Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #136
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

Oddometer: 1,273
Good to hear you didn't prang yourself. As the old japanese owners manual said "beware the grease mud."

So how many miles have you accumulated on it?

Eek!! More boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited":
http://www.woodsrat.com
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #137
deezildennis OP
Its a what?

Oddometer: 763
About 4k I think. I trashed my first speedo so the milage is off a bit since I road it for a while with it broke.

The clicking has went away but I am still taking it in this week to have it gone over to see if the wheel/axle bearing is shot.

I am still happy with it. I want the dealer to check the Valve gaps while I am there since it is supposedly past due for it.
deezildennis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #138
deezildennis OP
Its a what?

She still a Runnin. Had it serviced at the dealer near the end of may. Had valves checked and a clicking in the back sorted out after banging it into a curb. I assume it was a bad wheel bearing. He replaced them with some SKF? Bearings.

It has not made the noise since.

And like last summer it seems to be dealing with the heat and humidity great. I still ride it just about everyday since my Bonneville hurts my knee.

Maybe next summer I'll sell it and get a 250cc. I Want a Honda Helix but I really don't want to pay what they seem to be going for.

I might even buy a Knockoff Helix My Dealer can get. It's tempting for the price.

The Bonnie is probably going to have to go. Looks like I need to look at the new Royal Enfields or maybe a Dnepr???
Old 08-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #139
deezildennis OP
Its a what?

Update. Still a Running. I have a Rattle around the muffler somewhere.
I have been contemplating putting a aftermarket muffler on it anyway.

I just really hate like hell to do anything to it other than maintenance though.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #140
getupkid
n00b

Oddometer: 3
How many miles do you have on it now? I just got mine, have 12 miles on it haha when I first start mine, it idles for a few seconds and then slowly starts to die. When I drive it for a while, the idle causes the wheel to spin a little. Have you had any issues like this or know what I could do to fix this? I was thinking about adjusting the air/fuel mixture, have you done this and if you have, was there a plug over the screw?
getupkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #141
ronnath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,445
saw my first one out in the wild two days ago. exactly like yours.

i find myself lustful.
ronnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #142
deezildennis OP
Its a what?

I have 4300 miles on it right now. Getupkid, I am not sure about the Carb issue you are having. The Carb is very easy to access though on these from under the seat. 20 or 30 minutes you should have it out.

I have had mine off but it was just for the hell of it and it just got a rinse out with berrymans and thrown back on. Sounds like yours maybe a issue with the auto choke? The Guys and Gals at http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index.cgi Helped me diagnose a Kymco carb issue before and they were spot on. Sign up over there and see what they have to say.

I have ran a few capfulls of seafoam in the tank at every fillup since new and I am sure it has help curb the common Chinese carb issues.

Ronnah where did you see one like mine? I spent a few minutes talking to a fellow the other day about mine. It's hard to take it to places like the hardware store and not be asked about it. I thought about getting rid of it now that i have the Helix but I Really doubt I will.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #143
ronnath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezildennis View Post

Ronnah where did you see one like mine? I spent a few minutes talking to a fellow the other day about mine. It's hard to take it to places like the hardware store and not be asked about it. I thought about getting rid of it now that i have the Helix but I Really doubt I will.

Vet's Hospital parking lot, Des Moines, Iowa, sitting amongst some other scooters and a bunch of harleys.
ronnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #144
getupkid
n00b

Dennis,

Have you changed your jets or rollers? If so, what size worked best for you? Have you made any other changes?
getupkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #145
deezildennis OP
Its a what?

The rollers and jets were great out of the box. I haven't touched either.

I probably won't unless they wear out or the carb gets fouled up.

Might as well update the thread while I'm here.

Bike is still running fine. I lost a exhaust bolt from the swinger a while back.
I bought another complete seat set from Ssr so can have a upholstery guy I know recover it in brown leather. The stock seat is fine BTW and is one of the most comfortable seats I have ever had on a bike. No kidding..
Old 09-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #146
johnyrrr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Is it possible to get the info on the extra seat I'd like to get one fOr my scoot please
johnyrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #147
deezildennis OP
Its a what?

I had my dealer Contact Ssr motorsports and order it for me. I would assume you could contact ssr and they could sell you one.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #148
drseventies
n00b

Many thanks to Deezil and the rest for some great info and thought provoking opinions in this thread. Thanks to you guys I'm switching from scoot/bike research to picking a helmet.

Before I pull the trigger on my Rowdy order, I'm hoping you can tell me a bit about the feel of certain moving parts.

Specifically, does the seat adjustment have any slop or play after it's set? If tolerances are loose and I have to feel and hear things like my seat or footboards shifting and moving it could ruin the whole experience for me.

I don't expect anything like perfection from a $1,500 scoot, but I'd love to know if you've experienced what I can only describe as "slop" in any major "rider to bike" contact points.

My nearest dealer is a couple hours away, wants $2000 + tax and has been exceptionally useless on product info, so I'll be ordering from http://www.ssrpitbikesusa.com/SSR-Rowdy-150.html and planning to be completely on my own in PDI, maintenance and repairs for my scoot.

Also, aside from the 13" diameter, I've yet to find any mention of wheel/tire size. What are my tire options for this thing?

Again, thanks so much for all the information.
drseventies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:01 AM   #149
deezildennis OP
Its a what?

No shifting Or slop of the sort. The bike is solid and I have stood up on the floor boards several times. I hear that there are some tabs that can be compromised on the seat pan if it isn't replaced properly so take care with that if you remove the seat.

The duro tires that are on mine have been fantastic.

The ride is stiffer compared to my rolling couch helix but I love it
Handles going off the beaten path a little better.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #150
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
I second the tires. I have almost 2000 miles on mine and they show no obvious wear. The lower speeds this thing cruises at, surely helps there.

Seat is good...but WATCH REMOVING AND REINSTALLING THE SEAT BOTTOM. Plastic tabs in the back; you have to have them hooked and you won't notice it if you don't - until you hear them break and feel the seat shift.

On the up side of that, my seat has held fine with both the tabs broken, only the forward latch holding it to the assembly.

Tire options: No clue. BUT...the Big Ruckus tires will NOT work. The BR uses smaller rims and doughier tires.

Final word: Depending on which batch you have, you may or may not have a tachometer. And you may or may not have an overspeed indicator - mine has both. The tendency is to get into the gearing and make it so you can run wide open without overrevving the engine and gain a little top speed.

I'd recommend not. The Chinese gy-6 engines are not that overly rugged; I think that's why they're geared as they are. When you cruise at the redline, about 54 mph indicated, 45 actual...you're nowhere near wide-open throttle. If you set it up to where you can open it wide without bumping the redline...you'll lose power on hills; but you'll probably burn out the engine fast.

Leave it be - accept it for what it is. It's a 21st-Century minibike, not a road racer. It can handle 80 percent of your needs, and if you take the time to find the less-traveled roads, you can use it for quite a few purposes. I've commuted 30 miles to work on it, because I don't want to trash my better bikes in the hellish site where I work...soft sand, mud, flying dust.

Have fun. Just be sure to change ALL fluids, engine and rear end, RIGHT AT ASSEMBLY and again at 300 miles.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote