ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #76
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
That is a neat photo red, a lot of old barns and buildings in the Ferndale area. I dig those old structures if only they could talk! That sign is a few miles up Wilson Creek Rd in Ferndale below the cemetery, heading towards Grizzly Bluff Rd. It starts out paved then becomes gravel. I only went a little farther as I hit another "gate" that stated it was a private road. I was hoping it would work its way up to Bunker Hill as that is the way it was headed. I really think it is a county road beyound the gate (which was open) but I didnt want to press my luck. I know a few people who work for the county and will quizz them about it. I love this place!
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #77
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC51 View Post
And the road leading up to the Ave. of the Giants. There was a road closed sign when I started down the river bar, Iam glad this gate was open or I would have had to return the same way I came in.
I rode the Lost Coast back in '08. I came in from the Fortuna end with plans to exit at Avenue Of The Giants. I was within just a couple miles of 101 when I came across this

One of the Giants had fallen across the road. They recommended returning to Fortuna but I didn't have enough fuel to do so. I waited about an hour for them to clear the road.

Actually it was quite a treat getting to watch the process. They used some awesome big chain saws to cut through that sucker .

Dave
Old 10-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #78
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Ha Ha that is worse that a closed gate. But one I would have liked to see, nice picture Dave.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:50 PM   #79
redninja OP
Will ride 4 scenery

Oddometer: 400
Hey, Dave (or anyone)...we were wondering what kind of chainsaws they used...they have to be really big...were they mounted on a big machine or something???
Old 10-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #80
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
All you need is plenty of motor and a 60" bar. Stihl and Husky make saws big enough to handle that thing, you have to do four cuts.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:24 AM   #81
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,683
>"Stihl and Husky make saws big enough to handle that thing, you have to do four cuts."

In the 'old growth' days, they used to make '2-Man' saws with huge bars, but now they are long-gone except for collections.

Check out the cut end of the log, you can see where they put the bar in.

Here's a nice video of old-growth falling with modern equipment. At the end you can see the loggers working the timberjacks (high lift hydraulic jacks). Guy with the chain saw is away from the tree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdgMcbNwZ3o&feature=related
TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #82
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

>" was hoping it would work its way up to Bunker Hill as that is the way it was headed. I really think it is a county road beyound the gate (which was open) but I didnt want to press my luck."

Years ago... we would head up a road off Blue Slide Road. It came out at Monument Peak, then went to 'Happy Valley' (old homestead). Ran down into Bear River and then up into the state park. All closed up now.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #83
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>" was hoping it would work its way up to Bunker Hill as that is the way it was headed. I really think it is a county road beyound the gate (which was open) but I didnt want to press my luck."

Years ago... we would head up a road off Blue Slide Road. It came out at Monument Peak, then went to 'Happy Valley' (old homestead). Ran down into Bear River and then up into the state park. All closed up now.
I think this road may have gone thru to Bunker Hill at one time also. Its a shame that so many roads are now closed because of a few a$$hats. Ok Twilight I have another for you, I started the Dryerville Rd. loop today but my brother-in-law wanted to turn around when the pavement ended. Do you know if it loops around to Ave. of the Giants or another road??
Looks like I need to follow it around to see where it goes. Thanks *EDIT* Cool vid. that logger made me nervous when he crawled into that pie cut.

WRC51 screwed with this post 10-18-2011 at 06:34 PM
Old 10-18-2011, 10:37 PM   #84
redninja OP
Will ride 4 scenery

Oddometer: 400
Hey, TZ....thanks for that vid. A tree that big must make one helluva noise when it falls.....the normal-sized trees we cut for firewood make quite a disturbance when they fall....
Old 10-19-2011, 04:31 AM   #85
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,591
Quote:
Ok Twilight I have another for you, I started the Dryerville Rd. loop today but my brother-in-law wanted to turn around when the pavement ended. Do you know if it loops around to Ave. of the Giants or another road??

Leave your brother-in-law home next time I'm not Twilight, but I love Dyerville Loop...and all the other roads out there. Dyerville runs from Alderpoint Rd to the south all the way to just north of Weott on Ave of the Giants. There are several little roads that come off of Dyerville that are a ton of fun. The road down to Ft Seward is a lot of fun, too. It starts out as dirt and ends up nice funky pavement. I ride my dirty supermoto out there as often as I can and it never disappoints

WoodsChick

Old 10-19-2011, 06:26 AM   #86
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Ha Ha my thoughts too. Thanks Woodschick I google earthed it last night but it really didnt show too much. Looks like a ride (solo) this weekend. I used to enjoy your photos on SBR when I lived in Morgan Hill. (Big Bill) on there.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #87
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

<"Do you know if it loops around to Ave. of the Giants or another road??"

Loops... there is an exit point eastward near Fort Seward... which goes over to the Bridgeville-Alderpoint road. Bridgeville-Alderpoint is a nice road, mostly paved except for some 'repair' sections... one of my favorite roads in that area.

South end of the Alderpoint road spilts 3 ways... Zenia (east), Kettenpom (south) and Alderpoint (west). Before it starts snowing, hit the Kettenpom-Mina-Covelo road... nice route. Way back north, try the road north at Dos Rios, and Bell Springs road.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #88
josh.orco
orco

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Ha Ha my thoughts too. Thanks Woodschick I google earthed it last night but it really didnt show too much. Looks like a ride (solo) this weekend. I used to enjoy your photos on SBR when I lived in Morgan Hill. (Big Bill) on there.
Hay if you would like a partner on a day trip through any of that area, I live in Loleta and have run out all the roads that has been spoken about here and would hit any of them in a second. I'm not skerd of dirt, PM me or hell just call
(541-761-1947) any time
josh.orco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #89
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

>"One question: Any idea what road this is ? ^^^^^
I've seen it in a few other trip reports....the bridge is kind of famous. "

Bridge over the Mattole at Honeydew... on the 'Lost Coast'. Road goes back to 101 at Humboldt Redwoods State park.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #90
timmie415
n00b poster but not rider

Oddometer: 88
Route planning suggestions...

Hey since this thread seems active with Mendo locals I thought I might toss my question here as opposed to the trip planning forum...
Running East, from Covelo and heading towards Willows:
A) Mendocino Pass Road / FH7
or
B) Indian Dick Rd
(hahahaha, how can I pass riding there? My Ride Report can be titled: "A journey for political correctness: Native American Richard Drive)

I'll be on my DL1000 with a some camping gear. Decent 80/20 tires on it. Not looking to run rutted USAL Rd type nastiness but some hard pack dirt and gravel is just fine.

Thanks for any guidance follow riders,
-tim
timmie415 is offline   Reply With Quote