ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
DA KLIXTER OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Shoup & Horse Creek

We're planning a possible trip north.Is there gas available at Shoup?Milkshakes?Can you get into Horse Creek?
Thanks,

CK
Old 07-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
ridewestKTM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,696
Gas in shoup

They actually have antique pumps that work in Shoup ID (west of North fork) Horse creek I don't know - give me a hint?
Old 07-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
El Brad
Leave it long on top

Oddometer: 445
Thumb Horse Creek....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridewestKTM View Post
They actually have antique pumps that work in Shoup ID (west of North fork) Horse creek I don't know - give me a hint?
Just a mile or so East of Shoup up trail 038 to 044 to 065 great hot springs there then on to 5696 to 091 to
Painted Rocks Lake, good ride and awesome scenery.

No reports that I have read this year as to wether or not it is open yet. Thought I read somewhere on this site
recently that Shoup had stopped pumping gas ? did a search and can't find where I read it, so don't want to start
any rumers.

So, Da Klixter whats your ride plan and dates?
El Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
ridewestKTM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,696
yes but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Brad View Post
Just a mile or so East of Shoup up trail 038 to 044 to 065 great hot springs there then on to 5696 to 091 to
Sounds like what my maps call "Spring cr" 038 no matter, but what I found is Long Tom ridge west of Shoup is the better ride - I'd do either tho. Also once over and down to Painted rocks you can cross at the dam and -by a couple methods ride a long cut over to the Magruder start - as I recall comes out just east of the campground. I've been lost in there two or three times now anyway there's a trail that might make that area a shortcut by coming out at Nez Pirce pass but I know it is single track and likely "nonmotorized"
Old 08-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
relic123
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Brad View Post
hey guys Im looking to take this route in the next couple of weeks, can you tell me the general condition of the climb out of shoup 038 up to 044. Im looking at it on google earth but cant really tell, figured I would turn to those who have ran it! Thanks! (experienced rider on 500lb bike)
relic123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,146
It's an easy ride.

Gassing up at Shoup a few weeks ago ...

Road 038 in 2013 ... I rode up much of the way this past June ('14) and it looked the same, but I was forewarned at Shoup that I'd hit snow so didn't go all the way over.

Entering the Mustang Fire burn zone ('13) ... Saw a bear and cub here; don't know what they were living on.

Fire effects on 044, as it looked a year ago ...

And what used to be the Divide Trail trailhead in June '14, along 038 ... No more sign.

I'll be going over again later this week. Shall report if I encounter obstacles.

byways screwed with this post 08-05-2014 at 05:04 PM
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #7
byways
byways

District ranger at North Fork district told me road 123 west of Shoup, a north-south road that connects the river road to Long Tom Ridge, is officially closed. He said much of it has been washed out by slides and erosion in the wake of the huge Mustang Fire a couple of years ago. He said it's unlikely ever to be fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridewestKTM View Post
Sounds like what my maps call "Spring cr" 038 no matter, but what I found is Long Tom ridge west of Shoup is the better ride - I'd do either tho. Also once over and down to Painted rocks you can cross at the dam and -by a couple methods ride a long cut over to the Magruder start - as I recall comes out just east of the campground. I've been lost in there two or three times now anyway there's a trail that might make that area a shortcut by coming out at Nez Pirce pass but I know it is single track and likely "nonmotorized"
Old 08-06-2014, 05:36 PM   #8
JUNBUG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Everything at Horse Creek hot springs is gone except the hot springs shack. So you can still take a dip. We rode in last year from painted rocks. I don't know if that road is still open but it is a easy ride if it is.
JUNBUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #9
byways
byways

Just returned a couple of nights ago. Junbug is correct on all points. It's all open, easily ridable, and the hot springs are still functioning. Camping amid the burn is kind of creepy, but the vault toilet is still there, at least.

And the shack did indeed survive the otherwise devastating fire ...

Old 08-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #10
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,237
Best Of The Hot Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
Just returned a couple of nights ago. Junbug is correct on all points. It's all open, easily ridable, and the hot springs are still functioning. Camping amid the burn is kind of creepy, but the vault toilet is still there, at least.

And the shack did indeed survive the otherwise devastating fire ...

4 [or was it 5?] years ago..Shoup..outstanding milkshakes! [Thanks PM for the tip!] and this hot springs was unbelievable ...deep hole in solid rock inside that shack
...so sad the surrounding forest is crispy...was a great campground adjacent to this hot spring..oh well, nothing remains the same..
Wallowa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:43 PM   #11
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,271
good to see that food and shakes are back on the sign board. I'm wondering if that's the same "new owner" we met there?,,he was a greenhorn to the area at the time, and was not sure about the whole
"Shoup shakes" idea,,,,of course we demanded tradition be upheld in his future,,wonder if the shakes are as good as they were years ago?

,we were supposed to camp at Horsey hot springs the very day that it was burned and a few of our riders were down in the campground and out even before the road was closed.GONE!,,,re-group,,head back over mountain,,or down to Shoup?
We have had to move, or use alternate campgrounds because of fires,,First time our group had been split up by fires in my dozen or so yrs. annual experience.
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:09 PM   #12
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
The newest owners have done a lot of work to the store and the food is fantastic. Dan is a very personable guy and has a good deal of knowledge of the area. Did I mention that the food is fantastic?
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote