long run it could really help to cut out carrying anything on top of the bike. Thats why I want them. I currently do this to keep the weight in tight. I don't keep anything heavy in the top box. It's just so handy to store valuables in...

fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #273
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,266
Quote:

Emailed Wolfman and got a prompt reply that they hope to have the larger bag out by the end of the month!
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #274
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
In the long run it could really help to cut out carrying anything on top of the bike. Thats why I want them. I currently do this to keep the weight in tight. I don't keep anything heavy in the top box. It's just so handy to store valuables in...

Are those Rollie Bags? How do you like them? I was thinking about something similar just for tubes and such but they looked a little big.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #275
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Are those Rollie Bags? How do you like them? I was thinking about something similar just for tubes and such but they looked a little big.
yep large rollies on each side. i like them. attached to the frame and side rack. works great. one has all my food and stove the other has tubes, tent, sleeping pad, etc. i was on the road for 9 days on this trip. like i said, the top box is not full at all.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #276
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
yep large rollies on each side. i like them. attached to the frame and side rack. works great. one has all my food and stove the other has tubes, tent, sleeping pad, etc. i was on the road for 9 days on this trip. like i said, the top box is not full at all.
Very nice. That may be the way I go accept the small rollies.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #277
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Very nice. That may be the way I go accept the small rollies.
i would get your eyes on them before you buy the small ones. they are tiny. good thing about the rollie bags is they are always compressible.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #278
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,316
There's also a mid-rolie. Might be just perfect.

The larger expeditions sound perfect. I may just keep my HT racks and go that way, add a fuel pax or tool compartment to the open space on the left side. Will all work out just fine. I was looking close at them last night with my Kolpin pax and I think it will mount in there just fine. Just need to make sure there's clearance for the swingarm. A cursory look appears to be okay.

I fill up my 52 liters of side cases, and another 26L top box. Plus a 35L roll-top bag as a bed roll. There are quite a number of items I bring that many skip. It's the difference between just making it work in camp, and feeling really comfortable.

Like camp shoes. After a day of riding I want my mx boots OFF!! So sandals or hiking shoes in summer, uggs in winter.
A down sweater. Same deal, I want my heavy riding jacket OFF.
A bottle of wine, mini cooler, extra water. I eat and drink merrily. I always have at least one ice cold beer to pop when I arrive in camp. Some just have a backpack meal or MRE. Yuck...not for me. Fresh ground coffee in the morning too, with cream and sugar.
A tent. A bivy is not for me. Warm down bag, sleeping pad, 2-man tent.
Extra tube, front and back, 12v air, ipod, extra gloves, socks. Sometimes a flyrod and tackle pack.

Even on my husky I can manage this stuff, but it does all add up. I imagine it ends up being about 50lbs of gear, plus what ever you're hauling it in. For me, I think 24-26L wolfman expedition bags would work out just fine.

Anyone know what their size is going to be compared to the current ones?
Old 01-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #279
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,266
"Above 30L" was all I got in the email.
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #280
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
There's also a mid-rolie. Might be just perfect.

The larger expeditions sound perfect. I may just keep my HT racks and go that way, add a fuel pax or tool compartment to the open space on the left side. Will all work out just fine. I was looking close at them last night with my Kolpin pax and I think it will mount in there just fine. Just need to make sure there's clearance for the swingarm. A cursory look appears to be okay.

I fill up my 52 liters of side cases, and another 26L top box. Plus a 35L roll-top bag as a bed roll. There are quite a number of items I bring that many skip. It's the difference between just making it work in camp, and feeling really comfortable.

Like camp shoes. After a day of riding I want my mx boots OFF!! So sandals or hiking shoes in summer, uggs in winter.
A down sweater. Same deal, I want my heavy riding jacket OFF.
A bottle of wine, mini cooler, extra water. I eat and drink merrily. I always have at least one ice cold beer to pop when I arrive in camp. Some just have a backpack meal or MRE. Yuck...not for me. Fresh ground coffee in the morning too, with cream and sugar.
A tent. A bivy is not for me. Warm down bag, sleeping pad, 2-man tent.
Extra tube, front and back, 12v air, ipod, extra gloves, socks. Sometimes a flyrod and tackle pack.

Even on my husky I can manage this stuff, but it does all add up. I imagine it ends up being about 50lbs of gear, plus what ever you're hauling it in. For me, I think 24-26L wolfman expedition bags would work out just fine.

Anyone know what their size is going to be compared to the current ones?
Holy smoke, Browneye! That's for just you? Man you really pack heavy for one guy. But hey, if your cooking every night and toting wine, coffee, etc I'm sure it all adds up. I guess I know who to camp with!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #281
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Holy smoke, Browneye! That's for just you? Man you really pack heavy for one guy. But hey, if your cooking every night and toting wine, coffee, etc I'm sure it all adds up. I guess I know who to camp with!

This last group ride was about 30 riders, we had 4 tigers that rode together and camped with the group. Sunday morning it was 19 degrees and yours truly heated up about 15 cups of coffee with my jetboil. Some brought coffee, via's, fresh ground. There were some very appreciative sleepy heads that morning.

We found a lot of mud and some ice, but we all made it through. None of the tiger riders went down. 585 miles from Friday afternoon to Sunday evening, about 200 of it dirt.

When I got home:

On the trail. Mine is in the center.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #282
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Very nice, Chris. Sounds like it was a blast. Do you use only a Jet Boil or do you take a primary cooking stove as well. And tell me about your coffee setup, please.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #283
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,939
Quote:
They are coming out with a bigger bag soon! I talked to Eric several months ago and saw it in person. I emailed them about it a few weeks ago and they said they are very close to releasing it.
yeah, I was emailing with Frank from Wolfman a month or so back and he was talking about them. Any details? I'm kinda holding out to see them before committing to anything else.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #284
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Very nice, Chris. Sounds like it was a blast. Do you use only a Jet Boil or do you take a primary cooking stove as well. And tell me about your coffee setup, please.
I've used all kinds of different stoves, having backpacked in the cascades of WA state from many years ago. The Jetboil is the greatest invention since sliced bread. I hope those guys get rich. For variety there are some really good recipes on their website for creative cooking. One of my favorites is Oink-Oink CoosCoos, which is canned ham and cooscoos with a bunch of spices and stuff that makes a fantastic meal. I made Upside Down Peach Cobbler on one trip, was pretty trippy that it worked.

I go to bed at night dreaming about a cup of coffee in the morning. Starbucks... yum. I like a french press but for motorbiking I get by with the MSR gold filter and a stainless insulated mug. I have to drink half decalf, so I always have both regular and decaf and grind it, mix it, take some with. I haven't bothered with the french press setup for the jetboil. It's more convenient not to have to clean it. You just dump the grounds and rinse, hit the road. Pic below of the MSR "Mugmate".

For wintertime dualsport trips I pack the jetboil and via coffees and instant soup mix for a hot beverage on the trail. Sure warms you up when it's cold outside. If it rains or snows there's nothing better.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #285
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I've used all kinds of different stoves, having backpacked in the cascades of WA state from many years ago. The Jetboil is the greatest invention since sliced bread. I hope those guys get rich. For variety there are some really good recipes on their website for creative cooking. One of my favorites is Oink-Oink CoosCoos, which is canned ham and cooscoos with a bunch of spices and stuff that makes a fantastic meal. I made Upside Down Peach Cobbler on one trip, was pretty trippy that it worked.

I go to bed at night dreaming about a cup of coffee in the morning. Starbucks... yum. I like a french press but for motorbiking I get by with the MSR gold filter and a stainless insulated mug. I have to drink half decalf, so I always have both regular and decaf and grind it, mix it, take some with. I haven't bothered with the french press setup for the jetboil. It's more convenient not to have to clean it. You just dump the grounds and rinse, hit the road. Pic below of the MSR "Mugmate".

For wintertime dualsport trips I pack the jetboil and via coffees and instant soup mix for a hot beverage on the trail. Sure warms you up when it's cold outside. If it rains or snows there's nothing better.

Thanks, Chris. That's great info. I'm definitely going to look into the gold filter. Kinda on the fence between the Jetboil, MSR Dragonfly, or a Stevor Stove.