User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,390
The Superbug rides to Lake Roosevelt, WA

With a three day weekend I felt I needed to get out for a bit. I got off to a late start but by about 2:00 P.M. I had the Superbug loaded up and ready to go for a ride.

I planned to go to Molson, WA which is a ghost town I have been wanting to go to for a while and decided I'd take a few roads I haven't been on while I was on the way. It started with traveling on a farm road not far on my house that I had never been on. There sure were some nice farms out there.

A little blast from the past.

The North/South freeway being built in Spokane, WA. This will really be nice when it's done but boy it sure has been a long time coming.

So often when I'm out riding different place, road or things bring up memories. At this intersection I remember one winter day being out for a ride with my boyfriend at the time and a car made a left turn in front of us. We had a green light and were going about 40 mph. The car had been behind a car that was stalled and it swung around the stalled car and was in front of my boyfriend before the driver knew what hit her. She didn't see us and certainly not watching for motorcycles in the middle of winter. I watched my boyfriend hit the car, fly over it, and land in the middle of the highway. I slammed on my brakes hit a patch of gravel and my bike went down. Both the car and my boyfriend's bike were totaled. My bike only had a few scratches. My boyfriend was taken off to the hospital by ambulance but he kept telling me he was OK, I wasn't so sure I could believe he was OK after that. The lady driving the car was hysterical and I was scared. Luckily no one was hurt. My boyfriend checked out fine only bruised. It sure was horrible watching him fly over that car and land on the highway. I think of that day every time I go through this intersection. Motorcycling is fun but as we all know it's not without it's hazards.

Well that's not a good story to start off a ride report is it? How about I try and come up with something better?

This is a road I ride often. Rutter Parkway winds it's way through the forest and is just a nice piece of pavement. It also takes me to the far NW side of Spokane with out going through the main areas.

More farmland out in the 9-Mile area. The farmers were harvesting wheat Saturday, no three day weekend for them.

Old abandoned houses always make me think of the people that once lived there. Were they happy? Did their dreams come true? How large was their family?

I took a road, going the direction I wanted to go then I realized, I've been here before . . . . ah crap a gate.

Time to turn the Superbug around and I was glad I was on this bike and not my F650. Isn't this a sweet looking bike?

OK turned around and time to find a different road.

Back out to where the farmers were working.

Ah, this road will work to get me where I want to be.

I just wasted about 30 minutes and reminded myself I started late and should be making better time. Things don't always work as planned though. I didn't even have a plan as to where I was going to camp that night I was just headed out.

More to come......
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
Eris
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Eris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,395
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,957

Love it. Used to live at 9 mile.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #5
jayme
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Great RR! I've seen too many bike wrecks, it's very sobering. So glad everything worked out that day.
jayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
Nice to see you out and about!
the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
looks like a nice ride
thanks for the great pictures and sharing your trip with us
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,868

I do believe your pictures are getting better

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
joelietz
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Not much traffic either from the looks of things. It must have been a nice ride.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #10
Kodanja
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Nice Photos!....I love these kind of backcountry roads through farmland, old barns, and farmhouses. Looking forward to more.

Kodanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #11
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud Al View Post

I do believe your pictures are getting better
Sometimes I actually pay attention to the things you tell me and learn little bit here and there.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #12
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eris View Post
Hi, I enjoyed your Mt. St. Helens report and I'm glad you it's nice to know you are checking this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
Wine and no chocolate? You know better than that, where's the chocolate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post

Love it. Used to live at 9 mile.
9-mile is a great place to ride. There's lots of exploring out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayme View Post
Great RR! I've seen too many bike wrecks, it's very sobering. So glad everything worked out that day.
Yep, sometimes I try to push those memories away but it's all part of where I am now. It's always good when we walk away from the bad things and still move on. It also shows how much good riding gear really does make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the darth peach View Post
Nice to see you out and about!
Heck, after you took a ladybug for a ride in your ride report I had to get the Superbug out for a ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
looks like a nice ride
thanks for the great pictures and sharing your trip with us
It was a very nice ride. Sometimes I forget just how good we have it in this area then I get out there and remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelietz View Post
Not much traffic either from the looks of things. It must have been a nice ride.
Nope, not much traffic at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodanja View Post
Nice Photos!....I love these kind of backcountry roads through farmland, old barns, and farmhouses. Looking forward to more.
Thank you. I like that type of thing too.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #13
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

I made my way to the Spokane_Indian_Reservation and Wellpinit, WA

Following the West-End road was very nice as it wound through the forest and past a few small lakes.

Even though I knew I was pushing it for the time of day and wondering where I would camp that night I rode right on past a few small campgrounds out in the middle of no where on the reservation. I don't know what the regulations are for camping on the reservation so I figured I better play it safe and not camp there.

This view is always breath taking as you come out of the forest and start to go around a corner and there it is the first view of Lake_Roosevelt

Lake Roosevelt is above Coulee Dam and is the lake created when the Mighty Columbia was dammed.

There are glimpses of the lake as the road winds it's way around, climbs, descends and cuts through the rocks.

I saw this church and needed to stop.

After I left my mother's home when I was 16 I stopped going to church but even though I no longer attend church some things have stayed with me. When I'm traveling I often stop at churches, I love old historic churches and small town cemeteries. These are peaceful places and they are nice places to stop and reflect on the good things in life. I usually say a few prayers for people I care about just because it makes me feel good. At this church I took the time to say a prayer for a couple people. One revolved around health and family, the other around strength and happiness. It seems that at least one of those prayer has already been answered.

I'm not Catholic but my Grandmother was and I think of her often.

This church was a little more special than most as it has a welcoming committee. These two gals had me giggling. They were awful sweet and were romping and playing then would come to me for petting. There is a house close by they came from and I'm sure they greet all the church visitors.

Back on the road and it wasn't long until I was a Hunters, WA. I passed this place, went down the road a couple miles then returned to go check out a campground and stopped this time. For some reason this disturbed me. The church I attended growing up didn't display crosses and the members don't wear crosses but seeing crosses does create emotions inside me and seeing this one displayed like this bothered me.

Earlier in the day I had the TV on and an episode of Walker Texas Ranger was on. I like Chuck Norris, what can I say. It as a little odd since it was a Christmas episode playing on Labor Day weekend but I watched it. The theme was about forgiveness and how Jesus was nailed to the cross but yet forgave the people who did that to him. It made me think of a lot of things and maybe that is why the fallen cross bothered me.

The building looked like it might have been a church at one time and there is a nice church across the street. I wonder if that cross bothers the folks that go to church there or if I'm the only one that it bothers.

From there I went and checked out a campground which was way too full of people. Duh, holiday weekend, lake, campground, boat launch and beautiful weather . . . . Oh this could be bad.

When I can start playing with my shadow I know I'm out too late. I really, really, really don't like riding after dark.

Like the wallpaper sticks to the wall
Like the seashore clings to the sea
Like you'll never get rid of your shadow
You'll never get rid of me

Me and my shadow
We're closer than pages that stick in a book
We're closer than ripples that flow in a brook
Strolling down the avenue
Wherever you find him, you'll find me, just look

Before we get finished, we'll make the town roar
We'll hit a few late spots, and then a few more
We'll wind up at Stringy's and maybe grab show
Life is gonna be we-wow-whee!
For my shadow and me!

I did plan to visit the Cedonia Community church while the prior churches were random stops.

The church was built in the late 1800s and is still in use. The grounds around it are beautiful and the cemetery is well groomed.

There is a very nice memorial honoring veterans and a young man that died serving our country.

I said a prayer and sent positive thoughts to these people:

Radioman who is riding long days this week to get to Wetfest to see many of his friends before he leaves on his Round The World ride: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=689134

Simon and Lisa who have been having a rough go during their travels. These two people are inspirational:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161983

These five Firefirghters riding to New York to attend the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720488 That will be one heck of an emotional event.

And a prayer for all the people in the military as well as the victims and heroes in NY 10 years ago. I remember being at work and a gal said a plane just crashed into the world trade center. There weren't many of us at work yet and we all went to the lunch room and watch the news coverage on the TV. Like so many other I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I can't even image being in NY on that day.

Me and my shadow sure were thinking of a lot of people and I should have been thinking about getting myself set up at a camp some where.

I was moving again but the sun was setting fast.

I stopped at Gifford campground and was pleased to spot an empty campsite. I pulled in, looked around and decided - - - - Oh hell no, I'm not staying here. The place was party central. It was getting dusk and I was now starting to get a little concerned. I decided the best thing to do would be not to stop at any more campgrounds because they would all be the same and make a bee line for Kettle Falls and hope I could find a room. Kettle Falls was less than 30 miles away but even with that I knew I wouldn't make it before dark.

It wasn't even two miles and I spotted another campground but this time it looked close to empty, I decided to give it a shot because I really didn't want to go to Kettle Falls and get a room. I pulled in and discovered it was quiet, only two campsites were in use and only two more available so even if it did fill up there still wouldn't be many people there. The sites were a distance from each other too. They were walk in sites but the walk was short. My tent was set up and bike unpacked using a flashlight and the view from my site was incredible.

There is more to come but no more churches. Sorry to all the folks that aren't into that sort of thing.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #14
Kodanja
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
I think riding solo can bring out the spiritual feeling inside us. It gives us the time to really think about the important things in life and also to reflect on our own life and pray for the ones we love and care for. Ride on!
Kodanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #15
Eris
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Damn, I have a couple of farmer friends in Kettle Falls. Would I have known I'd have found them and sent you info... likely you could crash on their land. Great people, great area.
Eris is offline   Reply With Quote