Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #31
MSrider
Rebel with a sixfiddy

Oddometer: 4,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie View Post
Looks like you got the '03 engine case . . . no peeling!
What was the issue with the case peeling after '03?
Old 08-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #32
OrangeOkie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSrider View Post
What was the issue with the case peeling after '03?
'01 and '02 cases had warranty recall for black painted cases that peeled. Paint was a dull flat black Nude's case appears to be a shinier, non peeling paint that started with MY'03
OrangeOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #33
samadams0824 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Looks like I'll be remaining a Guzzista in spirit for longer than I would prefer.

Nevermind that my current bike has a 20 horsepower advantage on these lovely bikes.

All the insurance companies see is "24 years old.....1100 cc......"sport"...."

Guess I'll get my naked bike kicks somewhere else in the mean time....
samadams0824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #34
MSrider
Rebel with a sixfiddy

Oddometer: 4,271
Quote:
'01 and '02 cases had warranty recall for black painted cases that peeled. Paint was a dull flat black Nude's case appears to be a shinier, non peeling paint that started with MY'03
Ahh, I see. I cleaned my '04 cases last week and now every time I walk past the bike I do a double take. Purty .
Old 08-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #35
Nudemetalz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Only my barrels are peeling. The crankcases are fine, but the cover did blow the gasket out due to paint not being cleaned off the mating surface causing it to lose all oil.

The other thing is the tappet covers are peeling also.
But then again she has 80K on the clock.
Nudemetalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #36
OrangeOkie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSrider View Post
Ahh, I see. I cleaned my '04 cases last week and now every time I walk past the bike I do a double take. Purty .

What did you use to clean your cases?
OrangeOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #37
kaput13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
The fix touted for the peeling paint issue was a genuuiiine Harley spray can engine paint. Worked well too, almost a perfect match once you shaved off the peeling paint. Guzzi owners are a practical bunch and accept help from any quarter apparently...
kaput13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #38
gscott
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Lime Green is the fastest color

Just bought this yesterday, and found this post. All I can say it FUN! But I'm biased. As it turns out I now have the complete 'set' of 2000 MY Guzzis. A black Quota, a pearl white Bassa and this Sport in lime green. I don't know which I'd pick if I could only have one, but I really like the Sport too. This bike has some issues,
(rusty headers, gauges don't work), and it's been an all weather commuter. But never down and has a few nice upgrades, (Stucchi crossover, PCIII) and well maintained by Moto Internation, gearhead owners and it runs strong, pulls like crazy and fits like a well worn glove. Best part, only $2500!

Buy one!

(first picture i've posted, looks like I have wrapping/size issues. Sorry about that!)
Attached Images

gscott screwed with this post 10-08-2011 at 10:00 PM Reason: fessing up for formatting issues
gscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:17 AM   #39
Boxer-lust
Banned

Oddometer: 528
Sam I can understand your sentiment$ with your VFR;expensive to maintain valve$,chain,linked brakes and wheezy engine.
Guzzi's are nice,simplistic and sound nice.
But there is no need for a naked bike yet if the "Sport" causes undue insurance headaches.
Ever thougt of a R1100S ?
Here you can get the best of both worlds !
Parts and a sport-toury riding experience of the VFR and the twin experience,maintenance simplicity of the Guzzi...
You can pick up clean and low mile late models in the 2002-2004 range for as low as $6000...!
Boxer-lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #40
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,309
Twin experience of a Guzzi from a BMW boxer? Not hardly. I've owned both and the feel is definitely not the same. I've nothing against the boxers, but I'll take a Guzzi over them every time. The Guzzi's V-twin just feels and sounds right to me. The boxer, on the other hand, seems pretty bland.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #41
Boxer-lust
Banned

Dave there is no Guzzi that has the top end rush (for a twin) like a R1200S...definately not bland !
The older R1100S is not as exciting but still a little faster than any stock 2 valve Guzzi twin...
With a Staintune exhaust no Guzzi boom but still nice sounding...
Old 10-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #42
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer-lust View Post
Sam I can understand your sentiment$ with your VFR;expensive to maintain valve$,chain,linked brakes and wheezy engine.
Guzzi's are nice,simplistic and sound nice.
But there is no need for a naked bike yet if the "Sport" causes undue insurance headaches.
Ever thougt of a R1100S ?
Here you can get the best of both worlds !
Parts and a sport-toury riding experience of the VFR and the twin experience,maintenance simplicity of the Guzzi...
You can pick up clean and low mile late models in the 2002-2004 range for as low as $6000...!
Jesus dude, give it a rest. Yea, the valve adjustments are easy. So what. How many clutches have you personally replaced on oil head boxers?

I've done two. These photos are from back when I was a BMW fanboi like you are now. I owned 10 of them in 9 years, and only one - that K1200 LT you see in the background of one of the photos - was a solid, reliable motorcycle. The rest of them had a variety of issues, including the clutch replacement in these photos. By the way, this bike had all of 12,000 miles on it when I had to gut it in this manner:

Who gives a shit if a valve adjustment or throttle body sync is easy. When the slave cylinder pukes and takes out the clutch you are going to break the poor college kid's bank with that kind of nonsense.

To the OP, I recommend you keep your VFR until you are able to buy what you really want. And for the record, I owned a 2002 V11 LeMans. Most painful ownership experience of any bike ever, but only because it was so damn fun to ride but was often not rideable. Mine had lots of problems, wound up getting bought back after a long legal battle. You know what's really fucked up about it? I still miss the bike! Without question the best sounding engine of any bike I've ever owned. Absolute sex on two wheels.

I'm pretty sure I'll have another Guzzi one day. They're just too fun not to have one in the garage.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #43
samadams0824 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
bought a buell city cross. /thread
samadams0824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:18 AM   #44
Boxer-lust
Banned

Bueller I'm not a fanboi like you which your name obviously implies...
Of course if you have to change the clutch because a seal leaked a puked on your clutch sucks...
But that is the exeption to the rule.
I replace my slave cylinder at 60K miles.$150 easy and not very expensive preventive maintenance to avoid costly repairs like yours...
I know the name Buell stood for the epidome of reliability...
They were just too reliable and made the other manufacturers look bad...
You owned 10 beemers in 10 years;why?
Wore em out quick riding 100K miles a year...
Which Guzzi or what bike did you buy this year,which one do you get next year...?
Old 10-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #45
Street Hawk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post
Twin experience of a Guzzi from a BMW boxer? Not hardly. I've owned both and the feel is definitely not the same. I've nothing against the boxers, but I'll take a Guzzi over them every time. The Guzzi's V-twin just feels and sounds right to me. The boxer, on the other hand, seems pretty bland.
Having owned a BMW 1200GS and a V11 Sport, I can say they feel very different. I prefer the Guzzi as well and enjoy it more every time I ride it, but I enjoyed the boxer too. Gotta love the character of a twin...