Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #421
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
Yeah that's what i was thinking of doing for commuting too... just seems too big lol

I have also heard that a lot in terms of soft bags. Do they do a decent amount of protection for the bike?
I love my seahorse 720 case as a topbox. Fits perfect on the CJ Designs rack, holds a ton of stuff, and has a backrest for the pillion. With the four strap bars I can put other gear on top. It's just a little wider than the grab handles back there, and doesn't look like an alien space ship following me. That they are $52 is just icing.

No, my helmet doesnt fit in it. If I'm really worried about it I bring it in with me. I want a cable lock for helmet(s) and jacket(s) when that is the only option.

Soft bags aren't so much to protect the bike as they are to keep you from running over your own leg offroad. Lot's a GS'rs with broken feet/ankles.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #422
gallowaystx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quick question.

What is regarded as the narrowest rack solution? I guess specifically the quick release ones - givi, sw motech or HB (are there others?)

I ride in a city 90% of the time with topbox only - that's why I'm interested in the removable ones.
gallowaystx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #423
Cabriolet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowaystx View Post
Quick question.

What is regarded as the narrowest rack solution? I guess specifically the quick release ones - givi, sw motech or HB (are there others?)

I ride in a city 90% of the time with topbox only - that's why I'm interested in the removable ones.
SW Motech get a big thumbs up from me, really simple to take on and off, can be locked on for security, are tough looking, though I have never rested my bike on them myself they look up to the job. and are adaptable to suit all kinds of different bags and boxes.

The SW Motech ones are asymmetric, so you can fit a big box on one side and a smaller box on the exhaust side and be the same width either side overall.

I cant speak for any of the other makes.
Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #424
freefall109
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Quick question.

Don't know about the others but FWIW, Touratech Rack is 21.125" from edge to edge. For reference the widest part of bike is is tip of handguard to the opposing side, which is just over 35"
Old 08-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #425
gallowaystx
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall109 View Post
Don't know about the others but FWIW, Touratech Rack is 21.125" from edge to edge. For reference the widest part of bike is is tip of handguard to the opposing side, which is just over 35"
Expensive and not easily removable. I don't have a need for the racks most of the time so I would prefer to leave them off. Right now I travel with a topbox and kriega gear - ill post a picture - but my wife is threatening to want to come two up touring so...
Old 08-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #426
gallowaystx
Gnarly Adventurer

Picture as promised - best one I have unfortunately.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #427
InTheLoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Quick question.

What is regarded as the narrowest rack solution?
I have to ask why it'd matter since every rack is narrower than your shoulders nevermind the 36"(ish) handlebars.

I'd guess that the Jesse rack is the narrowest given that they are adjustable in width. You'll notice that lots of people here have their Jesse's pulled in close to the bike which means that the racks are likewise pulled in.

The Wolfman racks are 22" wide with the distance off of the subframe of 8" on the right and 5" on the left.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #428
gallowaystx
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLoo View Post
I have to ask why it'd matter since every rack is narrower than your shoulders nevermind the 36"(ish) handlebars.

I'd guess that the Jesse rack is the narrowest given that they are adjustable in width. You'll notice that lots of people here have their Jesse's pulled in close to the bike which means that the racks are likewise pulled in.

The Wolfman racks are 22" wide with the distance off of the subframe of 8" on the right and 5" on the left.
I like the look of the bike without the racks so I would prefer a quick release solution for the 90% of the time that I don't need it.

Loaded up however, the total width is a concern (and the rack obviously plays a part in that) so I am looking to maximize the amount i can carry without growing too big of an ass.

If I was going to just leave them on 100% of the time I would likely go with the wolfman racks I think. They look the cleanest and are nice and narrow. The TT are awesome too but oh so expensive.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #429
GtiKyle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
My setup:

Givi quick release rack
Altrider top plate
Twisted Throttle Pelican mounts (side boxes)

Givi E45 with backrest
Pelican storm im2600's
Givi 491 tankbag

GtiKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #430
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 927
FWEIW, I fabricated a quick release rack system thinking the clean sexy lines of the Tiger was a high priority and they would get in the way when trail riding.
Now that I have over 6K miles, I haven't taken them off once, and they come off with three bolts, about 1 minutes work.
The protection to the bike while trail riding, or Tiger napping, far out weighs the look of the bike with the racks on. I know I would have structural damage if it wasn't for the racks.

But I place a high priority on "adventure" riding and pushing the Tiger to it's limits, slab and dirt roads are a necessary evil to get me to the playground.

Quote:
I like the look of the bike without the racks so I would prefer a quick release solution for the 90% of the time that I don't need it.

If I was going to just leave them on 100% of the time I would likely go with the wolfman racks I think.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #431
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,123
Quote:
If I was going to just leave them on 100% of the time I would likely go with the wolfman racks I think. They look the cleanest and are nice and narrow.
If it were me I would do this anyway, wolfmans and leave them on. The passenger peg brackets can be damaged on a hard lay down (or even not so hard). As mentioned, side racks offer some extra protection. The Wolfman racks with their oval circle are probably the best looking ones out there. And they tuck in pretty close on the left side. Can be used with soft bags or hard cases. Set 'em and forget 'em.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #432
gallowaystx
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
FWEIW, I fabricated a quick release rack system thinking the clean sexy lines of the Tiger was a high priority and they would get in the way when trail riding.
Now that I have over 6K miles, I haven't taken them off once, and they come off with three bolts, about 1 minutes work.
The protection to the bike while trail riding, or Tiger napping, far out weighs the look of the bike with the racks on. I know I would have structural damage if it wasn't for the racks.

But I place a high priority on "adventure" riding and pushing the Tiger to it's limits, slab and dirt roads are a necessary evil to get me to the playground.
Understood - I ride 99% road with some gravel roads up to the campsite thrown in. Mine is an urban assault vehicle most of the time.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #433
freefall109
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Understood - I ride 99% road with some gravel roads up to the campsite thrown in. Mine is an urban assault vehicle most of the time.
Nothing wrong with that. I bought the TT because they are some of the most sturdy of the market. My Tiger happens to take "naps" regularly so my racks have to double as protection. Hepco Becker makes some very quick disconnects if you aren't aware. http://advdepot.com/lock-it-pannier-...800-800xc.html
Old 08-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #434
TigerMarker
Ducati/Triumph

Oddometer: 79
I just installed the Hepco and Beckers. Very easy install and very easy to take on and off the bike.
'75 Norton Commando 850 (Sold)
'02 Ducati MH900e (Sold)
TigerMarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #435
TigerMarker
Ducati/Triumph

Oddometer: 79
This shot belongs in here I suppose. GlobeScouts with HB lock it racks.

'75 Norton Commando 850 (Sold)
'02 Ducati MH900e (Sold)
TigerMarker is offline   Reply With Quote