Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #106
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,470
WOW! You guys even have me second guessing my build. Part of my plan was to install heavier wall tubing into the downtube and backbone tube on my KLR frame. Honestly, I have always felt that those areas needed to be strengthened as they have been prone to failure. I still feel that it would be better to install the Versys engine into a stock KLR frame. The engine would obviously need to be trimmed in certain areas.
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #107
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post
WOW! You guys even have me second guessing my build. Part of my plan was to install heavier wall tubing into the downtube and backbone tube on my KLR frame. Honestly, I have always felt that those areas needed to be strengthened as they have been prone to failure. I still feel that it would be better to install the Versys engine into a stock KLR frame. The engine would obviously need to be trimmed in certain areas.

Well - I certainly think that intended use has a lot to do with it... but don't think it would hurt to reinforce the spine - that's for sure.
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #108
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
Thumb reinforcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post
No worries. You can do it!
It isn't rocket science.
You just have to do it right.
Anyone can build an airplane. A homebuilt aircraft is not complex or difficult.
One advantage of building an airplane is that the builder recognizes from the start that his/her life is at risk every time he uses it.
And maybe the life of passengers too.
Regular inspections are required during construction to make sure his work is acceptable.

Super Rio was done right.
Don't cut corners and settle for "good enough" and it will be safe and strong.
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #109
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer: 3,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
No worries. You can do it!
It isn't rocket science.
You just have to do it right...
Don't cut corners and settle for "good enough" and it will be safe and strong.
I'm wrapping up a very extensive build of my truck that's followed this same mindset. This is why what I expected to take 3 months has taken just over a year... my plan had to be changed when I realized my brakes were going to be sorely lacking.

Sent from my MB886 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
JAFO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #110
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasniewski View Post
Anyway, front sprocket nut is stuck on - not a left hand thread from what I've read. Washer is flat, used a pneumatic impact wrench (could use more air pressure - my compressor sucks), soaked in WD40. I think the previous owner used a lot of permanent strength loc-tite... I applied a bit of heat to the nut as well, but that may have been a bad idea...
that's a standard right hand thread, please, no heat.

1 1/16 impact socket, not 27mm, lock the sprocket off against the swingarm with an old 3/8 socket in the correct length (or steel pipe nipple), breaker bar with a cheater and pop it loose...and it will pop when it lets go.

no thread locker from the factory, it takes in excess of 300# of torque to loosen.

do NOT have the transmission in gear.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #111
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
that's a standard right hand thread, please, no heat.

1 1/16 impact socket, not 27mm, lock the sprocket off against the swingarm with an old 3/8 socket in the correct length (or steel pipe nipple), breaker bar with a cheater and pop it loose...and it will pop when it lets go.

no thread locker from the factory, it takes in excess of 300# of torque to loosen.

do NOT have the transmission in gear.

Awesome - thanks for the info! I'll give her a whirl in a bit.

The sprocket is smaller than stock, that's the reason I thought it may be loctiteededed - previous owner had played with it.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #112
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

OK, thanks to JD for the tip - new sprocket is in!

Big difference - pretty much what I was looking for.

Bike is now very rideable at all legal speeds. Last week I took the laptop out to the bike and hooked the Power Commander up. I leaned out the very top end so that now it revs through *almost* the entire rev range smoothly, leaned out a little bit of the mid range, but mostly just smoothed out the transitions. End result is buttery smoothidity.

Went out to Julian today with a couple of guys and hit up a couple hundred of some back country roads. EDIT: New seat was realllly nice to have. =)

A couple hundred miles and I have three more things to add to the list: make mirrors match (one broke, used some random other one that was laying around - the stock ones blow donkey chunks), beef up tail light mounting, and shield the air filter from all the junk the rear wheel kicks up.

Also, picked up a new project bike yesterday.

Krasniewski screwed with this post 08-20-2012 at 05:21 PM
Old 08-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #113
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,620
Great! Get that new project bike all done up so I can buy the KLRE from you! Thanks

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #114
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Ok, hit up the taillight mount today.

Old - thin, flimsy stock plastic cut up to fit. My bad for doing it in a hurry the first time.

New, angle-aluminum for stability:

The hard bag mounts flex a bit too, maybe those will be redesigned someday.

I was going to redo the whole mount for license plate too, so I bought some alu, then changed my mind when I got home and used what I already had. BUT - I did get sick of not having the right tools for even basic stuff. In light of so much garage work recently, and my next bike being another project instead of a nice, new power machine, I felt entitled to a drill press and a band saw. Home Depot has really gone down the shitter in terms of tools here - they didn't even have a metal cutting band for the only size band saw they sell due to switching suppliers. Whatever, they give me a 10% discount, so I'll deal with it and go back later or pick up the right blade elsewhere. Point is - I'm stoked.

Put it together and hooked it up, and it's certainly not top quality, but I think they'll do just fine.

I still need to figure out a way to protect the air filter. I need a rear hugger or a sheet of plastic or alu - I could have picked that up today... I need to start carrying a note pad or at least using a shopping list.

EDIT: I really need to build or buy a work bench.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #115
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Add to the 'to do' list - make a new rear brake lever and bleed the rear brake. It's OK but feeling a bit weak. Also, hook up the horn. Two little things I keep forgetting about.

Just writing it down here so I remember...
Old 08-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #116
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Hey Kras...

Are you in base housing at NASNI ? I was there a long time ago and the pix from your garage looked like a place I lived before.

How many traps ? I retired w 700 in the A6.
Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #117
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwardbound View Post
Hey Kras...

Are you in base housing at NASNI ? I was there a long time ago and the pix from your garage looked like a place I lived before.

How many traps ? I retired w 700 in the A6.

Heyo - not on base - just a rental out in town.

Less than 80 traps in my books - just startin' out and the traps don't come fast in the COD being day only and multipiloted.
700 ain't too shabby though! It's certainly something to aim for.

Back off leave today - I'm hoping to work on the new tank a bit as well. Also, the Ricor shock came in, but it's labeled as needing two washers for model year up to 2007 - so I'll have to call tomorrow and see if she needs to be sent back or if I just skip the washers for 08+... hopefully the latter. EDIT: Shock is good to go - just wiithout the washers.

On an unrelated note - I got two pairs of gloves in while I was away on some vacay! That makes me happy - got a great deal on some almost new SP3's and bought some new Cortech dirt gloves for the heat. Both will replace the same models that have been used and abused to utter ruin. The SP3's lasted for a LONG time - those were goat skin IIRC, these don't seem as sturdy, but the price was right. =)

Krasniewski screwed with this post 08-30-2012 at 09:42 AM
Old 08-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #118
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Ok, got the horn hooked up and a new fuse in, but the horn sucks. Not sure where I got it, but I need a new one. this thing sounds like it's covered in a wet sock... like a bus's brakes... like a sick goose. It's horrible.

I had one KLR mirror and one Ducati Monster mirror before. The other Monster mirror was reverse treaded, so I cut off the threads and got to commission my tig for her first legit use. Simple stuff, just weld on threads from a bolt with standard twist.

Got my new tank tig'd up as well. 95% of the job was cake, then the last little bit is always a kick in the nuts, especially since I'm not so good with the welder. Anyway, holds gas, looks a bit better than my other botch job. It's not as good as would have liked, but them's the brakes.

Shock is up next for install. I also found the factory plastic bash guard - I might hack that up for some air filter protection. I like the size and plastic type - I'm thinking cut to size, punch some holes, and zip tie to the sub-frame and call it a day.

I also want to sweeten up the fuel map a little bit...
Old 08-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #119
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Put the new shock in + little guard for the air cleaner =

Travesty of a tank: See and compare to pic above to see how much tank I cut off.

After some thought, I decided that my filler rod was far too thick. A pro could probably hack it, but it's more than my simple mind can handle. Actually, I knew it right away, but what are you going to do, stop and go the store? No. You just fuck away the project over your obstinance. Lesson learned, buy thinner rod and feed faster. The real tragedy of it all is that I got sunburn, and I think it's from welding. If you think welding in short sleeves is dumb, you should see my heel since I was also welding in flip-flops.

The real awesome mod today was wiping the windscreen clean.

To add to the list - my grips are loose. I usually use friction tape and gasoline to set them in place. Now would be a good time to order some heated grips or elements to go under the grips.

And finally - excuse the picture if it's wonky - I can't figure out how to keep it upright.

Edited for no reason.

Krasniewski screwed with this post 08-31-2012 at 07:27 PM
Old 09-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #120
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Out of town for a bit for some school.

Got bored and ordered some steel braided brake lines. That will give me something to look forward to in regards to the bike.