Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #61
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep View Post

Jesus. I wonder if they could make the right rack stick out a little further. There's still not quite enough room to park a truck between the exhaust pipe and the pannier.

Other than that, though, they are nice racks and boxes. I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on luggage. I could get a pretty decent used dirtbike for that price... or two pitbikes, one for myself and one for a friend to race me around my lawn on!

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #62
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep View Post
I have the 31/38L size. Below is a photo from the rear. No arguments from me on the price. I only paid the bill because I had recently sold a business and had a little cash I could spare. Of course now I'm trying to sell the bike, so I will lose my shirt!

Shep

Thanks Shep,

Ya, it looks like they designed the rack to accomdate the giant stock exhaust that comes on our Tiger's. Wish they had sized it for the Arrow can.....would have made the overall width better.

Selling the Tiger.....may I ask why??
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #63
SpecialAgentNancy
& your little dog 2!

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I would wager every single after-market exhaust is smaller/lighter then the EU-mandated silencer. I have a Scorpion that I am very happy with. If you are in the market for an after-market can, while Arrow is a quality item, there are other, much cheaper options that also don't require a new map. I have heard (IIRC) that the Arrow can/map increases fuel consumption.
I am in the market for a lighter can but I don't want it louder, the engine as most of you know sounds like a jet, don't want to drown that out.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #64
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialAgentNancy View Post
I am in the market for a lighter can but I don't want it louder, the engine as most of you know sounds like a jet, don't want to drown that out.
I can only speak to the Scorpion that I have and with the baffle in, it's really not any louder than stock - different sound for sure but not really not louder.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #65
Shep
Vagabond

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Breeze View Post
Thanks Shep,

Ya, it looks like they designed the rack to accomdate the giant stock exhaust that comes on our Tiger's. Wish they had sized it for the Arrow can.....would have made the overall width better.

Selling the Tiger.....may I ask why??
I'm selling the Tiger to fund the purchase of another item. I have a Street Triple R as well, and I tend to ride it more than the Tiger.

Shep
Old 04-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #66
bug67
Hazard Avoidance

Oddometer: 715
Micatech

I have the Micatech panniers on my Tiger. Here they are featured from Micatech's web site:

http://micatech.net/photo-gallery/triumph

The side openings are NOT large enough to fit a helmet through.

When stuffed full of gear, the locks are kinda fidgety.

The handle bars on the Tiger are 34" tip to tip. The Micatech panniers (I am running a 10" on the left and an 8" on the right) with the mounting racks are 40" wide. I've accidentally clipped some poor lady's rear bumper in a parking lot miss judging distance needed to clear the right side of the bike. No damage was done to either vehicle.
Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
bug67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #67
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterPX View Post
Maybe make your own? This frame setup, 3/4 steel square tubing, basically two rectangles with support arms, and crossbar, ran less than $15 in stock, plus bolts/nuts.

Hmm... Side view, sans bag?
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #68
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The Arrow can sounds nice, IMO, although the engine no longer sounds like a jet.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #69
nhspirit
Just Ride

Oddometer: 101
I have the new Micatech panniers and brackets for the Tiger (prototype) both 10 inch and measures 36 inches across.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #70
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhspirit View Post
I have the new Micatech panniers and brackets for the Tiger (prototype) both 10 inch and measures 36 inches across.

That's interesting. Be interesting to hear how functional you find the exhaust-side one to be. I know the OEM panniers, the left bag is HUGE, the right one eh not so much.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #71
nhspirit
Just Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
That's interesting. Be interesting to hear how functional you find the exhaust-side one to be. I know the OEM panniers, the left bag is HUGE, the right one eh not so much.
There seems to be quite a bit of room, actually. I also have the Jesse Odyssey II and the exhaust side is a bit narrow.

Not a great pic.

jesse exhaust side
Old 04-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #72
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Quote:
Old 04-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #73
CCBonnie
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I can only speak to the Scorpion that I have and with the baffle in, it's really not any louder than stock - different sound for sure but not really not louder.
Where did you get the Scorpion?I haven't been able to find much on them,are you running the stock tune?
CCBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #74
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhspirit View Post
Would be very interesting to know whether a narrower exhaust would make a non-cutout pannier possible. I had that done with Micatech V-Pilot and a Hattech exhaust and it was incredibly narrow with two 8" (37L) panniers:

Liked the panniers, but would actually prefer a really boxy top loading shape with their Pilot mounting system to be able to use a full sized inner liner bag.

What I would like even more is if the panniers were bolted to a narrow frame that could then connect to the actual bike mounts. Would make it possible to use the same set of panniers on different bikes. But I'm likely dreaming now.

For now I'm staying with soft panniers as hard cases are just getting too expensive if I keep changing bikes as much ...
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #75
nhspirit
Just Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Would be very interesting to know whether a narrower exhaust would make a non-cutout pannier possible. I had that done with Micatech V-Pilot and a Hattech exhaust and it was incredibly narrow with two 8" (37L) panniers:

Liked the panniers, but would actually prefer a really boxy top loading shape with their Pilot mounting system to be able to use a full sized inner liner bag.

What I would like even more is if the panniers were bolted to a narrow frame that could then connect to the actual bike mounts. Would make it possible to use the same set of panniers on different bikes. But I'm likely dreaming now.

For now I'm staying with soft panniers as hard cases are just getting too expensive if I keep changing bikes as much ...
I like the narrow profile on your bike. If I didn't have the cutout, would have probably gone with the 8". Although it would force me to pack less which I am working on.