Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #31
etyson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphish View Post
Happy Trails SU rack for tigers will accomodate any hard pannier that has a flat mounting surface & can be used for drybags as well. Good as auxillary frame sliders when bags are on / off too.

I was thinking about the HT SU racks with 1450 pelicans for a compact form factor around town. Small storage plus a place to put my armored jacket, gloves, etc.

Then, what I really need is a 2" thick top box that expands like an accordion to one-foot tall box to accommodate a helmet when I'm stopped.......
etyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #32
gallowaystx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by etyson View Post
what I really need is a 2" thick top box that expands like an accordion to one-foot tall box to accommodate a helmet when I'm stopped.......
+1 to that!
gallowaystx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #33
SpecialAgentNancy
& your little dog 2!

Oddometer: 487
Ortlieb

Been reading this thread, saw at the beginning that someone mentioned they have ortlieb soft saddle bags, so do I.
I don't use hard panniers ever (I guess I don't pack that much even on my month long trips through Europe) anyhoo....having a hard time figuring out which rack option is best.

1. I will never use hard cases, only my ortlieb soft bags
2. I need an inexpensive rack to get the exhaust bag away so it won't burn/melt
3. I want a rack that has a bar across the back so that if I do go down, it won't bend in
4. I don't care how pretty it looks, I'm going for cheap but strong

I've looked at Caribou, Happy Trails and Touratech.

Want to stay under $300

Advice with links to the frames only would be ideal thanks...some abbreviations on manufacturers had me spending way too much time on google
Old 04-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #34
MisterPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Maybe make your own? This frame setup, 3/4 steel square tubing, basically two rectangles with support arms, and crossbar, ran less than $15 in stock, plus bolts/nuts.

MisterPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #35
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialAgentNancy View Post
Been reading this thread, saw at the beginning that someone mentioned they have ortlieb soft saddle bags, so do I.
I don't use hard panniers ever (I guess I don't pack that much even on my month long trips through Europe) anyhoo....having a hard time figuring out which rack option is best.

3. I want a rack that has a bar across the back so that if I do go down, it won't bend in

Want to stay under $300

Advice with links to the frames only would be ideal thanks...some abbreviations on manufacturers had me spending way too much time on google
Happy Trails gets my vote.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #36
Bad-Tat
800 XC

Oddometer: 125
Tourtech 35L bags. Kept the ones from my Dakar. The right side hangs out there a bit but can't split lanes anywhere on the East Coast so not much of an issue.

1995 XR 650L, Tiger 800 XC, 72 Triumph T100R, 86 SRX 6, 05 FLSTSCI, 13 Vespa 300, 08 Versys, 14 Grom
Bad-Tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #37
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialAgentNancy View Post

Want to stay under $300

I'm seriously thinking Ortlieb as well. Is the only reason you want a rack is to keep the bag off the exhaust? If so, how about this?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #38
wiskee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
After much hand-wringing, I ended up with the Touratech Zegas. So far, works great. I opted for the standard bags (not the cut away on the muffler) with 38l/45l boxes which have a pretty symmetrical feel. I haven't had much off-road use, but on the freeway, there isn't much problem with wind, etc.
wiskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #39
SpecialAgentNancy
& your little dog 2!

already got a heat shield and its not enough
Old 04-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #40
jphish OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
I have the Ortlieb soft bags & 38L zega pros. The HT symetrical rack (same width both sides) work fine for either. Havent "crash" tested yet - but sure 'beta' test will come in due course. Zegas for fishing / camping trips - Ortlieb for just dirt fun. Soft bags just arent sufficient volume for all the gear I schlep (copious quantities of food, waders, boots, fly rods, reels, 4 flyboxes, tent, sleeping bag etc etc. for camping & fishing. But OK for just one or the other & great otherwise. Also use 70L sealine bag for 'topper' over side cases - looks like the Clampets coming to town.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #41
jphish OP
Studly Adventurer

MisterPX - those look great! Nice job. Why dont you fab a set up for 'special agent Nancy' ? About $250 cheaper than HT's.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #42
MisterPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Now you got me thinking, I might just build another set. This time, I'll fix some measurement issues I had with version 1 ( didn't account for subframe taper, so racks are at an angle to the bike).

I wonder if I'll get pulled over carrying a 12' length of steel like a medieval jouster?
MisterPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:27 AM   #43
jphish OP
Studly Adventurer

As long as you have a little red flag on the tip & wear a helmet...you should be fine. Jousting is legal on Freeways here ...just not on secondary roads. With the square tubing, your racks look a lot like the HT SU model. Also like the ammo case - good use of the 'space'.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #44
SpecialAgentNancy
& your little dog 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphish View Post
MisterPX - those look great! Nice job. Why dont you fab a set up for 'special agent Nancy' ? About $250 cheaper than HT's.

Love the idea and open to it. Your racks look beefier than the HT and I've heard complaints from GS owners of the tiny clearance between the back and exhaust, one small bend and it would be touching.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #45
jphish OP
Studly Adventurer

S.A.N - Uh...yep. That can happen alright. SU racks need about another 1/4 - 1/2" space on exhaust side. But geez...theyre already hippo width size! No lane splitting with these racks. Of course, not legal here anyway. If MrPX fabs another set - you ought to snag his old ones. Looks like nice work! Chow' j