User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 03:44 AM   #106
dirtbikeslob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Speedi,fine looking weapon
how are those tubliss setup working out,i have them on my 450 and looking to run a set on the 690,but havn't used then long enough to be convinced.
would like to hear you thoughts
dirtbikeslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #107
speedi
KTM Cape Town

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbikeslob View Post
Speedi,fine looking weapon
how are those tubliss setup working out,i have them on my 450 and looking to run a set on the 690,but havn't used then long enough to be convinced.
would like to hear you thoughts
Cant explain why, but for some reason I do not like the system. I dont feel safe riding the bike, especially on high speed tar section. Been struggling with the front inner tube pressure, it keeps losing pressure. Our bike runs up to 185kph and on tar I just do not feel confident with the tubeliss in front. Will be changing back to tubes ASAP. I might change my mind once I ride with the Tubes again!
Old 07-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #108
wino975
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedi View Post
Cant explain why, but for some reason I do not like the system. I dont feel safe riding the bike, especially on high speed tar section. Been struggling with the front inner tube pressure, it keeps losing pressure. Our bike runs up to 185kph and on tar I just do not feel confident with the tubeliss in front. Will be changing back to tubes ASAP. I might change my mind once I ride with the Tubes again!
mee too, I've used the tubliss but I don't like it.
I'm thinking to use tubeless wheels, I've only to find the rims with the correct internal profile...
wino975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:39 AM   #109
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by wino975 View Post
mee too, I've used the tubliss but I don't like it.
I'm thinking to use tubeless wheels, I've only to find the rims with the correct internal profile...
According to bucannans in the states most 18 inch rims would have a bead to keep the tire on. their sun rim has a bead even in the 19. apparently a version of the africa twin had a bead even on the 21, although I have haven't seen one.

Making it tubeless is easy enough. keeping it going if you have to change the tire is more of a prob from my experience.

The thread I found that lead to the method i used didn't seem to worry about bead's in the rim. As he pointed out if the tube goes flat in a hurry what really is the difference between a rim with tire/tube and a home build tubeless one.... a thought anyhow
Old 07-13-2012, 01:38 AM   #110
dirtbikeslob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
cheers for that Speedi,
dirtbikeslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:46 AM   #111
wino975
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tileman View Post
According to bucannans in the states most 18 inch rims would have a bead to keep the tire on. their sun rim has a bead even in the 19. apparently a version of the africa twin had a bead even on the 21, although I have haven't seen one.

Making it tubeless is easy enough. keeping it going if you have to change the tire is more of a prob from my experience.

The thread I found that lead to the method i used didn't seem to worry about bead's in the rim. As he pointed out if the tube goes flat in a hurry what really is the difference between a rim with tire/tube and a home build tubeless one.... a thought anyhow
bead is needed only for a security factor, and yes some japanese have rim with bead , but wheels lacing is different

Also having less weight on the wheels is a big advantage for the suspensions, the tire, the traction and the handling of the bike

I want to contact alpina, they make tubeless rims for the exc...
Old 07-13-2012, 01:59 AM   #112
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Nobody makes a strong tubeless wheel, incl. Alpina. I have seen them get bent up on supermoto courses without any hard hits.

If you are actually going to ride hard off road and want it to hold up, stay with the DID Dirt Stars or an Excel (ideally A60). Then seal up your rims using one of the methods Cyborg, Sakurama and Woodie have posted, and only use the Tubliss as a backup, instead to a safety bead.

This will be way stronger and cheaper, and just as light as the Alpina wheels.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:41 AM   #113
wino975
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Nobody makes a strong tubeless wheel, incl. Alpina. I have seen them get bent up on supermoto courses without any hard hits.

If you are actually going to ride hard off road and want it to hold up, stay with the DID Dirt Stars or an Excel (ideally A60). Then seal up your rims using one of the methods Cyborg, Sakurama and Woodie have posted, and only use the Tubliss as a backup, instead to a safety bead.

This will be way stronger and cheaper, and just as light as the Alpina wheels.
Yes i know, i've already sealed the 17" wheels, easy and durable.... and no leak

but there a re several problem in using tubliss as backup, it's no so packable and hou have to drill out the sealant...
not ideal... better a tube as backup IMHO

+ you can use only one tube dimension for front and rear wheel
Old 07-13-2012, 05:46 AM   #114
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes i know, i've already sealed the 17" wheels, easy and durable.... and no leak

but there a re several problem in using tubliss as backup, it's no so packable and hou have to drill out the sealant...
not ideal... better a tube as backup IMHO

+ you can use only one tube dimension for front and rear wheel

I am talking about having the Tubliss installed on sealed rims, not packing it.

There is no risk of sudden blow out this way, unless you fuck up your rim with a square edge hit so hard that it totally deforms it.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #115
wino975
Adventurer

Quote:
I am talking about having the Tubliss installed on sealed rims, not packing it.

There is no risk of sudden blow out this way, unless you fuck up your rim with a square edge hit so hard that it totally deforms it.
mmmm I've misunderstood

but run in this way don't give many advantages (i don't have a good feeling with tubliss)
Old 07-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #116
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
mmmm I've misunderstood

but run in this way don't give many advantages (i don't have a good feeling with tubliss)
I don't get it. It will be stronger, cheaper and just as light as a $$$ Alpina wheel. What advantage don't you get "run in this way"?
Old 07-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #117
beaney
rally racer

Oddometer: 124
[QUOTE=speedi;19108368]

Relocated fuel pump to front tanks to drain fuel from all tanks simultaneously

New exhaust header pipe

/QUOTE]

How did you mount the oem fuel pump in the front tanks, would be intersteing to some pics of this.

Will your exhaust pipe be available to buy seperately, and how much?
beaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:28 AM   #118
wino975
Adventurer

Quote:
I don't get it. It will be stronger, cheaper and just as light as a $$$ Alpina wheel. What advantage don't you get "run in this way"?
the bike does not feel good going at high speed, + tubliss it's not so lighter than a standard tube + tire lock.
in other words... i don't like it
Old 07-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #119
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 1,967
Laugh

[QUOTE=beaney;19119677]
Quote:

Relocated fuel pump to front tanks to drain fuel from all tanks simultaneously

New exhaust header pipe

/QUOTE]

How did you mount the oem fuel pump in the front tanks, would be intersteing to some pics of this.

Will your exhaust pipe be available to buy seperately, and how much?

Even better run 2 fuel pumps 1as a back up ,keep the stock and add extra in the front tanks ,it would require either switches or a plug and play but shouldn't be that hard .

PS, got a good tax refund 10k . So looks like my bike will mudders rally mk3 I,ll be working with dealer I use to work at
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #120
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Tubliss is made of a red stripe (or liner, or whatever its called) inflated with a bicycle-like tube. That in turn squeeze the tyre against the rim. Suppose you seal the rim. And the bicycle-like tube is gone. How would you inflate the red stripe?

Paul Jr