Suruppak
hack

Oddometer: 124
Suruppak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #77
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer: 524
I have not had much chance to get down to the workshop but here are a few photos of the bikes progress, the front fairing mounts, frame and fairing are made up, a few pictures of the bike as it is this week, I have made a start on making up a seat, using a g/s seat base. this first photo shows the new paintable tank in place the fairing light fork shrouds and mudguard all positioned I have cut the foam for the seat to fit the tank.
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2011, 05:19 PM   #78
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

Here is one from the other side
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #79
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

This one is of the instrument facia, with the Acewell digital speedo in place, the key and a plug poer take off, there are some switches to go below the acewell and a space for a small hand held type gps mount to the left. Tha facia will be powder coated at the same time as the chassis. Ps the Acewell is central in the facia - just I was off to one side when I took the photo.
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #80
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

Here is a front view of the bike. I am still thinking about the colour scheme but may well go with a fairly plain white and motorsport red/blue/blue stripe with some detailing in Grey and a Grey chassis. This photo gives some idea of the tall nature of the bike look how high the pots are off the ground, on the stand the lowered sump is 14 inches, off the ground dropped down off the stand with sag etc its still going to be maybe 11 inches.
Attached Images

adventure950 screwed with this post 09-30-2011 at 05:48 PM
adventure950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:35 PM   #81
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

Tonight the seat edges were re profilled to get a nice tidy line with the tank bottom so some 1.6 steel plate was cut to shape clamped then spot welded into place.
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #82
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

And the plates spotted into position now I need to make up a cover, I am thinking of making it out of suede top and leather side areas will try to get to a leather supplier this week then its get the sewing machine out !!!! Anyway that's it for now I am afraid i forgot to show the new exhaust but will add that next week if I remember on. so hope to get on a little bit next week with the saddle but we will see.
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #83
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
I'm guessing you're just in mock-up assembly here, but on the off chance your not, you forgot the cover for your steering head bearings as well as the grease. Also, that looks like very soft foam you're using there. I've found that most seat builders use 8lb rebond foam or thereabouts as far as the density. Electric carving knives are great for rough shaping. Try an angle grinder for smoothing. Works great.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 10-01-2011 at 07:32 AM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:40 AM   #84
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

Hi Airhead,yes this is very very early stages of mock up, the forks and headstock are to be fully overhauled before final assembly the bearings are old sets and I have a new cover with the new bearings for the final build - but your very observant - thanks, all this is just stuff I can get on with while waiting for the swing arm to be made up, the lad making it is busy with a new design of sit ski ( a single ski with a suspension and chair on for people who are handicapped) that project is almost developed now and then he can get time to get the swing arm done. Making up the headlamp bracket the facia board, battery box etc all take time as its all made up from scratch, nothing bought in just sheet metal, so a lot of trial and error making every component to fit - then some other problem are thrown up. I can see why paying for a kit bike from HPN make sense - there is a lot of work involved in sorting out how to fit bits on and such if I was paying for my time this would be a pretty expensive project - but my time for me is free so its just sheet metal, foam, leather, tubing and wiring components etc that make up the cost. The bike will need to be pulled apart after the sub frame and racks are made up and tested for fit the exhaust mounts and several other frame mounts and fittings made up, once all these are done the chassis will be again put together my other engine and gearbox slotted in and test fitted and run for any snagging, than again everything taken apart to be powder coated and all the bodywork painted up. As for the seat foam this is dual density layered seat foam from a police bike seat the stuff on the surface you can see is a 3mm over foam layer, so hopefully its going to be fine - but once again thanks for the interest.
Its all been slow going and I reckon I will be on a few month yet just getting the bike ready then it will be time for the snow coming in for the winter !.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #85
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

Been a while since I posted anything as I have been away a bit - went down the workshop today, bought some steel for the swing arm project. Rob has the jig finished and the swing arm ready for rebuild to a twin shock system. The jig is made on an engineers bench it has mounting points that replicate the swing arm mount points, fixed points for the current and extended bevel box plate, points for the axle run to the left arm (box section etc. All of these points are to such tight tolerances that they are as near as damn it zero. Rob is reluctant to show photos of the jig simply as its taken a while to make and set up and does not want it copied, as he will want to make a few more extended swing arms to re coup some of the investment in making the tooling. The jig can be used for single swing arms extended by 50,75 or 100 mm as well as twin shock swing arms of 100mm longer. I should be able to photo the swing arm next week with any luck - to show it on here. But for now its just sitting tight no more piccies yet.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #86
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

Here is a couple of shots of the swing arm starting to come together - its been jigged and cut - extended and the second arm made to shape and offset slightly to a tapering out rear end. Its all tacked together on the jig then fitted to the bike to work out wheel/tyre clearance are ok for wheel removal, the swing arm axle none standard is fitted and spacers made (2) 1 steel to run against the bearing the other aluminium just to provide a sleeve to tighten up against the top hats welded in the box section. The added box section arm needs to be cut shorter to overhang the rear axle by around 30mm. The suspension mounts need to be sited correctly the left side mount is made up and ready to be welded in place, the right side is being made up and metal starting to be formed. The suspension mount sighting is critical to give the correct and balanced splay out from main frame to swing arm and also getting the angle right to maximise the suspension units efficiencyas well as set the 13.5 degree drop arc of the rear drive. The swing arm itself still needs replaced in the jig and welded along with some beefing up with a large braced area running in front of the tyre between the two sides of the swing arm. But you get the idea. I am waiting to get the extended driveshaft back from the friction welders before we can do much more as we need to try it in place ensure everything is ok before putting the swing arm back on the jig to be welded fully.
The box section used is 3mm wall thickness box 60mm x 25mm the next size up went to 70 x30 but the 30mm thickness started creating clearance issues with wheel removal and offset for the left side throwing suspension mount splay further out which could not be compensated for on the right hand side without offsetting the suspension mount inboard of the arm again thus would have caused wheel clearance issues as well as being off centre to the box section of the arm..
Attached Images

adventure950 screwed with this post 11-12-2011 at 03:00 PM
adventure950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #87
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

here you can see the extended swing arm side the 100 mm extension is tacked in place while the right side suspension plates are being worked out and made up. Still a long way to go. HPN already have everything worked out and pre set - we are having to do it as we go along with the project.
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2011, 07:07 AM   #88
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

here is a photo of the HPN set up, as the swing arm right side (driveshaft tube) can only be extended and not moved to the right this affects the suspension mounting points as follows (the left side of the swing arm is splayed out at quite an angle to allow the rear wheel and tyre enough clearance to get the whole thing off, this means that in relation to the main chassis HPN have had to compromise a bit on the suspension angle ie the left suspension unit runs in a different angle to the right unit - which would suggest that both units are pushing the forces into the chassis top mounts at possibly differing rates maybe one is working a fraction of time before the other and so not working in total balance. From behind the HPN looks a bit offset/ out of balance even dare I say it wrong -for me if something looks wrong and unbalanced then this is a compromise I would rather work around and solve The differences are small but uneven all the same. I am not suggesting for one moment that HPN have done it wrong - just that there approach and solution differs to my own requirement here. On single sided arms this would be of no consequence.

My swing arm is slightly different in design - the left swing arm comes out at a steeper angle for 100 or so mm then is curved back to much lesser splayed angle for the rest of the left side of the swing arm - but like HPN the offset is larger on the left to the right side of the strut to driveshaft tube - so in setting up the suspension mount we have chosen to ensure that both suspension units are central to the center line of the chassis, they are both splayed out from the top mounts ato the bottom mounts at equal angles - on both sides as well as equal distance front to back along the swing arm length so working from the wheel center line (frame center line we have not off set the wheel) the right suspension mount will be offset to the top and side of the main driveshaft tube by lets say 15mm. this will mean that there is a perfect triangulation of forces from both shocker mounts directed up into the top of the spine of the frame. I should have a picture of my set up later this week.after its been fully welded and reset out of the jig and back on the bike. so bear with me cheers.
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2011, 07:15 AM   #89
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

As I have the engine out of the chassis here are some photos of bit and bobs - the valave set up uses one piece rocker gear stops any compromise on axial play, no mis adjustment as you tighten down lighter and simpler. you can lift off the rocker gear in one big piece if you need to remove it.
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2011, 07:18 AM   #90
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote