ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
Michelangelo OP
2 wheel rider...anytime..
 
Michelangelo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Rocky Mountain West
Oddometer: 1,635
What grease for steering head bearings?

yes I tried the 'search' feature.


Looking for something that can be bought at a local Checker, Pep Boys or Wal Mart and not some special Honda or KTM labeled super slick expensive stuff that has to be ordered.

Want to be able to use for steering head bearings, shock linkages and wheel bearings when needed. Up to now Ive used the red, heavy duty grease for my bearings and shock linkages with occasional steering head bearing set too.
__________________
ALL MOTO ADVENTURE,LLC.
Utah Offroad-Adventure Motorcycle Tours.
https://www.facebook.com/UtahAdventureMotorcycleTours
Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer
 
anotherguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: the hills
Oddometer: 5,936
I use BelRay waterproof grease. Whatever you get just be sure it's waterproof grease and everything will be fine.
__________________
A lie has no feet......it can't stand alone.............
Jason Newsted
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable
 
rapidoxidationman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: The Teton Rockies
Oddometer: 8,140
the quart tub of red heavy duty wheel bearing grease is what I go to when I want something to stay slippery (that didn't come out right).
Unless I know it'll be high temperature, then it is the synthetic brake grease from a tube.

Isn't all dino grease waterproof? Or am I missing something?
__________________
Quote:
I know I'm feeling badly when I have no interest in speeding
Patrick
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
sailah
Lampin' it
 
sailah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Turning expensive metal into scrap
Oddometer: 5,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
i use belray waterproof grease. Whatever you get just be sure it's waterproof grease and everything will be fine.
+1
__________________
We're not out here to rough it. We're here to smooth it . Things are rough enough in town.

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer
 
anotherguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: the hills
Oddometer: 5,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
the quart tub of red heavy duty wheel bearing grease is what I go to when I want something to stay slippery (that didn't come out right).
Unless I know it'll be high temperature, then it is the synthetic brake grease from a tube.

Isn't all dino grease waterproof? Or am I missing something?
When churned up by bearing action some greases will mix with water and lose all lubricating properties. Just read the label and be sure it states clearly it's waterproof.
__________________
A lie has no feet......it can't stand alone.............
Jason Newsted
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
P B G
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Greater Chicago
Oddometer: 9,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
When churned up by bearing action some greases will mix with water and lose all lubricating properties. Just read the label and be sure it states clearly it's waterproof.
Ya, luckily there are a ton of waterproof axle/wheel bearing trailer greases that are more than sufficient for steering head bearings.

Sadly what kills steering head bearings isn't so much the lubrication as the fact that bearings are designed to spin, and you go thousands of miles with just a few degrees of turning left/right with the majority of that in a couple degrees of middle and straight ahead vibrating.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:25 PM   #7
troidus
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 12,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
Sadly what kills steering head bearings isn't so much the lubrication as the fact that bearings are designed to spin, and you go thousands of miles with just a few degrees of turning left/right with the majority of that in a couple degrees of middle and straight ahead vibrating.
Which makes me wonder why they use tapered rollers instead of sleeve bearings.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:44 AM   #8
P B G
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Greater Chicago
Oddometer: 9,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Which makes me wonder why they use tapered rollers instead of sleeve bearings.
Sleeve could still oblong under that sort of continuous load, and would probably bind more rapidly when worn than a tapered roller does when notched.

The service life of those bearings is pretty good on road bikes.

I would take one where the race was mounted in a unit that could be rotated periodically. Set screw and turn it 15 degrees counter clockwise and go another 30K.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:38 AM   #9
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer
 
stainlesscycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: morgantown, wv
Oddometer: 2,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post

I would take one where the race was mounted in a unit that could be rotated periodically. Set screw and turn it 15 degrees counter clockwise and go another 30K.
+1

use waterproof grease. another cause of wear is loose stem lock nut. play in the stem will destroy them quickly.
__________________
current bikes
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:42 AM   #10
DRZ400SK4
Beastly Adventurer
 
DRZ400SK4's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Newfoundland
Oddometer: 2,047
Quote:
Looking for something that can be bought at a local Checker, Pep Boys or Wal Mart and not some special Honda or KTM labeled super slick expensive stuff that has to be ordered.

Want to be able to use for steering head bearings, shock linkages and wheel bearings when needed. Up to now Ive used the red, heavy duty grease for my bearings and shock linkages with occasional steering head bearing set too.

OMC Triple Guard.

It can be bought at any boating or marine supplies shop, and it's designed to stand up to the rigors of marine use. Great stuff for suspension links, head bearings, and wheel dust seals. Pretty much as waterproof as any grease can be.

__________________
2008 Yamaha FZ1 / 2009 Kawasaki KLX450R / 2012 Triumph Scrambler

My Photos In Google Earth
DRZ400SK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:36 AM   #11
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..
 
ADV8's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: North of Sydney.
Oddometer: 2,113
MOREYS BIGFOOT EP GREASE

Description:
CATEGORICALLY THE BEST HIGH TEMPERATURE /MULTI-PURPOSE/ TACKY-ADHESIVE EP GREASE FOR HEAVY DUTY, SEVERE SERVICE APPLICATIONS. Product Description: BIGFOOT GREASE is a superior Lithium Complex Grease to provide excellent lubricating qualities over a wide range of temperatures. Designed for work under the toughest conditions in operating temperatures from -40F to +450F (-40C to +200C ), with excellent mechanical and chemical stability. BIGFOOT is the grease designed to always ''stay in place'' under the worst operating conditions of water-dirt-mud, providing maximum protection.

When they say tacky they mean tacky.
__________________

ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #12
Michelangelo OP
2 wheel rider...anytime..
 
Michelangelo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Rocky Mountain West
Oddometer: 1,635
that's great an all, what with all these fancy names and brands but my initial question still stands: can these be had at a local auto shop or walmart? That is the key to my post.
__________________
ALL MOTO ADVENTURE,LLC.
Utah Offroad-Adventure Motorcycle Tours.
https://www.facebook.com/UtahAdventureMotorcycleTours
Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:53 AM   #13
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer
 
anotherguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: the hills
Oddometer: 5,936
Sure just read the label.
__________________
A lie has no feet......it can't stand alone.............
Jason Newsted
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:50 AM   #14
Wasser
Spilt my beer
 
Wasser's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 4,475
Sta-Lube PN# SL3151

It is NLGI #2 white lithum, EP, water proof grease.

NAPA carries it. It's boat trailer, wheel bearing grease. Exact cross reference to the grease called for in a Honda service manual for steering head bearings.
Wasser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
I use BelRay waterproof grease. Whatever you get just be sure it's waterproof grease and everything will be fine.
I use that grease also (for most everything) and I've always wondered what makes it 'waterproof' over other greases which are not ?
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014