Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2011, 02:13 AM   #16
caver
Missouri The Cave State

Oddometer: 659
I've walked and climbed Tower Rock. I've also sat on the front porch of the old store in Farrar drinking a soda and having a candy bar. Maybe 12 years ago. We were in the area cave exploring.

Bollinger Mill on the Whitewater River is still standing. Not to be confused with the more well known Bollinger MIll State Historic Area.
My buddy got a chance to see what's left of the insides several years ago.
N37 32.685 W89 57.054
The old iron bridge just up the road has been closed though so keep that in mind when routing.

caver screwed with this post 07-20-2011 at 02:23 AM
caver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:10 AM   #17
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,725
Jayhawkfan,
I'm a Mizzou grad, so you can only imagine how much it pains me to even type J--------,
Great RR, I've been through most of where you went.. Did you cross over to IL?
Also, you've probably had em, as I've seen a million bike there, but the onion rings at the Anvil Restaurant in downtown St Gen are the best.. I think the ferry that goes across to IL from there is still closed due to the high water..
Thanks for posting the pics and the story.

Jeff
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:40 AM   #18
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by caver View Post
I've walked and climbed Tower Rock. I've also sat on the front porch of the old store in Farrar drinking a soda and having a candy bar. Maybe 12 years ago. We were in the area cave exploring.

Bollinger Mill on the Whitewater River is still standing. Not to be confused with the more well known Bollinger MIll State Historic Area.
My buddy got a chance to see what's left of the insides several years ago.
N37 32.685 W89 57.054
The old iron bridge just up the road has been closed though so keep that in mind when routing.
I am finding out the Bollinger's were quite prosperous and owned a number of mill in the area.

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #19
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildwoodMOCruiser View Post
Jayhawkfan,
I'm a Mizzou grad, so you can only imagine how much it pains me to even type J--------,
Great RR, I've been through most of where you went.. Did you cross over to IL?
Also, you've probably had em, as I've seen a million bike there, but the onion rings at the Anvil Restaurant in downtown St Gen are the best.. I think the ferry that goes across to IL from there is still closed due to the high water..
Thanks for posting the pics and the story.

Jeff
Jeff, there is nothing to be ashamed about being an MU grad. Not everyone is accepted to KU.

I did not cross into IL however the ferry was open and running.

The rings at the Anvil are great. I have had them on a previous trip, years ago.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #20
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

The next day I was up early to ride to some of the mills in the area. My first stop was Montauk Mill located at Montauk State Park. The mill built in 1896 and was center of the Montauk Community until the 1920's. In 1940 the steel was removed for the war effort however much of the machinery is still in the mill.

Montauk Springs, the 10 largest in MO, consist of 9 (more or less springs) that which emerge in a gravel/sand bar area on the banks of Pigeon Creek and form the headwaters of the Current River. The spring area was one of the first state parks to be acquired, in 1926. Fish hatchery operations at the Park are run by the Missouri Dept. of Conservation, and trout fishing is featured.

From Montauk I went south on a gravel road on following the Current River for a short time and then stumbled across this- Bo's Hollow:

Bo's hollow has Model A rides, jerky, sandwiches, ice cream and is worth a visit. It is a fun place to visit when in the area. http://www.bohollow.com/

I continued toward Hodgson Mill on the gravel roads without a set route just a general direction.

The Hebron Bridige crossing the North Fork of the White River was built in 1914 for $ 5,900. $5,900 is worth $126,836 in today. I would bet the engineering cost alone for a replacement bridge would cost over $126,000!

The design of the bridge is a Two pin-connected, 6-panel Pratt through trusses with a concrete deck. Total length is 192.9 feet-largest span 96.1 feet. In 2009 the bridge was rated "structurally deficient" but is still being used today.

My next discovery was the General Store at Shipley Spring.

I am unable to find any information on the community of Shipley Spring. There are a few homes scattered about and this store.

Next stop Hodgson Mill.

Note the water wheel. It is fake. The mill is powered by turbines. A previous owner got tired of answering "Where is the wheel?"

The turbines, imported from the Pyrenees Mountains (area between France and Spain)........

........turned the wheels that powered the mill.

The Hodgson Spring, ranked 19 largest in MO, Ave. 23 million gallons a day, exits from the bluff behind the mill. It is controlled below the mill to run the turbines. The water flows under a short manmade tunnel and exits in front of the mill.

There has been a mill at this site beginning in 1861. The first was destroyed, like many in the area, during the Lincoln's War. This mill way built in 1897.
More information can be found here: http://www.ksmu.org/article/history-hodgson-mill

I made my tag and rode on.

To be continued.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #21
pilesofmiles
Life is an Adventure

Oddometer: 711
Great pics and great write ups!

Thanks for sharing. Very cool.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #22
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilesofmiles View Post
Great pics and great write ups!

Thanks for sharing. Very cool.
Quite a RR there AJ. A wealth of history as well that is really interesting. I will have to venture North a bit and ride some of that area. I met you at a little cafe in Kingston, Arkansas a month or so ago. On of the three Arkies riding the DS bikes that you introduced yourself to at lunch one day. Keep up the great RR's.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #23
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEARY View Post
Quite a RR there AJ. A wealth of history as well that is really interesting. I will have to venture North a bit and ride some of that area. I met you at a little cafe in Kingston, Arkansas a month or so ago. On of the three Arkies riding the DS bikes that you introduced yourself to at lunch one day. Keep up the great RR's.
Thanks.

You ever want to get together and in my neck of the woods let me know.

Say "hi" to the other two Arkies.

Eddie

Old 07-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #24
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,512
Great report AJ. Loved it.
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #25
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Not far from Hodgson Mill is Zanoni Mill with it rare overshot water wheel. There have been three mill at this site. The first was a log mill built during Mr. Lincolns War. In 1900 the mill was sold and rebuilt along with a saw mill. That mill burned to the ground in 1904. In 1905 the existing mill was built. The mill imported flint buhrstones from France at a cost of $125 ($2,993.00 in today dollars.)

A small community grew up around the mill that including a general store that is still standing.

In 1906 a cotton gin was established and a overall factory in 1920 both were powered by the water. The mill generated electric in the 1940. The mill stopped commercial operations in 1951.

I headed North towards Rockbridge Mill. Rockbridge is now a pricy fishing and hunting resort with a nice restaurant and places to stay. http://www.rockbridgemo.com/home.htm

Rockbridge was a early town in the area. It was the county seat of the original Ozark County after 1841. Rockbridge was burned during a battle of the Yankee Invasion. In 1865 a new village grew up around the mill. In 1888 the mill was enlarged and a third story was added in 1900. At is peak the mill produced 50 bushels a day.

In 1894 a general store was built. It was considered on of the largest and best supplied stone in the Ozarks. It even supplied coffins. Today is houses the office to the fishing resort, a nice restaurant and post office.

In 1904 a bank was established at Rockbridge.

The store and bank closed in 1933, the mill in the late 1940's.

The fishing resort started in 1954.

I had a very nice lunch in Rockbridge and blackberry cobbler with ice-cream for desert. The desert was fabulous.

After lunch I continued north crossing Bryant Creek a number of times:

Last part coming soon.

ajayhawkfan screwed with this post 07-20-2011 at 03:38 PM
Old 07-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #26
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

From here I headed North towards home taking my time, checking out interesting roads. I had a waypoint on my GPS that caught my attention so I headed that way and came acorss the Friendship Missionary Baptist Church after a fun ride on a road that got worse and worse is a descended the mountain.

The Church was built was built in 1900 in the community of Vera Cruz. Vera Cruz was established around the time of the Mexican War (1846-1849) and was originally called Red Bud. The Red Bud post office was founded in 1846 and the town had two good saw mills and a good general store. In 1857 Douglas County was formed and Red Bud changed it name to Vera Cruz in 1859 and was named the county seat.

During The War to Suppress Yankee Arrogance, on Nov. 7, 1862 at 10 AM approximately 1300 well armed Confederate soldiers bombarded the Yankee positions that were in Vera Cruz at two block house and the courthouse. By 5:00 PM the Union forces surrendered because they ran out of ammunition. The Confederates took the Union valuables and let the soldiers go. No Confederates were killed. Nine union soldiers were killed and 37 wounded. One civilian in town was also killed. This is also know as the Battle of Clark's Mill.

From Vera Cruz I continued west along the deteriorating gravel road. At the bottom of the mountain along Brian Creek it turned to sand. My GPS showed the road crossed the Creek however this is what I found:

There was no getting through and turning my bike in sand is not easy. The rear tire digs a trench if I'm not very careful. After some work I get turned around had continued north along Bryant Creek.

I rode out of the valley, up the mountain to this.

I did not feel like I was in the Ozarks any longer however a mile or two later I was deep in the heart of them.

I continued north and crossed Interstate 44. From there I grabbed alphabet highways home.

I had great trip although it was very hot. I saw many places I have never seen before and some I have not visited in years.

I always enjoy the learning more about the history of Missouri (or anyplace I travel) and am already planning another ride through MO to visit more mills and another trip to visit almost forgot battles from the War for States Rights.

ajayhawkfan screwed with this post 07-21-2011 at 12:46 PM
Old 07-20-2011, 08:56 PM   #27
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup View Post
Great report AJ. Loved it.
Thanks for checking it out.

I sent your friend Oleary my waypoints of places in S MO and N AR as well as neighboring states. If you are interested in them drop send me your email address and I'll forward them to you as well.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:59 AM   #28
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,725
JhFan,
Nice report. It seems as though you have a slight interest in the Horrible Conflict to Abolish Slavery..
Do you have GPS waypoints for the battle sights?
I really haven't thought about it that much, but there has to be several. Might be another ride there??

I've read about Rockwood, I like to flyfish, but don't fish much here in Missouri. Not sure how $$ it is, some of those places charge by the pound, it can get pretty expensive if you take the kids...ha

Thanks again for posting.

Jeff
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #29
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildwoodMOCruiser View Post
JhFan,
Nice report. It seems as though you have a slight interest in the Horrible Conflict to Abolish Slavery..
Do you have GPS waypoints for the battle sights?
I really haven't thought about it that much, but there has to be several. Might be another ride there??

I've read about Rockwood, I like to flyfish, but don't fish much here in Missouri. Not sure how $$ it is, some of those places charge by the pound, it can get pretty expensive if you take the kids...ha

Thanks again for posting.

Jeff
Jeff, Thank for the comments.

I have the waypoints to 300 battles of Mr. Lincoln's War. That are from all over the country. I just picked up another book on MO battles and am adding ones I don't have a I read the book. It will be a future ride.

Rockbridge is very expensive it fish. I believe it was over $65 a day for catch and release!

Have you ever fished Crane Creek? http://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2000/01/rainbows-crane-creek I have not fished it in years but use to often. I would have the entire place to myself. I loved it.

Eddie

Old 07-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #30
MCRIDER1959
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Thanks ajayhawkfan
for this fine ride report and it's photos. I also feel special thanks should be applied for the history that you added to the photos. More depth and understanding was given to each pic, with the history.

And on an added note, I love this "The War to Suppress Yankee Arrogance". I shall need to remember it!!
MCRIDER1959 is offline   Reply With Quote