User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
DOUBLE-O G OP
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,641
2014 Yamaha 3-Wheeler Scooter

Yamaha is working on its version of the Piaggio MP3 for 2014. Will we see it in the US? Doubtful.

Links here (in French):
http://www.moto-net.com/breve.php?RefBreve=6132

http://www.scooter-station.com/Le-sc...es-photos.html
Old 07-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
I guess Piaggio's design patents ran out. But the MP3 is still being sold here, and it is not doing well (local dealer still has new '09 models on the floor) so it is unlikely someone else would bring in a copy of one.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I guess Piaggio's design patents ran out. But the MP3 is still being sold here, and it is not doing well (local dealer still has new '09 models on the floor) so it is unlikely someone else would bring in a copy of one.
Yep paiggio great product , hit and miss for parts and also just to much cash at least for me.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Same situation for the MP3s here in Sacramento. The dealer still has several left and they're not moving. I think the idea is great and I'd like to ride one, but after my experience with Piaggio over this last year, I wouldn't trust an MP3...they're fairly complex and I'm guessing parts, service and possibility reliability might be a problem.

I've said before that if the MP3 patent runs out for Piaggio and the Japanese companies start making them, I'd take a serious look...

Hope they come here...
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:00 AM   #5
rkwfxd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Just seems like a more complicated way to get down the road to me. I suppose you might get better traction in the corners with two front tires.

What are the benefits?
rkwfxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:23 AM   #6
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwfxd View Post
Just seems like a more complicated way to get down the road to me. I suppose you might get better traction in the corners with two front tires.

What are the benefits?
Less chance for loosing front-end grip on problem surfaces. These type of scooters can commonly corner much swifter on wet cobblestone roundabouts, and have less loss of traction crossing wet rail/streetcar/zebra crossing surfaces. Manhole covers (wet ones?) are one more item easily ridden over.

Superbike Piaggio MP3 400 Commercial

Take note of the weave across streetcar tracks, wet surface cornering, and rear-lifting stoppie.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I notice that there are (300cc?) Chinese-built leaning tadpole trikes presently on sale in the US:

Old 07-09-2013, 06:45 AM   #7
k3ith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I'm guessing it's more a matter of Yamaha coming up with a different design for the mechanics so that it's not a patent violation. I'm pretty sure I saw some French company is testing out their own leaner as well.

From what I've seen the MP3 isn't doing well in the US, but is selling better (like most scooters) in Europe. It'd be very surprising to see it come to the US as a result, but given the choice I'd personally prefer a Yamaha over a Piaggio. The Yamahas I've owned have been quite reliable.
k3ith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #8
topless
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I was really interested in a MP3 until I ran into the price and the local dealer. Not completely convinced that anything French is as reliable as a Japanese bike.
The concept is a great but I couldn't get over the cost.
topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
It's expensive scooters in general that don't sell well here. For every name brand scooter I see about 10 Chinese scooters. This being a university town, Chinese scooters are everywhere.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
rkwfxd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
Less chance for loosing front-end grip on problem surfaces. These type of scooters can commonly corner much swifter on wet cobblestone roundabouts, and have less loss of traction crossing wet rail/streetcar/zebra crossing surfaces. Manhole covers (wet ones?) are one more item easily ridden over.

Superbike Piaggio MP3 400 Commercial

Take note of the weave across streetcar tracks, wet surface cornering, and rear-lifting stoppie.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I notice that there are (300cc?) Chinese-built leaning tadpole trikes presently on sale in the US:

Thanks. Neat vid. Especially the part where they are going through cones in the wet. I have ridden in FAR too much rain over the years though. I no longer do so. I am definitely a fair weather rider.
rkwfxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #11
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 651
There are 9 of them listed on the local Craigslist , I know of one that has been on there for over a year . A couple brand new left overs and the used ones all have super low miles . There was a pristine 250 listed for maybe 2 years with a couple thousand miles on it , but it's gone now . I would like to have one in the collection but it's not some thing I would want to drive a daily basis . To many nuts and bolts in that front end , and I too have heard about the parts problem . All that said they are intriguing .

TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post
There are 9 of them listed on the local Craigslist , I know of one that has been on there for over a year . A couple brand new left overs and the used ones all have super low miles . There was a pristine 250 listed for maybe 2 years with a couple thousand miles on it , but it's gone now . I would like to have one in the collection but it's not some thing I would want to drive a daily basis . To many nuts and bolts in that front end , and I too have heard about the parts problem . All that said they are intriguing .

TheReaper!
Really I like them but at 3 grand on the low end ( not that often ) to 5500 used it doesn't make sence to me . You can buy a new texus sidecar for that price to and get the same type of controll. Even the 250 MP3 seem to get 55 Mpg as the high end leave you kind of cold. COnsidering that The Japan motorcycle companies are showing signs of new scooter that get 80 MPG plus in that cc you have to wonder. Total life time cost of ownership is the main thing for me at the end of the day. What ever I buy New isn't not going anywhere for 10 Year at least or 40 000 Miles. It's the last time with being disable I can afford a new form of transport.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #13
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3ith View Post
I'm pretty sure I saw some French company is testing out their own leaner as well.
Peugeot has had them for sale for a while. link ici- http://www.peugeot-metropolis.com/. Piaggio also makes a 125 version of the bike.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #14
Underboning
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
Looks like a three-wheeled version of the Tesseract concept that Yamaha was showing a few years ago.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/27/y...n-development/
Underboning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #15
Houndguy
super noob!!!

Oddometer: 50
Question

I considered a MP3 500cc when I was in the market not that long ago. My biggest issue came done to stability. Frankly I just wasn't sure if the bike would put up with my nearly daily commutes at highway speed.