User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2015, 07:45 PM   #1
Kiba OP
Dances With Huskies

Oddometer: 164
Honda CM450E Questions

Hi, just picked up a 1982 CM450E in rideable but somewhat rough shape and I have a couple of questions that google can't readily answer.

-Is it possible to retrofit a kickstarter to the CM450E motor? No kicker on an old, simple bike like this seems a little silly to me, and I use my kick-only XT600 as a daily driver. Also not interested on relying on the button with this thing's hacked up wiring.

CB450 cases seem similar but I haven't had a close look. What makes me ask is there is an indentation in the clutch side cover where a kickstarter shaft would normally go, but instead of a shaft poking out it's just a pointless sealed cylinder. Can I get, say, the clutch side cover, kicker, and kickstarter shaft with gears/shims/etc, from another honda twin and swap them out?

-The carbs. The stock carbs on this thing are terrible. Impossible to adjust and don't work well unless everything is stock. Well, I don't have an airbox courtesy of the previous owner, and even if I can get one the airbox boots are $45 each and impossible to find used. Right now I've jury-rigged a filter set using cheap pod filters and soda cans (don't laugh) to simulate vacuum, which has kept it from leaning out during testing and made it usable, but still creates surges and bogs etc. Any solution short of spending nearly $200 in parts to rebuild the stock air filter system?

Everything else on the bike is fun though.

The old-school feel is nice, and the giant drum brakes, buckhorn bars, sportser-type seat and so on are kind of enjoyable.

Wolves do it in the snow.
Kiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:07 AM   #2
ctfz1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,165
um

Looking around the web for answers, the 79 CB/CM400T motor is 5 speed kickstart and parts can be changed over.
However you lose 6th gear, as this replaced kickstart mechanism.
These bikes jump start easily, and upgrading the wiring seems easier than changing out transmission and side cover.
You need to find forums specific to these bikes.
I suspect various airboxes from newer twins might be adapted, or you could build one around an automotive air filter.
Adapting small dirtbike single airboxes might work. PVC plumbing elbows and radiator hose can work.
Patience and creativity.
An air tight seal to the carb flange, and a large enough intake for the air box are the basics. You can seal your "airbox" permantly if it is cheap enough and easy enough to replicate.
CB/CL350 Hondas had either one or two filters under side covers, do no remember which.
Carbs and air box from a GS500 Suzuki maybe (though jetting could get interesting).

ctfz1 screwed with this post 02-07-2015 at 12:15 AM
ctfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote