Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2012, 01:57 AM   #166
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer: 520
Ontic thanks for your picture and advise that is great and something like I had in mind. I have had a fully floating 320 brake rotor made as a 1 off in Sweden - best quality I could get although there was a slightly cheaper 320 non floating disc from another source available but the alignment of the disc remains the same as the original so like you say its simply a point of moving everything back a set amount. Your picture has made it easier actually as it involved a plate then a spacer for the top mount - I had in mind having to mill this but the set up you have shown should work fine - and I have a mate with a small cnc milling machine so it should not be a major problem thanks. Jake.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #167
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

The brake issue I hope is resolved, most the companies I contacted could help but it meant buying a new caliper to fit the relocation bracket they supplied this could also have caused a difference in the offsetting of the disc so a mate is using a small cnc machine to make one for me from a piece of billet alluminium, he has done the drawings so hopefully that will be machined in the next week or so. Most of you will have seen Patta's gs sidecar build thread ( http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=762454 ) he has been working in the same workshop as me - although he has managed to get his finished and away from the workshop before he sets off round the world in ta few month after a quick jaunt down to the Sahara.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:43 AM   #168
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

no pictures - i forgot to take the camera - but was down at the workshop yesterday cut and re shaped the pipes for the exhaust which has allowed me to get a better rise on the end cans so they now sweep upwards a bit and follow the lines of the sub frame - down rails, also started extending and re shaping the center stand and am trying to work out a side stand. The side stand is a real issue as I do not really want one off the front engine mount but putting it further back (as its longer than standard with the extra height of the bike ) starts interfering with the center stand operation and exhaust. I will be back down the workshop this week so should get some pics if I can.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #169
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

I am getting very close to the pre finish - finish if that makes sense, I need to take out the spare engine and gearbox and fit my other one that has been built up for this bike, That done do a dry test run to ensure everything fits and works as it should. Then I will be ready for a final strip down powder coat and paintwork the chassis will be bavarian blue and the bodywork a mix of white and bavarian blue then it will need a full re build with all the new parts (bearings bolts, oil, brake and fuel lines etc etc). This week I cut and re shaped the exhaust pipework to get the exhausts into the position I want them to run, I now need to fit the exhaust/footrest Hangers to the sub frame - to support the silencers. that in essence is all the welding and fabrication complete. I have taken a photo of the bike together with many of the main components in place (not the front fairing) and I am still waiting for the 320mm front brake disc to arrive from Sweden. but the photoo shows the new re shaped exhaust - this is polished stainless steel but I will probably be getting this recoated in satin black ceramic finish.The bevelbox will be overhauled,and a few other minor jobs
Old 03-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #170
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,501
Love the seat, rack & exhausts - always preferred the smaller tanks for looks but not for practicality. The blue & white will look great. Keep the pics coming
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #171
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

Hi Padmei cheers again for the comments, the bike stands quite a bit bigger than a standard gs - i have 33 inch inside leg and am on tip toes - the standard gs tank looks like a pea on a drum on this thing it just looks wrong. These big tanks are ugly but to me they look purposeful - and fits the size of this bike it really has an aggressive stance about it when your up close more so without the barn door of a fairing that I will be fitting, but its built for a purpose and some of the places I have traveled and will be travelling too have huge distances without ready access to fuel so for that the tank works really well. Cheers again Jake.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #172
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,410
Yes. Looking good.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #173
rediRrakaD
Whoopdie do

Oddometer: 695
Really like the subframe upgrade!
Well done.

Cheers,
S.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #174
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Yes. Looking good.
+500. One of the best threads in the last year.

Tom.
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:53 AM   #175
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

Thanks everyone for all the kind comments, its been a long road getting to this point, I just hope that it all comes together on the road when riding the bugger.I am sure the suspension may take a bit of fettling once at that stage but hopefully there wont be to many snags otherwise. Tchus Jake.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:37 AM   #176
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,218
Very nice, it`ll be great when the job`s finished, (is it ever finished?); a lot more radical looking than mine`s going to look.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #177
Velocipede
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Absolutely great,love it.Can't wait to see the finished product.

John
Velocipede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #178
Klisterman
Klisterman

Oddometer: 4
Rear shock spec's

Hi Jake. I've followed the build with enthusiasm, it's really coming together into a purposeful looking machine. I'm gathering parts for something similar using two old RT models as donor bikes, so my work is cut out I was wondering about the specification details of your Wilbers shocks, plus availablity/cost etc. It seems the WP units I was after are no longer available and HPN never respond to calls etc. Any help or info greatly appreciated. Kind regards, Nick.
Klisterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #179
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

Hi Nick I have sent you a pm with my telephone number give me a ring and we can chat and I will give you as much advice as I can, I may be able to help you with one or two parts or technical details also. cheers Jake.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:57 AM   #180
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

Well she is all back together and I fired her up yesterday - started almost straight away need to adjust a few things and sort out a few small issues then she will be ready for the test ride - but ISR in Sweden still have not supplied the front disc I ordered ( a 320mm fully floating damped disc) been 8 weeks now so till that arrives I cant really get on and ride her. I hope that I should be ready to go by next week if the disc arrives - test ride her from the workshop to home (40 miles) strip her down and off to the paintshop with all the parts. Nearly at the end.