User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
JamieElvidge OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
New ADV/Touring mag - what do you want?

I'm Jamie Elvidge, a long-time motojournalist. Have written and tested for a bunch of mags over the last 20+ years, and started the original Motorcycle Escape Magazine for Motorcyclist. I currently work for Cycle World and will be recreating their title, MC Travel & Adventure. This time around, we are going for 75%ADV/25%street touring. So, here I am asking the coolest community of ADV riders what they'd like to see in the ultimate magazine. What kind of product info, products, bike tests, skills development stories, travel stories and travel information would you like to see. If you could help us make the perfect magazine for YOU, what would it look like?

Thanks in advance! Jamie
Old 03-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieElvidge View Post
If you could help us make the perfect magazine for YOU, what would it look like?

The perfect magazine would look like ADVrider and
Horizons Unlimited and Expedition Portal, along with
the excellent Enduro 360 blog and whatever other sites
are of interest to the individual reader. For BMW owners that
might include the BMWMOA web site, for KTM owners there is
the KTM Talk website, and so on. The end result in todays world
is that each individual gets to design his or her own personal perfect
"magazine" already, by surfing to the websites of his or her choice.

The internet has changed the world. There was a time
when we waited with anticipation for the latest issue of
Cycle, Cycle World, Bike, etc. but that was then and this
is now.

The "model" which works best these days doesn't involve selling
subscriptions to readers, it involves selling ad space to advertisers
while readers get to read the "magazine" ( or web site ) for free. If
you can show a potential advertiser your site has enough traffic of the
sort they would like to communicate with ( people who would buy what they
are selling ) you can make money selling ad space.

However, the opening I see which no one has yet filled is a site which
gives thorough unbiased reviews of motorcycles and associated gear.
A sort of Consumer Reports for motorcycle riders, or a motorcycle
version of Practical Sailor is what I am thinking of here. I would pay for
really well done gear reviews, which were accurate and brutally honest.
Such reviews would have to involve testing which used the scientific method
rather than just a bunch of opinions, in order to have value to me. Most
existing magazines don't offer this sort of testing, though the German magazines
do a better job than most.

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 04:59 PM
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,701
pitch this:

showcase a sweet ride to a hot spring destination to spend that night or sleep real close to. show which roads to ride, where to stay, where the spring is and where to eat. give some suggestion where to ride the next day (or the next spring to visit the next night).

some destination springs are orvis, saratoga, strawberry, ojo caliente, saline, maple grove & the list goes on (see Butler Maps)

beyond hot springs POIs you can use: old historical hotels, incredible landmarks to see, natural wonders/national parks, historic railroads to ride, epic restaurants each night, motorcycle museums and so on.

the ride and the daily final destination are equally important.
make people feel like they are local!

picture heavy, ride guide, map and .gpx file plus a special pricing deal package for magazine readers.

i've yet to see a mag write about a hot spring destination ride, but I've talked to plenty of riders who do in fact seek out hot springs for that night's soak.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps

eakins screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 12:15 AM
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:05 AM   #4
eakins
Butler Maps

i agree with the unbiased reviews done with non-identified testers.
no interaction between to taint reviews.

no attachments to companies what so ever. they are thanked for their valuable time with some nice restaurant comps or such, but no swag.
do as much as you can, so they are comfortable giving a brutally honest rating anonymously.

pure numerical rating on different aspects and develop a final score # like google does for everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
The perfect magazine would look like ADVrider and
Horizons Unlimited and Expedition Portal, along with
the excellent Enduro 360 blog and whatever other sites
are of interest to the individual reader. For BMW owners that
might include the BMWMOA web site, for KTM owners there is
the KTM Talk website, and so on. The end result in todays world
is that each individual gets to design his or her own personal perfect
"magazine" already, by surfing to the websites of his or her choice.

The internet has changed the world. There was a time
when we waited with anticipation for the latest issue of
Cycle, Cycle World, Bike, etc. but that was then and this
is now.

The "model" which works best these days doesn't involve selling
subscriptions to readers, it involves selling ad space to advertisers
while readers get to read the "magazine" ( or web site ) for free. If
you can show a potential advertiser your site has enough traffic of the
sort they would like to communicate with ( people who would buy what they
are selling ) you can make money selling ad space.

existing magazines don't offer this sort of testing, though the German magazines

eakins screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 12:11 AM
Old 03-19-2013, 03:47 AM   #5
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,195
Hot chicks

Hot chicks that can actually ride would be even better

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:21 AM   #6
OneZero
TGT of Opportunity

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
+1

There is no greater honor in this world than leading U.S. Soldiers at home and abroad. 'nuff said.
OneZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:33 AM   #7
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,313
Ride tests seem quite pointless.

We all know how the KLR beats all bikes including the new Super Tenere in all tests conducted thus-far.

Motorcycle USA:

"At a glance the KLR 650 is about as far from sexy as a motorcycle can get. A pretty bike it ain't. Nor is it particularly impressive in its performance output. But when the zombie apocalypse ravages the globe (and you know that it will), the KLR is the ultimate head for the hills machine. "

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/586/15...ki-KLR650.aspx

I post this in jest, of course, just to pee people off.

And I ride a KLR. Yes, I actually enjoy the "Thailand Caddillac".
A bike so foul that they cant even ride it in Thailand where it's assembled, because it does not meet local emissions. That's wack.

Kawasucker does not spend hardly a thin dime in "innovation" in 25 years, yet clearly they are greasing someone's palms to consistently get articles like those.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
JamieElvidge OP
n00b

Thanks guys. Keep the ideas coming. I love the idea of a Hot Springs tour and the KLR thread (I've owned one and long-termed tested another for MCist) reminds me there is such a huge following for that bike...even if it isn't exactly news. I will make sure we celebrate it. The unbiased part? I have worked for Moto, auto and marine magazines, and I can honestly say that the moto mag reviews are (sadly) as close as it comes to unbiased reporting. I don't know if any of you have read my tests over the years, but I've had plenty of advertisers pull ads over my statements re: their products/bikes. It ain't perfect, I agree, and I hear you and want the same.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 5,321
Congratulations on a third (fourth?) incarnation is what appears to be a very changeable industry . . . . . . .

Take this with a grain of salt (I am much closer to the end of my riding career than the beginning, so my interests may not be a majority view) but my interests tend to be more about the ride, and riding, than the next game-changing motorcycle . . . . more software than hardware, if you will.

I know that hardware is much easier to write about (the models is very well understood, thank you Joe Parkhurst), and certainly that kind of thing can attract advertisers, but it has become more about the ride than the bike, for me.

Accessories to support ADV riding would be of insterst, of course . . . . camping/cooking/living out of doors supported by a motorcycle . . . . home performed modifications to the hardware we've got to extend it's usefulness . . ..

Keep in mind that the country is larger than the view from most motorcycle magazine's offices . . . California is a wonderful place to ride, but there are equally engaging places all over the country . . . .

Weeklong, monthlong, life long rides are epic, no doubt . . . . .help a working stiff plan a microadventure over a weekend (or inspire said stiff with teh tools and mindset to do it him/herself).

With the aging of the entire country taking place, some attention to issues specific to silverback riders might be a good idea . . . adjusting ergos, stretching excersizes, ibuprohin BEFORE the ride, and like that ;-}

Overland Journal without some of the, er, pretention, would be a good target to aim for, I'm thinkin . . . . . . .

Lastly, though the net HAS changed the world, ther is still a place for a good quality printed publication in my life, and, from the looks of the local bookstore's news rack, in that of others, as well . . . . . . .

Best of luck, though -- looking forward to seeing what results . . . .

bomber60015 screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 12:21 PM
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
PhoenixGirl63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
Congratulations on a thrid (fourth?) incarnation is what appears to be a very changeable industry . . . . . . .

Take this with a grain of salt (I am much closer to the end of my riding career than the beginning, so my interests may not be a majority view) but my interests tend to be more about the ride, and riding, than the next game-changing motorcycle . . . . more software than hardware, if you will.

I know that hardware is much easier to write about (the models is very well understood, thank you Joe Parkhurst), and certainly that kind of thing can attract advertisers, but it has become more about the ride than the bike, for me.

Accessories to support ADV riding would be of insterst, of course . . . . camping/cooking/living out of doors supported by a motorcycle . . . . home performed modifications to the hardware we've got to extend it's usefulness . . ..

Keep in mind that the country is larger than the view from most motorcycle magazine's offices . . . California is a wonderful place to ride, but there are equally engaging places all over the country . . . .

Weeklong, monthlong, life long rides are epic, no doubt . . . . .help a working stiff plan a microadventure over a weekend (or inspire said stiff with teh tools and mindset to do it him/herself).

With the aging of the entire country taking place, some attention to issues specific to silverback riders might be a good idea . . . adjusting ergos, stretching excersizes, ibuprohin BEFORE the ride, and like that ;-}

Overland Journal without some of the, er, pretention, would be a good target to aim for, I'm thinkin . . . . . . .

Lastly, though the net HAS changed the world, ther is still a place for a good quality printed publication in my life, and, from the looks of the local bookstore's news rack, in that of others, as well . . . . . . .

Best of luck, though -- looking forward to seeing what results . . . .

What Bomber said. And, don't forget some focus on the women riders. We go on adventures, too! And, EVERY woman is 'hot' in her own way, simply for the confidence of riding her own ride in the first place.
PhoenixGirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #11
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixGirl63 View Post
What Bomber said. And, don't forget some focus on the women riders. We go on adventures, too! And, EVERY woman is 'hot' in her own way, simply for the confidence of riding her own ride in the first place.
add to that good bikes and mods for women.
seems all the mags focus on huge adv bikes and the macho effect.
plenty ride 200-250cc dual sports.
give some space to keeping the older dual sports alive and what to do to freshen one.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #12
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 1,889
I remember when I was 15 I would wait breathlessly for the next issue of Cycle World. If you can make me feel 15 again, I will subscribe...
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #13
CordR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Sounds like a good initiative. Hope it gets off the ground!

Since you are targeting primarily the ADV crowd, I think anything that falls within adventure/travel/camping/maintenance/gear etc is bang on.

Every mag seems to have their main feature articles and it may or may not be something that interests me. If it does, great. If not, I like the individual departments/themes where there is a two (or more) page spread on the various topics.

So each month would consistently have the blurb on:

- general trail maintenance/fixes
- camping gear - moto specific items that are tested and rated
- travel tips - borders, currency, logistics, shipping
- bike builds - actual bikes featured that have actually traveled a substantial distance. I don't want what every manufacturer says you need, I want to know what Colebatch did to get across Russia and the like. (though I do understand the need to sell advertising to these same manufacturers....so good luck with that)
- preparing for the journey, but beyond the bike. Physical, mental etc.

Basically, I would take the hottest, most viewed topics on this site and others and make sure that there are a couple pages each issue for each topic.

One other thing I think I would add is some sort of 'how to' noobie section where basic items from our secret language or learned skills is spelled out. Not a comparison of 5 helmets where they don't yet understand what the features are, but how to walk into a store and buy a helmet....or clothing....or a bike......."what to look for in your first bike" etc. I haven't been at this very long, but trying to share all I've learned with a friend that is a new rider and thought the 1200 GS would be a good bike, well, it reminds me of how much I've learned in these last few years.

Lastly, I don't know exactly how to word it, but while I like formula, I also want to be surprised. I don't want to feel like I've already read it once I've flipped through the first two pages. How that is solved is a question mark, but I do know that sometimes I lose interest if it's the same stuff every time.

Best of luck with the new venture.

Cord

CordR screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 03:39 PM
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #14
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,264
I would ask that you get a better mix of fantasy trips and reality trips. I like reading about RTW trips or trips to places I will never go. But, like 99+% of your readers, those trips will never happen for me.Anf that's OK because I also like to read about domestic day trips, overnighters and long weekends. And as posted earlier, supply maps/gps files, places to room/camp. Heck, what are good places to drop off and store a trailer? Spots to get gas in remote places. Help me make that trip! In fact, wander over to the "ride reports" section and see which threads have the most views and posts. That will show you what we like. Trust me, some of the most popular ones are very simple trips.

Tell me what went wrong on your trip so I can avoid it on mine ("I would have liked more/less aggressive tires", "I wish the tent had a bigger vestibule to keep my stinky boots out of the rain").

Also, don't commit to any one style of bike. Not every trip needs to be a Super Tenere and GS. How about a more aggressive off road trip on bikes under 650cc's? How about an all asphalt trip - lots of people here still like those too?

I guess what I'm saying is people seem to write about stereotypical or ideal trips, not actual trips. Sure, cater to our fantasies but feed our practical side too.

Good luck!
Old 03-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #15
JamieElvidge OP
n00b

Great response

This is really helpful stuff - keep it coming, I am listening! Is there some way to get this post in the deeper forums? I'm new to posting, but am really picking up what you real-world riders are laying down! Thanks much. Jamie