Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #76
MisterPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Hmm... Side view, sans bag?
Off the bike for now while I mess with Nancy's rack. Bags attach like caribou's.

MisterPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #77
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,423

Of those listed and pictured so far… I think I would go with the Micatech or the Caribou. No Top Box for me.

Kriega has some great top bag options.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #78
Ronin1
Hoonigan

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterPX View Post
Off the bike for now while I mess with Nancy's rack.
Okay, I'm sorry but this made me chuckle!

Jim
Ronin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #79
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Moonsoon Bags

I just got these yesterday. Waiting on the Givi rack to show up, then I'll post a couple more pictures. I was wondering how big these got, the only thing I have to compare against is my 62 liter backpack. But now seeing them they seem really big, and there will be more than enough room for my backpacking gear.

http://www.enduristan.com/en/products/monsoon.html

UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:26 AM   #80
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,470
Which Givi rack did you get?

I'm thinking about the quick release rack with the Trekker boxes....
Old 04-26-2012, 06:47 AM   #81
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
Question re. the Givi & the Monsoon's - was there a specific reason you decided on the Givi rack for your monsoon soft bags?
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #82
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Which Givi rack did you get?

I'm thinking about the quick release rack with the Trekker boxes....
I got the PLR6401 from here...

http://www.cli-maxridinggear.com/ser...ardware/Detail

The PLR6401 is the rapid release, my bike is my daily driver so I thought it'd be nice to be able to just go with a topbox when I'm at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeast
Question re. the Givi & the Monsoon's - was there a specific reason you decided on the Givi rack for your monsoon soft bags?
Mainly cost, which was $135 shipped. I was looking for 3 things in a rack; a rack to keep the soft luggage off the pipe, one that I could get a Rotopax or a couple of tool canisters on the inward side of the non-pipe side (http://www.agrisupply.com/operators-...ister/p/67670/), and lastly racks that would take hard luggage down the road.

So the first two things probably could have been accomplished using any rack, and for $135 delivered to my door (less than half the price of any other rack I've run across), that was enough for me to pull the trigger. I was originally looking at the Wolfman bags & rack, but the drybag panniers they have are 19-21 liters and I didn't think that'd be enough for me. These Monsoons are 15-30 liters each. So since I wasn't buying the Wolfman bags, and the rack is $299 I started looking elsewhere.

I also frequent Triumphrat.net and another user there said he had a friend who mounted a Rotopax on this Givi rack. I figure it wouldn't be hard to do this, but just knowing someone else already has was enough for me. The third thing was getting a rack that I could put hard cases on. I don't particularly care for the Givi cases, once I do get them I'm leaning Hepco-Becker or Jesse. If they fit on this rack, great - if not I'm 'out' $135 and have to buy a more specific rack for the hard cases, not a huge deal. Who knows, maybe I'll wind up with the Givis. I'm envisioning using hard cases for true tarmac touring, like maybe visiting a friend in another city - something where I want to be able to lock the cases, but this is probably next year at the earliest.

As I live in Salt Lake, there are a myriad places that I can ride from desert to high alpine so I don't really have to go that far afield to get adventure. I suppose it's possible that I will never buy hard luggage at all, only time will tell.

Hope this helps :)
Old 04-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #83
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
Thanks for the feedback. Like your way of thinking. Do post up pics once everything is together.
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #84
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeast View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Like your way of thinking. Do post up pics once everything is together.
Sure will. Lots of stuff coming in the next week; the rack in question, Leo Vince slip-on, SW-Motech skid plate just to name a few.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #85
2mpulsv
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterPX View Post
Off the bike for now while I mess with Nancy's rack.
Video of this "messing with" would be nice
2mpulsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #86
shadygrady
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Mainly cost, which was $135 shipped.
I bought GIVI racks for the same reason as well as a set of fuerte cases http://www.fuertecases.com/Merchant2...roduct_Count=7

After mocking up a set of quick detach mounts, it was less than $300 when it was all said and done. Very similar to the caribou system.
shadygrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #87
Flying Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Anybody with Jesse Bags and an aftermarket exhaust have any fitment or clearance issues? I have Jesse's on order and am looking at pipes and thought I would ask.

Thanks.
Flying Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #88
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,527
Jesse's come with an exhaust extension that pushes the front up so the muffler is more horizontal. Also, he has spacers on the exhaust side rack so you can move that side in closer with an aftermarket exhaust. I still have a stock can, but I don't see why any muffler would be a problem.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #89
invicta1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Had them only a few days, but I've got to give a big thumbs up to the Givi Trekkers, with the PL6401 quick remove racks. Price is great, function is great, build quality is great, light weight. Good looking imo, but don't have Nancy's rack for relative comparison, so your nearest rack may in fact be your best in that regard.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #90
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by invicta1 View Post
Had them only a few days, but I've got to give a big thumbs up to the Givi Trekkers, with the PL6401 quick remove racks. Price is great, function is great, build quality is great, light weight. Good looking imo, but don't have Nancy's rack for relative comparison, so your nearest rack may in fact be your best in that regard.
Good to hear. I should have my rack today, but won't be able to install until tomorrow. Are the Trekkers side or top load?