Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #181
ronnath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezildennis View Post
I'm not sure if Anyone is really looking at the thread anymore. The Forum does not seem to be as friendly towards China bikes in the last year or so but I am going to post anyway since I promised to Update the thread..

Nay, DZD, been following since you first posted.

I've always had a hard-on for the original BR but they're so fuggin rare i gave up ever finding one without spending my kid's inheritance.

have stayed with this thread in the hope there may be an alternative.

please keep the thread going.
ronnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #182
drseventies
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Much Appreciated

Dennis, you keep talking about the poor reception of your thread. I, for one, have found it invaluable. I'm broke and can't seem to keep my Pontiac running for more than a couple months at a time so I'm going to buy a Chuck (Chinese Ruck'... get it?) for primary transportation.

Thank you very much for the updates. I wouldn't have taken the plunge otherwise.
drseventies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #183
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by drseventies View Post
Dennis, you keep talking about the poor reception of your thread. I, for one, have found it invaluable. I'm broke and can't seem to keep my Pontiac running for more than a couple months at a time so I'm going to buy a Chuck (Chinese Ruck'... get it?) for primary transportation.

Thank you very much for the updates. I wouldn't have taken the plunge otherwise.
If I can jump in here...

There are plenty of good reasons to buy a RowdyRuck, or any other Chinese scoot.

Needing reliable transportation, is not, repeat NOT one of them.

I'm serious. As serious as a heart attack. You can get a used Burgman or Honda for just a little more than a new Znen; and what you get is - unless it's been beaten to scrap - something more reliable; something you can get parts and service data for.

Once you have the transportation thingy beat...you can branch out. But you never know when one of those Chinese things are going to fail; or what it will be.

I have two. I know. One, not the RowdyRuck, had a failure under warranty. It took NINE MONTHS to get the right parts and service data; it was so bad the shop (an honest dealer) gave up his franchise on that line.

You don't need that. A Chinese scoot is for playing with.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #184
Gigglingoth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Well, Im the type of person that does a ton of research before purchasing anything. Most of the Rowdy owners I've been lucky enough to have contact with have more praise than complaints about this scooter. That, for me, speaks volumes. All use it as a daily ride for one reason or another. Mine, I'm happy to say, has now been paid off and i am just waiting to hear when i can pick it up. Everyone has or has heard of horror stories with EVERY make and model of scooter not just Chinese made ones. I can appreciate everyones opinions but until you own that specific bike......
Dennis's posts have helped in a massive way when it comes to the purchase of my Rowdy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
Gigglingoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #185
deezildennis OP
Its a what?

Oddometer: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
If I can jump in here...

I have two. I know. One, not the RowdyRuck, had a failure under warranty. It took NINE MONTHS to get the right parts and service data; it was so bad the shop (an honest dealer) gave up his franchise on that line.

You don't need that. A Chinese scoot is for playing with.
After 2 years of daily riding warm or cold ....Im starting to play with mine

I will say is my Dealer fixed mine with parts he had in stock and then SSR replaced them. He said the parts came in from SSR in under a week. He still sells SSRs because of the fast turn around on parts and the decent quality of the actual scooters. When I ordered my replacement seat through him from ssr it came in in under a week. same for my spare Fuel pump, cdi, air filter....

I was very close to ordering a znen 250 L through him after my Helix started giving me fits.

Throughout this whole thread I have stressed that if you get a Chinese Scooter or motorcycle you really need to purchase it from a brick and mortar dealer that can service and supply parts for it.

If you fall for the $1000 drop ship China scoot you are in for a big surprise.

Mine is a ZNEN Ruckus clone. There are a few different Chinese manufactures making these so potential buyers need to remember that.
SSR Supplies ZNEN manufactured BigRuckus clones.
deezildennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #186
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
After 2 years of daily riding warm or cold ....Im starting to play with mine

I will say is my Dealer fixed mine with parts he had in stock and then SSR replaced them. He said the parts came in from SSR in under a week. He still sells SSRs because of the fast turn around on parts and the decent quality of the actual scooters. When I ordered my replacement seat through him from ssr it came in in under a week. same for my spare Fuel pump, cdi, air filter....

I was very close to ordering a znen 250 L through him after my Helix started giving me fits.

Throughout this whole thread I have stressed that if you get a Chinese Scooter or motorcycle you really need to purchase it from a brick and mortar dealer that can service and supply parts for it.

If you fall for the $1000 drop ship China scoot you are in for a big surprise.

Mine is a ZNEN Ruckus clone. There are a few different Chinese manufactures making these so potential buyers need to remember that.
SSR Supplies ZNEN manufactured BigRuckus clones.
I think Znen is the only manufacturer. There's a number of retailers/middlemen who brand them; but it all seems to come down to Znen. And they all have the same gy-6 150 in there.

I haven't had any trouble with the Rowdy, either...ridden about 1200 miles. No, I take that back...it got manhandled when I wasn't around, long story, and yes, my fault...but I had the steering locked and it had to be moved.

When I got to it...the kick starter return spring was broken. How'd that happen? I have no clue; I don't think it was dumped in the shuffle.

Thing of it is, though...I used that kick-starter a LOT; because the charger on the Rowdy was marginal. If it didn't start right up, the battery wouldn't do it. I went through two batteries before giving up, and starting it cold with the kick.

Now...I have to rip into it. And I don't have a shop. File it away in the job jar...the Rowdy won't see much action this busy summer.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #187
deezildennis OP
Its a what?

I have a decent little charger I got 30 years ago from my parents for a Dirt bike I had...still have.. I got a quick disconnect wired in straight to the battery. When I can the Rowdy is plugged into it and it keeps it maintained.

I cant say I have ever had any issues with the charging system other than the Junk China Battery shooting craps. I've rode over a Hundred miles before in the dark dodging dear and the charging system kept up. But I'm sure it would be taxed with a junk battery.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #188
GeeGusKahn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Dennis
great thread.
thanks

Sent from my Trash 80 on 300 baud dial up.
GeeGusKahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:50 AM   #189
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Back to the scoot!

He is some pics I got for everyone the other day at the park when I got the bike back from the shop. It has been running great since the sparkplug incendent. I have been running the bike with the side panels off.... I kinda like it.

BTW Mom is on her way to making a good recovery.

Replace all side panels with red diamond plate!
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:59 AM   #190
deezildennis OP
Its a what?

Why would I do that?
Old 06-05-2013, 05:53 AM   #191
Gigglingoth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Thanks Dennis

Your info has been invaluable to me. I now have my amazing Rowdy and 300 miles later I am absolutely in love. I did have to replace the flasher relay (super easy and cheap) but am also replacing the exhaust-I have a bad baffle. Instead of making a stink about something I planned to eventually replace anyway, I just bought a new ebay special. It's supposed to be here today. I would never have known the correct one to purchase without your help. Thanks again
Gigglingoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:33 AM   #192
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigglingoth View Post
replacing the exhaust . . . bought a new ebay special
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #193
deezildennis OP
Its a what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigglingoth View Post
Your info has been invaluable to me. I now have my amazing Rowdy and 300 miles later I am absolutely in love. I did have to replace the flasher relay (super easy and cheap) but am also replacing the exhaust-I have a bad baffle. Instead of making a stink about something I planned to eventually replace anyway, I just bought a new ebay special. It's supposed to be here today. I would never have known the correct one to purchase without your help. Thanks again

Good luck with your Rowdy. Id still ask the dealer to replace the muffler it is rattling. You may want to sell the bike later with a original exhaust.

Also keep in mind my previously stated modification I had to do to the header pipe in order to make it fit right. This requires cutting it and rewelding the header pipe near the muffler flange.

I can get a better pic of the bracket I made to support the exhaust if you need it.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #194
deezildennis OP
Its a what?

Also start running something to protect against the effects of ethanol if they are using it in your area. The ethanol caused some issues with the carb on my helix. I run it in all the bikes I have now.

And get the factory oil out of it if you haven't already. I'm running fleet oil in mine and have been for a while.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #195
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
I am toying with the idea of getting one of these made by SSR:

http://www.powersportsmax.com/produc...ducts_id/15056

4 speed manual trans, 125cc engine. Would be fun for running around on the street, and some mild off road stuff.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote