Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #16
Transalp Jas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
It's really coming along. The tires and the black-spoked wheels look GREAT.

Chuck Norrris has never gotten a Jeopardy question wrong. Jesus has missed two.
Transalp Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:07 PM   #17
Iron_HawK OP
Farkle Enthusiast

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkymoto View Post
Logo is cool, man. You thinking about incorporating text in there like, "Iron Hawk Customs" ? That'd be neat.

This is a fun build...it's looking good and will be a blast to ride. Keep it up man.
Thanks! I'm still trying to find a good way to incorporate "Iron HawK Customs" or something like that... so far my ideas haven't been perfect. I refuse to put something that I'm not 100% satisfied with on the bike. Oh well, I'll keep playing with little logos till I get something good.

Other than logos, I've got some more progress done:

I have my seat cowl skeleton cut out and sanded down. I believe I still want to use a router to trim the edges up perfectly. But the wood working is nearly finished. It is the basic shape and some foam and fiberglass will make it look near perfect Here's what I have now:

I have also cut 2 number plates to cover the sides up. They have a 4.5" radius and cut from 24ga sheet metal. I drew up some neat numbers to play around with here's what I've got. I'd love some help with the numbers, I really need a cool font or design for them.

I also decided to brush and clear coat the gas cap (kinda out of boredom):

And then an action shot... well as much action as the bike has seen for a while:

The other item I wanted to finish today was the speedometer bracket. This is what I have after some hammering, cutting, grinding, and my first time using a TIG welder. I'm happy with the resultant weld. It holds good so I'm happy

Grinded the weld a bit more to clean it up:

With the speedo mounted. I wasn't very happy with the angle but it was getting there. Good place for the speedo just needed better angles:

Got the torch out and bent the bracket and Voilà we have this:

I have 3 coats of paint on the bracket currently and should be going back on the triple clamp sometime tomorrow.

Just because I couldn't stop working on the bike and I didn't really feel like going to sleep I kept working and went for the headlight. I wanted to mount the headlight closer to the bike. I ended up using the holes from the old turn signals and flipping the fork covers over to "lower" the headlight mounting position. I wire brushed the covers good also. It looks so good with the light on there. I believe I will be routing the speedo cable through the headlight basket to keep a "clean look".

That's basically everything so far. It keeps coming slowly... I guess that's how most projects are! It's finally getting to the point where you don't need a good imagination to see how it will look!

Thanks to everyone commenting and reading my posts! It means a lot and I really enjoy keeping a record on the bike along with hearing what people have to say and commenting on the build route.

Iron_HawK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:43 AM   #18
jake28
Riding to the horizon.

Oddometer: 391
Since you already have a wood frame for the seat, you could bang out a cowl out of tin almost as fast as with foam and fiberglass. Use the wood frame as a buck and grab a set of hammers and dollies.

jake28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:00 AM   #19
Hardroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Looking Good, You have a good eye for what you want. Great job.

Hope to get to ride it when you finish.

Hardroad
Hardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:44 AM   #20
Iron_HawK OP
Farkle Enthusiast

I thought about doing a little cowl out of tin. I love the looks of it, but I will be fiber glassing the entire seat pan then putting a seat on top of the pan. That way the cowl and the seat will all be one piece. My plan is to also attach the electronics to the bottom of the cowl that may be removed easily. I believe I will try to use the tin on the next bike I do though. It's all about the experience and this has allowed me to learn so much. It's killing me not to put the motor out and clean it up really good, but I want to get everything mounted and make sure all my brackets work before I take to much off.I'm very anxious to get a skid plate bent up for it too (I got the idea from August's Cycleworld with the desert sleds). I think the skidplate will make it seem a more Scrambler / practical bike. Plus, if I don't like it, who cares I don't have to put it on the bike. I'm building this bike for me, if I wanted to build something to get looks I'd chrome out some GSXR and make a useless showbike

Old 08-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #21
Iron_HawK OP
Farkle Enthusiast

Another late night... got some minor work done tonight. I used a router to perfect the edges to the seat and cowl:

I also got around to cleaning up a cover to see how the motor would turn up. It looks great and really shows a nice vintage look when brushed and cleaned:

After cleaning the cover I felt that it might be a good idea to keep the wire brush spinnin and grabbed the shocks and cleaned them up as well. Now we have this:

I then went to work on the headlight. I cleaned up the headlight lip along with the housing. I have been playing around with the idea of routing the speedo cable through the headlight housing. After mocking it up I decided that it was going to look good and help clean up the front end a tad more. I drilled a hole for the cable and used a dremel to clean it up nice. After some soap, water, and some rubbing I painted the housing satin black. I'm currently 3 coats into the headlight housing and I will be happy after the next one. Pics of it soon to come.

Question: Can I pull the rear shocks apart to clean the inner "shaft" and paint it? To my knowledge the shocks aren't rebuildable but can I still just get the springs off or something like that? I'm just curious. Thanks in advance

I feel as though this bike is dragging along so slow but I am really enjoying it. Soon to get the fiberglass going!

Old 08-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #22
Iron_HawK OP
Farkle Enthusiast

Okay I actually got the shocks apart! I had to decompress the spring to get to a nut to unscrew the top. I painted the shocks black and cleaned up the springs. It will look really good once I get them on. I'm running around today on my day off looking for new bump-stops since they were rotted out bad. Pics will come hopefully late tonight. I will also be looking for clutch and front brake clamps and leavers for a cool look. I mainly want to get rid of the nasty look of the mirror holes so hopefully I can find some clamps that don't have that. I am also looking on ebay for a dirt bike throttle tube and kill switch. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do about the turn signals and the hi, low beam switches. Any suggestions? I'm trying to keep a low budget and ebay is my friend, but anyone that would suggestion something cool or innovative is appreciated!

Old 08-18-2011, 09:13 AM   #23
Iron_HawK OP
Farkle Enthusiast

Yesterday I ordered 2 pairs of little turn signals and a LED brake light. They ought to look good and follow the design of the bike. I couldn't find anywhere that carried bump-stops for the shocks. Race tech had some for $20 a piece. I felt this was a bit over the top for my purpose, plus if I really ride the bike much I will buy new rebuildable shocks. So I went to the auto parts store and bought some rubber freeze plug stops. I actually think they will work great! The only possible downside is that they might be to hard and break / bust / chip away if the shock bottoms out to hard. for $12 it was worth a shot and it's enough to feel comfortable to ride down the road some. I also bought some 3/4" pip (1" O.D.) to use as the hoop on the subframe. I will be bending this and welding the pipe as my next step. I still need to take some pics of the painted shocks. I have also been looking for foam for the fiberglass. I have alot to get done before school starts (the 24th) but it will keep me sane after long days of studing.

Thank you for reading again! I can't wait till I get the fiberglass done so I can start tearing the motor out and cleaning it up

Old 08-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #24
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,021
Tank Logo

Nice build so far, how about in the logo you play around with putting the initials IHC in the "slices of pie", so an I in the bottom left "pie slice" and then a H and C in the middle and right bottom "pie slices"?
Old 08-18-2011, 11:34 AM   #25
Iron_HawK OP
Farkle Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
Nice build so far, how about in the logo you play around with putting the initials IHC in the "slices of pie", so an I in the bottom left "pie slice" and then a H and C in the middle and right bottom "pie slices"?
Thanks man! I like that idea and I'll whip that in photoshop tonight to see how it looks! I really like the nautical star look, but the wings arn't doing it for me I might try to fix the wings or something. I'll post a few ideas later and see what ya'll think!

Old 08-19-2011, 08:17 AM   #26
Iron_HawK OP
Farkle Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
Rubber is graded by Durometer. Higher Durometer the harder the rubber. Wonder what the Durometer of NAPA freeze plugs is?

In case the freeze plug doesn't work out, Home Depot sells rubber bottle stoppers. Cheap too. Much cheaper than NAPA freeze plugs. I know, have spent money on both.

The bottle stoppers can be drilled and sawn as need be. btdt too.
I'll try to find out the hardness of the rubber in a bit. Thanks for the heads up on the bottle stoppers!

Well here's my new favorite logo:

I am in the process of re-doing it for a final copy. It's not perfect but gets the idea across. I liked the looks of the I H C in the pie slices but I ended up doing this and I think it looks very nice and clean Should look great on the side of the tank!

Sorry for the huge logo. Thought it might be small enough. I'm doing it in Photoshop CS5 so it turns out to be a JPEG. So I'm using a 5000x5000 pixel canvas. The high resolution helps when I convert it to a vector. I need to get into Vector art but I haven't tried any programs for that.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #27
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,021
Looks good, and hey if it works for you that's what matters most
Old 08-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #28
Iron_HawK OP
Farkle Enthusiast

Well here's the final product! I like it better and it's cleaner. I converted the JPEG to a EPS (Vector file) and I'm about to take it in to get a couple stickers made for the tank and mby one for the Jeep. Hope ya'll like it!

btw the font is off a Corvette

More progress I got the pics uploaded to the computer. I have the headlight mounted with the painted headlight housing. It looks nice all cleaned up:

I also cleaned up and painted the shocks. I got the rubber put on the shaft. It looks much better now and I feel better about jumping the bike and not having to worrying about bottoming out as much. Here's the old with the new, kinda big difference:

All the parts ready to be put back on:

Final assembly:

It's coming together... still

Old 08-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #29
Iron_HawK OP
Farkle Enthusiast

Got some more work done tonight... I got the big oxy acetylene torch out to do some heatin I bent the back of the subframe inwards like so:

Then after a while of heating up and bending the $8 pipe from Lowes we have this:

After some cutting and grinding:

Then using the torch as a welder we have this, it really looks great :

Ended up burning a hole in the subframe. I will be filling it in once I tear it down to the frame:

I also decided to shorten up the cowl by about 1/2" or so. I still need to weld up some brackets for mountin the cowl in the rear. After the sanding and fitting we have this:

Then I had some extra time and sheet metal and I started on the rear fender. It's simply a 6"x8" piece of sheet metal that I will be bending a bit to keep it from looking like a half-ass fender. I believe I will bend opposite edges in 1/2" to make it look a bit better. It will help protect the battery and the electronics from dirt and crap from the road. This is what I have tonight, I will try to get more done before work tomorrow.

I will also be making a battery box soon, I just need to find the cheapest 12V battery I can

The turn singals and brake lights should be here tuesday, After I get brackets made for all them I will be working the wiring to find what I need to weld to the frame. Then pretty much I'm going to tear the motor out and start getting to the fun part.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #30
Goggles Paisano
AKA Walter Mitty

Oddometer: 1,422
I like it. One thing though; Is it legal to run just a tach in the place of the speedo? If it is, thats what I'd do. seems to me that the tach is what you want hanging out up there on a cafe.