Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #166
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Well back in March I had a few detailed phone calls with Brian, and he was able to give me a lot of guidance on boot selection and fitting. I already have a great boot for the serious off road stuff (Sidi Force Flex, basically the old version of the Crossfire), and wanted a boot that would be comfy for a lot of road miles, walking around, and light dirt riding (i.e. just easy dirt roads). In the end it was down to the Balance Oiled and the G-Midland. I ordered both for a side by side fitting, and used Brian's recommendations on sizing based on what I already wear. He nailed it spot on!

I opted for the G-Midland, even though I wanted to love the Balance Oiled. The Oiled is indeed great for big calfs on big guys, but I am skinny and it just seemed weird on my legs. The G-Midland, while at the smallest end of its adjustment, was a much better fit around my skinny legs. For reference I am 5'11" and 160 lbs). I did feel the toe box was big, so I put in Super Feet insoles for the primary purpose of lifting up the foot bed. Perfect, that did the trick! The boots felt great and I had not ridden on them yet.

I did not want to post feed back until I got a lot of riding on them. Well now I have been to Alaska and back and have racked up 8300 miles on these G-Midlands.

All in all, the boots are great. Not much for armor, so don't expect these to save you in gnarly off road stuff. But even riding a big F800GS on easy dirt roads, they provide enough support to give you comfort from a tip over. They are a bit warm in 90-100 deg weather, but what isn't? These ARE Goretex and non vented, so they are as hot as any other boot I've owned. In cold, I was fine riding for a few hours in 38 deg F weather, which included fog, rain, and mud. For a brief moment I could feel a little chill coming through, but they did a good job at keeping me warm, and kept me 100% dry.

Here are the Midland's covered in muddy slime, on the bottom, on the Dalton Highway.

The sole is nice and robust, lugged, and comfortable. After my Alaska trip I rode my F800GS into work with my work boots, but I turned around after one block because my feet felt too exposed. I threw on my Midlands, and instantly felt so much better and more comfortable. I will even wear them all day at work, which is a mix of office and walking around a plant, because they are that comfy. With jeans around the outside, they do not stick out too much since the sole and sewn construction looks traditional.

All in all, a great do it all boot that is very comfy. It will go well in your gear closet with your enduro boot, and your street or touring boot.
isaac004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #167
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,064
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac004 View Post
W

All in all, a great do it all boot that is very comfy.
ditto

Rapid Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #168
BillMoore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Ordered another pair of these today from Brian at Atomic-Moto, now my wife and I will have matching boots.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:23 PM   #169
Crazy Legs
Let's Ride!

Oddometer: 86
Gaerne G-Midlands for me too

I just bought a pair of Gaerne G-Midlands from Atomic Moto today too. I have been reading everything about every brand. The opinions I get from this site mean a lot to me. You guys are the "real" riders out there so if you give a item a thumbs up then it is good enough for me.

I would also like to thank Brian for all his comments and in answering many questions so quickly.
Crazy Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:59 AM   #170
huguesfrederic
HF

Oddometer: 120
Disintegrating Boots

I have wore these boots probably 7 days and the stitches are letting go the boot is disintegrating on me. Probably not waterproof anymore. Very bad purchase and built quality. The most expensive boots ever 43$ per day!
Old 06-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #171
SQ Beemer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by huguesfrederic View Post
I have wore these boots probably 7 days and the stitches are letting go the boot is disintegrating on me. Probably not waterproof anymore. Very bad purchase and built quality. The most expensive boots ever 43$ per day!
I'm guessing you are suffering from a QA issue. My G-Midlands have been pretty bulletproof for the last 2 years, having gone through MANY offroad spills, rain, mud, etc.
SQ Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote