Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
great news, glad you are back home!
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #77
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,108
Thanks! Made it home yesterday safe and sound - it's nice to be back.

Hit the starter today just for kicks and she fired right up! What a relief...

The first thing I want to do is replace the nipples on the small fuel pump tank. The ones I put on initially are brass; I used these b/c you can braze them on to steel easily with a very small torch (which is all I have) and they're available at the Home Despot (which is close). Anyway - the fuel leaks a little bit at the inlet for one or both of two reasons: (1) The fuel line is just a little too big, too old, might not even be designed for fuel, or something to that effect and (2) the fuel gets passed the barbs b/c they're not in so great 'a shape anymore. After being heated up a few times, the surface is a little potholed, and not quite smooth, like a quiet country road.

Solutions: New fuel line, BMW adjustable fuel line clamps perhaps (only ones I know of from past experience), and possibly reinstall new barbed nipples - stainless steel. While I was away a co-worker mentioned a sale on an Eastwood Tig welder, plasma cutter, and cart. He had good luck with Eastwood Mig that I got to try out briefly, so I couldn't say no... I've always wanted a Tig, so I figured this was 'a good 'a time as any. Anyway - rambling aside, SS nipples are now a possibility for me - though I'm not sure they're necessary yet.

Down the road - I want - but probably don't really need - to address is the fueling. It's not bad, but it backfires with a closed throttle in deccel sometimes - and the top end is choked out. I'd like to get a power commander in, more air filter (a bigger one or another one...), and a dyno run to customize the map.

Way later, perhaps a big plastic desert tank, a better seat... moab shock couldn't hurt either, right? I figure with the PC, shock, and seat at least there's a little resale there in case the bike explodes (or implodes).

EDIT: Looks like I may have a Sargent and a PC on the way... Last things first.

Krasniewski screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 07:13 PM
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #78
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer: 3,974
Sounds great...

I am in need of some brazing for a project I am working on as well- what kind of torch did you use? I tried a MAPP gas torch and it just wasn't happening.. I am looking at possibly going with oxy-propane...
JAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #79
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
Sounds great...

I am in need of some brazing for a project I am working on as well- what kind of torch did you use? I tried a MAPP gas torch and it just wasn't happening.. I am looking at possibly going with oxy-propane...

I have a little two-bottle setup from Lowe's or Home Depot and a Oxy-Mapp pairing works out well for thin steel - plenty hot. The only problem is that the oxygen bottles don't last for shit and the "regulator" isn't great, but it serves its purpose on small jobs and the price is right, so I don't regret it. It's been in use for a decade.

Torch welding and brazing is by far my favorite, and I would love a nice oxy-acetylene setup... maybe one day.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #80
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Didn't replace the nipples, and the BMW clamps were too big, but new fuel line and it looks ok for now. The bad news is that leak was actually from the tank. Speaking of brazing, I brazed up the right side of the tank after cutting off a little bit of the tank for clearance (long ago), and there's a pinhole I need to fix. The hole must have filled up with flux, b/c I didn't notice the leak when I left... I'm guessing the flux got eaten away by the gas over time and now leaks quite a bit. A nice, new, big plastic tank sounds nice right about now, but I'm worried about clearance again... I spent a bit of time beating in the stock metal tank to make her work.

The only thing that sucks is having to flush the tank, then either let it dry or keep draining out water.

On the plus side, I tried out the Tig today for a quick minute - so fun! Nice to have new toys.

I have a Power Commander ready for install, but I need to find someone who can put this beast on a Dyno and set her up for me (after I sort the whole fuel leak thing).
Old 08-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #81
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Sounds like you've got things under control. I am interested in finding out how you flush the tank for welding on it...

I scored two fullsize bottles today- one oxygen and one acetylene.. for $0. Gotta love craigslist, the guy just wanted them gone. Now I need to get regulators and flashback arrestors.... and learn how to use my torch without blowing myself up!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #82
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

I have been filling up the tank with water and dish soap, mixing her up, then flushing with water a couple times. I then do the work, fill her up with gas, let her sit, drain remaining water, ride bike, then drain after she sits again.

Today I was in no mood since I could do the repair right there w/o taking the tank off, so I drained the tank and hooked up the shop vac to blow air through the tank for an hour or so. I had to do this twice, as a second pinhole reared its ugly head after I filled the first... or filling the first caused the second one (doubt it); the second time around I'm pretty sure I didn't get all the gas out and I almost killed myself - don't recommend this method unless you have A LOT of time to air that tank out and a shop vac that won't shit the bed running constantly like that.

Anyway, hopefully I don't wake up to a garage full of gas - I'd like to move on to other things. I did take her out around the block real quick and she rides better than I could have ever hoped for... first ride in eight months too! Man I've missed that. If I have time, I may throw on the PC3 tomorrow and see what that does. I can try to play around with the settings based on the butt dyno for now, but I really want to hand her over to a pro.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #83
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
I scored two fullsize bottles today- one oxygen and one acetylene.. for $0. Gotta love craigslist.up!

That's awesome. Color me jealous. I bought some stuff to get the tig up and running a couple of days ago and the guy gave me a deal on some stuff - but I'm pretty sure it was out of pity since I asked him A LOT of retarded questions. Tragically, he did not offer me a free tank.

Congrats on the score. Check out YouTube if you're interested in free lessons - nothing you can't learn on the internet nowadays.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #84
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Yeah, youtube is how I taught myself to MIG weld. Not saying I'm ready to weld up coolant pipes for a reactor, but my welds are holding the suspension I built for my cage together just fine...

I am growing concerned about having a huge bottle of acetylene in my back shed, though. Got any sources to recommend for acetylene shop safety? I understand it's pretty much the most unstable (read: explosive) fuel to have just sitting around. 1% saturation of an area can result in an explosion, apparently. Not fun..
Old 08-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #85
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Idk - never seemed like a big deal to me. Like with anything else gas-fueled, keep the bottle closed when not in use and make sure it's secure and not subject to lots of temperature variations.

I'd ask the question HERE.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #86
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Ok, got the Power Commander in... just romped around the neighborhood, but loved the results. I bought the PC used, so no CD and no USB cable, so I have no idea what map is on there, but it's definitely an improvement, but certainly there's room for more. I've been told that Lee's Cycle Service here in San Diego is the place to go, so I can't wait to hand them the keys and make her right.

Before the bike was garaged, I was considering gearing the bike up since first gear is pretty steep and I could stand to drop the RPM at highway speed. Now, with the boosted performance, I'm definitely going to play with the gearing. I'll start with one tooth on the front sprocket. EDIT: Counted, and I'm sitting on a 14T front - looks like 15 teeth was stock, so this was geared down - makes sense. Going back to stock!

Also - the gas tank seems to be holding up well. While I was doing the PC install I took out the dremel and cleaned up a couple of welds. Some of those things are just embarrassing.

Lovin' this ride so much I've got a new Ricor rear shock on her way.

Oh, and bought some insurance. Gotta start riding this beast.

Krasniewski screwed with this post 08-09-2012 at 06:11 PM
Old 08-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #87
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Got to work today and more leaking fuel out of the nipple area on the aux tank - so more practice brazing today over lunch - more pinholes to fill! A buddy came with and got to learn and try out some brazing for himself - always fun!

SS nipples are a better idea yet, but hopefully this holds up as I don't feel like hunting around for some and redoing all my hard work. Also not a bad idea would be some coating that will fill up the pinholes and prevented corrosion. I asked once at an Autozone about a tank coating/liner, and they told me that it doesn't exist b/c tanks don't rust due to the fuel displacing water (so just keep you tank full at all times?). I should have looked harder.

Now on the short list is a new front tire (not THAT bad yet, but I think it's the stock Death Wing - cupped, cracked, and low on tread - but it's a KLR, so prob good as long as the chords aren't showing). Also, not that I need it now, I noticed that I don't have heated grips - how did that happen? Warm gloves and hand-guards are OK, but heated grips are a cheap and awesome add-on on the long days.

EDIT: Enduro 3 front tire and front sprocket on order.

Krasniewski screwed with this post 08-09-2012 at 06:10 PM
Old 08-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #88
KLRsys
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
I used Kreem in my pump tank, not for leaks but for corrosion protection. But I'm sure it would be good at sealing pinhole leaks. I first saw your project last October, glad to see you back at it.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #89
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRsys View Post
I used Kreem in my pump tank, not for leaks but for corrosion protection. But I'm sure it would be good at sealing pinhole leaks. I first saw your project last October, glad to see you back at it.
Thanks for the info! Followed your link in the sig to your build - very impressive.

In other news - I have an appt on Tuesday to get my bike Dyno'd - can't wait for that.

Even better news is I found the old build pics I thought I had lost! Of course, I was looking for some other pics, which seem to have disappeared. I'll post them now. Sorry - they're WAY overdue!

The two shall merge...

A truly naked bike.

The two engines, side by side.

Two rolling chassisessesees, side by side.

One in front of the other:

And again:

08+ KLR radiator (on bike) and Ninja rad hanging next door. Almost the same size, but bigger fan on the EX. Also, the KLR mounts vertically, where the Ninja's is horizontally.

OK, so the EX650 motor fits in the KLR, but doesn't work out for a number of reasons.

So I do the bare minimum to make her fit:

And the rest is history.

Other build pics are on page 2...
Old 08-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #90
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,861
Hve you done anything about your front down tubes yet.
I and i'm sure a lot others would sleep easier once you get some better ones fabbed up and welded in properly.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote