Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #16
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiji View Post
Just a heads up for you, I know the knee pads Olympia uses in their stuff is ONE USE ONLY because it is basically a fabric cover, plastic plate, EPS layer, and rubber backing(See original First Gear Core-Comp armor). This provides light weight and excellent impact protection, but each segment is only good for one hit.

I am not positive about the back pads and elbow pads however, so I would recommend checking. You may be bruising because your armor isn't working anymore.
I heard this before, and I poked around asking both olympia and the maker of the pads that are in my gear and could get nothing back from them, I know some people who know those who own the Olympia company, and I'll try and ask them again. Thanks for the reminder about this. For what it's worth the EPS on my armor doesn't show any crushing or cracking.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:47 PM   #17
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkens View Post
Oy, I'm happy that you're still with us!

I love my Darien jacket and pants for their comfortable fit and overall practicallity for everything from a 20 mile commute to a multi-week tour. But that comes with the flipside that the armor is not securely held in place. I'm most concerned that the knee pads will be out of place in a get off.

I'm getting closer to layering a fitted set of armor beneath the Aerostitch but that'd just be a PIA for a 20 mile commute.

Bottom line: Aerostitch and its armor is much better than the unarmored leather that I wore for so many years. But not as good as maximum protection from form fitting racing suits. We're making compromises here.

As for the armor itself? I'm trusting that it's a reasonable level of protection for a reasonable (35 - 60 mph) getoff.
Thanks! it's how I got my "handle" I was squished...

Anyway for what it's worth in the crash where I was squished I slid for a distance and my knee pads didn't move.
That said it didn't prevent my knee from having my ACL, MCL and PCL destroyed, but I don't think anything would have.
I trust my darien gear for the moderate road speeds I ride, but when I do make it to the track it's a once peice leather with a back pad for me.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:17 AM   #18
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,282
aerostich armors works well amazingly well. i crashed at 70mph on the interstate and slid to a stop with not a scratch on my upper body. i spent a good bit of that time on my back. i had their standard back pad in the jacket and no back pain at all.

i ordered another jacket from them.
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #19
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,355
Crashed mine in my RC at 50mph, good clean slide, rode home, all my soreness was muscle soreness. I didn't even suffer so much as a bruise. Wish I could say the same for the last time I fell down with leathers on.

When it comes time to replace the pads, I'll probably do something more substantial and breathable in the back protector, but all the corners, I'm happy with.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #20
axelwik
Yep

Oddometer: 394
I've put it to the test and it works very well. My left knee would have been toast of it wasn't for the knee armor in my Darien pants.

"Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, & his many accomplishments - still owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil & the fact that it rains".... Anonym
axelwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:16 AM   #21
GoFar
My butt hurts.

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultravoyageant View Post
Of course it is. Was it a special edition made with unicorn tears? Because if it isn't then that's some shady shit. I like Aerostitch and all, but when places price gouge for a product that's available from other reputable (Read: not shady "fell off the truck pricing" scammers) shops such as Revzilla for significantly less it makes me question doing business with them at all.
Easy there...With full disclosure here: I've been a rabid Aerostich customer for about 18 years. Aerostich essentially invented the textile suit market (all due respect to Belstaff et al.) and it remains the standard today. Competitors have closed the gap, no question...but Aerostich remains THE GO TO textile armor.

Along with that, Aerostich developed their own armor over the years cut and shaped to work specifically with their line of gear. Why did they do this? Simple: there was no T-Pro, Knoxx or anything else available off the shelf at the time. Simple as that. Is TPF3 a good armor? Absolutely...especially if it's used with the Aerostich gear it's designed specifically to fit in and work with. Does it work well with other gear? I'm not sure why one would even mess with it...too many other options designed to work with a wider range of gear...

No offense meant, but if I'm reading your post correctly...your point is pretty ignorant. Aerostich is what it is: The original textile suit, MADE IN THE USA, completely customizable with custom made armor. Expensive? Yes. Gouging? I suppose it's in the eyes of the beholder. From a crash perspective? I'd be willing to bet there's more ancedotal evidence of positive experience with 'stich gear over most others out there. Do a search for yourself and see.

But I don't shop at Walmart either as I try not to support China, inc. anymore than I have to...(also known as 95% of all motorcycle safety gear available is made in China)
Old 07-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #22
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFar View Post
No offense meant, but if I'm reading your post correctly...
I don't think you are. I have several of the products they sell myself, but one in particular is the tf5 pad: http://www.aerostich.com/tf5-transit-back-pad.html $100 - pocket to fit it into a roadcrafter is extra, too.

Others (including revzilla) sell the exact same item for $45: http://www.revzilla.com/product/revi...back-protector

A similar price hike is in place for the sas-tec hip pads (or what aerostich calls tf5 hip pads).

This has nothing to do with their custom armor - this is off the shelf stuff.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #23
GoFar
My butt hurts.

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
I don't think you are. I have several of the products they sell myself, but one in particular is the tf5 pad: http://www.aerostich.com/tf5-transit-back-pad.html $100 - pocket to fit it into a roadcrafter is extra, too.

Others (including revzilla) sell the exact same item for $45: http://www.revzilla.com/product/revi...back-protector

A similar price hike is in place for the sas-tec hip pads (or what aerostich calls tf5 hip pads).

Then I would stand corrected...

I would have a hard time saying it's gouging though if it's not a monopoly. Caveat Emptor for sure...
Old 08-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #24
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post

yeah but the discussion started with the T3 made for the Roadcrafter and related line. The T5 your'e talking about only fit in the $1600 leather Transit. Not the same thing, but if I spring for a Transit then thanks for the tip to save me $100. Are there any off-the shelf alternatives to the T3 backprotectors http://www.aerostich.com/jackets-pan...-back-pad.html?
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #25
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eap View Post
yeah but the discussion started with the T3 made for the Roadcrafter and related line. The T5 your'e talking about only fit in the $1600 leather Transit. Not the same thing, but if I spring for a Transit then thanks for the tip to save me $100. Are there any off-the shelf alternatives to the T3 backprotectors http://www.aerostich.com/jackets-pan...-back-pad.html?
This: http://www.aerostich.com/jackets-pan...er-sleeve.html
Plus this: http://www.revzilla.com/product/revi...back-protector

Or this: http://www.bohnarmor.com/catalog/pro...d=KC-Aerostich

Seems like there is another option too.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #26
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
awesome - just got my new to me Stitch today and it rocks.... :

un mil gracias Mr. Table!
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #27
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Hope it works out well for you. I know I love my suit. I've been running the TF3 "competition" back protector in mine. Only tested it out once, and it seems to work. But it is HOT, as in, if anything is going to be wet with sweat, the back protector area is going to be soaked first. If I'm not in touring or commuting mode, then I'll usually just wear my forcefield Sub4 back protector and pull the Stich one out. It still doesn't breath well, but it is a lot more protection.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #28
nhbubba
Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer: 423
Bump... Back to the 'stich TF3 armor. I've heard some say 'stich armor is crap and shameful for the price. Can't tell if they are talking about a 20 y/o suit, or this TF3 stuff.

Then sources like this hell for leather bit pretty much say the TF3 stuff is for real and plenty good 'nuf for most of us.

I am considering buying an RC onesy. The RC Light seems like just the ticket for my needs. But armor is extra. Tack on $100 for the TF3 elbow/shoulder/knee kit, then another $150 or so for the hip and 'competition' back pads.

Is there a better option out there?

Seems like the RC Light being armorless could be a blessing in disguise as you can outfit with your choice of armor.

I've not used it, but on paper I am a fan of the Forcefield stuff. Has anyone retrofitted any of that to an RC?
Old 02-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #29
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
Bump... Back to the 'stich TF3 armor. I've heard some say 'stich armor is crap and shameful for the price. Can't tell if they are talking about a 20 y/o suit, or this TF3 stuff.

Then sources like this hell for leather bit pretty much say the TF3 stuff is for real and plenty good 'nuf for most of us.

I am considering buying an RC onesy. The RC Light seems like just the ticket for my needs. But armor is extra. Tack on $100 for the TF3 elbow/shoulder/knee kit, then another $150 or so for the hip and 'competition' back pads.

Seems like the RC Light being armorless could be a blessing in disguise as you can outfit with your choice of armor.

I've not used it, but on paper I am a fan of the Forcefield stuff. Has anyone retrofitted any of that to an RC?
It depends what you think of the CE tests. I have crashed in the tf3 pads and been sore for weeks. The hard shelled areas would be comparable to present day CE armor, whereas the soft areas provide almost no protection to speak of.

There are alternatives which are cheaper with better coverage, but ultimately the suit needs to fit properly to keep these pads in place. Aerostich suits are cut to accomodate the TF armor so you may run into weird sizing issues if you try to move something else.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #30
nashopolis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post

A few thoughts
- while I enjoy reading HFL and I appreciate their unique take on moto-land journalism - i feel like they often speak definitively whether they have some empirical reason to back it up or not. It is style as much as anything and sometimes I know I'm reading exactly what the manufacture told them a written as factual journalism.

Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't.

With aerostich armor they've pretty much just read the catalog and repeated it in their own words. A positive opinion for sure but not one based on any new info.

If you look at the aero catalog there is a graph with the armor tested in a ce lab you can see the sas aka t5 is way better than the t3 stuff. Why don't they switch all the suits to t-5 if it tests better by their own graph? I don't know - maybe it is a form thing. Maybe Andy has to try it for three years in his own suit before he'll approve it for the masses? I couldn't say

Aerostich sort of mystifies me sometimes - but I think it is a company built around one man's idea of what works functionally in most cases. That is to say he builds things where durability, conveince of use and safety overlap.

But I digress

Johnson leathers in SF was cutting tpro armor to retrofit a roadcrafter with and I've read from another advrider that he liked it. If you get the RC light you might still want to get the armor sleeves so you have something to stick the tpro into and they can cut it to fit the sleeves.

I have a RC light I'm toying with keeping. I have been playing around with thinner armor to make it fit better. In my experience you will need to sew the pockets smaller to keep the armor in place if you choose the t-5 / sas tech but it should work.

I really like the RC light alot and think I would pick it if I knew I would never actually crash but I have a RC reg on order. Personally I'm worried that the RC light gives up too much crash protection for anything but low speed urban riding.
nashopolis is offline   Reply With Quote