User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2014, 06:53 AM   #1
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
2014 Yamaha FZ-09 First Ride Review

So last night at 7:00pm I picked up a brand new FZ-09 Yamaha. I thought I would take some time and give my $0.02 on the bike. First, a bit about me. My name is Grant and I buy a lot of bikes. (Hello Grant). I am 35 and weigh 195 geared up. I have been riding for quite a while and am a competitive off road racer but not on the street at all. I ride the road mostly to commute about 20,000 miles a year. I am very picky when it comes to the details and I expect quite a lot from my bikes. With that said, I try not to just regurgitate other's reviews when reviewing a bike. So often I feel like if you read one review you have read them all as so many just mimic each other. Now onto the bike.

As you can see I bought the orange one. It is my opinion that this is the best color lol. No, in all seriousness, it looks amazing. If you didn't know, we were not supposed to have this color scheme in the USA but we got it . First things first. I paid $8230 with TTL. So if you have a complaint about the bike you are an asshat! There is no better deal in the market at this time. Sure things could be better but damn it is cheap!!! Really there is only one thing that I really want to change about the bike that is more than just "I don't like the turn signals". That is, the stock suspension does not remotely keep up with the engine's performance. You can adjust the preload and the rebound but no matter what it feels wallowy and harsh and the same time. It is an odd feel that needs addressing right off the bat. The good news is that the rear shock from the ZX10 2008-2010 fits and can be had all day long for $75 on ebay. As far as the fronts go.....I'm not too sure about that cheap fix yet but we will come up with something. I will say that on smooth roads the bike handles very well and turns in easy. It holds lines well and I have only had it up to 90mph but it was stable.
On to the fun part! Damn this engine! It is the smoothest running engine I have ridden. It is absolutely amazing. If you need more power you are one hell of a rider. If you need it smoother, your gonna have to buy a bike from Barry White himself. This thing just has so much controllable power. You couldn't ask for more. I have only ridden the bike in STD mode but I found it to be smooth and perfect for my type of riding. I will say that I have yet to break 7K RPM so remember that I am still in break in.
The fit and finish of the bike is unparalleled for the money. I just can't believe the bike only cost what it does.
The gauge is perfect. It shows everything that that I can think of other than tire pressure. The paint is beautiful. It has a nice sporty 180 rear tire that from the feel of the engine, is needed. The only thing cheap looking I can find on the bike is; seat cover, turn signals, clutch lever. That is it.
So far I love this bike. In the near future I will write a Duke 690 Vs FZ09 comparison.

ggamster screwed with this post 04-22-2014 at 07:18 AM
ggamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:16 AM   #2
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
hi grant
Old 04-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
cccolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 929
maybe ask Traxxion if they upgrade the forks on these yet. my fz1 got a traxxion redo and it was about 3 bills for the front, if i remember correctly. stock valving, though.
cccolin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #4
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Why didn't you post this on the FZ-09 thread? We really only want to have to look one place for cool info on this new bike!

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 603
Damn...

I was unhappy about this bike when they first announced it. All that talk of the "dark side of Japan"... When it came out and it was announced to be an 850cc bike, I was disappointed. I am a dummy who likes big stupid powerful bikes. I thought that the 850cc wasn't up to the task of propelling this bike properly. At least I thought that the "dark side" claims would fall short with a sub liter sized motor...

Every review of this bike has me eating my words. People seem to be thrilled with the bikes accerelative abilities. I'm glad that they went with the smaller motor, and made efforts to keep the weight down.

At this point, this bike is right up there towards the top of the list for my next ride. It seems like such a great do it all machine. I absolutely love how light it is! Yamaha has certainly knocked it out of the park with this machine! Thank you, sir for your review! Thank you, Yamaha, for making me eat my words! And, keep em' coming.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Seems to me one of the suspension gurus....(Cogent, or whomever) would have a turn key solution for the suspension issue....I don't want to have to fiddle and guess what may work on a new bike. If Yamaha would offer a abs/ higher end suspension they'd sell too IMHO..until then the aftermarket is all we have. Somebody needs to step up!
trapperj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
soggysandwich
Banned

Oddometer: 204
Grant says " So if you have a complaint about the bike you are an asshat!"

Really Grant?
soggysandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:17 PM   #8
fishheadAZ
SV haver

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
Seems to me one of the suspension gurus....(Cogent, or whomever) would have a turn key solution for the suspension issue....I don't want to have to fiddle and guess what may work on a new bike. If Yamaha would offer a abs/ higher end suspension they'd sell too IMHO..until then the aftermarket is all we have. Somebody needs to step up!

Penske has shocks and gp suspension has drop in valve stacks or replacement cartridges. Nick @ stoltec moto has been working with Penske and gp for a while now to develop these bits.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:34 AM   #9
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
this motorcycle sounds really good, thanks for the little write up

this motorcycle and the upcoming FZ7 leave me wondering what the hell the FZ6R is doing around? i know Yamaha has added a "0" to the line up, but its still the same line up. different engine? big deal they do what motorcycles do

why kill off the FZ6 in the line up (in the States) and replace it with what all agree is s good bike, but inferior to the FZ6 nonetheless

i mean, which bike doesn't go with the other? this is an easy game!

DudeClone screwed with this post 04-23-2014 at 12:41 AM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:46 AM   #10
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Rear Shock

So I have decided to do something about the rear shock right off the bat. I did a lot of reading yesterday (while at work I might add). The ZX10 shock does fit but it has a bit weaker spring than that of the FZ-09. I noticed that the 2008 ZX6R shock has a bit stiffer spring than that of the ZX10. It also has High Speed Comp. I am going to see if I can get that to work. I bought the rear shock for $49.99 shipped. We will see how it goes.

I did another ride last night. I have read the reviews that complain about a snatchy throttle. I have ridden the bike in all three modes and I don't feel much snatchyness. I 'm not saying it couldn't be smoother, I'm just saying I don't think it is anywhere near the issue people are saying it is. When I do my exhaust and send the computer off to Nick I will have it taken care of just because "while your in there" but I would never spend my money just to take care of that very minor thing.

I love the engine! It is so much fun. I can't wait to hear it run lol (read very quite exhaust)
Old 04-23-2014, 07:03 AM   #11
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
Why didn't you post this on the FZ-09 thread? We really only want to have to look one place for cool info on this new bike!
Because I hate "MEGATHREADS"

Try to find something in the WR250R thread. It is 3000 pages of conversation. Some of which is very valuable others are conversations about how cool someones stickers are. While I am not slamming complements (I love giving and receiving them) I do find it very hard to find much information when I am trying to find something in 3000 pages of 2000 random posters comments.

If you would like to post a link to this review in the FZ-09 thread that would be great. That way if people want to hear what I have to say they can click on the link and read.

Thanks and have a great day

Grant
Old 04-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #12
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Orange is the best looking option, and I'm sure that the Orange flake is worth at least 4 hp.
Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #13
Mudboot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Laugh Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarbronco View Post
Orange is the best looking option, and I'm sure that the Orange flake is worth at least 4 hp.
Grant, orange is gorgeous ! Let us know you suspension trials...
Mudboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:10 AM   #14
DustyRags
Idiot

Oddometer: 568
Awesome, another contender for three next bike here. Would love to see the comparison between this and the Duke!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
DustyRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #15
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Thanks for the write-up.

I would love to take one of these out then get on a Triumph Street Triple R (ride them back to back) and find out why the Street Triple got better press reviews in the shoot-outs between the two.

I doubt one could go wrong with either...