Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #16
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadady View Post
mabey, but that aint Sally Field

Yep, but he's got his drink on and he's thinking about how he would like to inject her with Boniva.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #17
k12lts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
mabey, but that aint Sally Field
k12lts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #18
EsconDeasy
Ectomorph

Oddometer: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post

Yep, but he's got his drink on and he's thinking about how he would like to inject her with Boniva.
....and the way he is fondling her ass in public in directly in keeping with the.....um, social strata of the movie's characters
EsconDeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:43 PM   #19
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,314
Sheriff Buford

"When I get home I'm guna punch your mama in the mouth".

Old 08-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #20
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,750
my favorite movie ever.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #21
Carlo Muro
Supercŕzzola

Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
this is the truck he hauled my scrawny ass in up and down the east coast from the time i was 12 until i got my drivers licens and discovered girls, i bet dad just got done painting it from a deer hit,purchased new in 1977 as a glider kit, (no rears and no engine or trans.

'77 is one of the last ones that say White Freightliner. Just after that they only said Freightliner. I used to love their adds in the trucking mags "The Efficient Machine"

BTW...do they still make glider kits?
Old 08-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #22
Toadady
Push'n parts

Oddometer: 3,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro View Post
'77 is one of the last ones that say White Freightliner. Just after that they only said Freightliner. I used to love their adds in the trucking mags "The Efficient Machine"

BTW...do they still make glider kits?
ya know i have no idea, i haven't heard of one being put together in over 10years, at the time G-Paw ordered his they said it was the most expensive glider kit ever ordered, the axles and trans. came out of the astro and the screamer was brand spanking new.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:25 AM   #23
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,393
So why did Cab overs fall out of favor?
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:57 AM   #24
ADK OP
_____

Oddometer: 8,088
Cab overs were popular when overall truck length was restricted. They ride rougher and which one would you rather be in in a collision, a cab over or a conventional?
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #25
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
Cab overs were popular when overall truck length was restricted. They ride rougher and which one would you rather be in in a collision, a cab over or a conventional?
Would the rough ride still be true on today's cab over's? With air ride suspension, air ride cabs, and air ride seats I would think it'd be smooth. I know they are big in Europe, but I suspect that has more to do with the tight roads over there.

As far as collision goes I can't see that it would make any difference unless you hit head on with another truck. Most of the time I would think an accident would involve a normal cage which is going to hit really low on the truck, low enough that the bumper would take care of things.
McNeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #26
ADK OP
_____

Oddometer: 8,088
I'm no expert but I think all that air ride stuff has been around for quite some time. I wonder if class 8 (big rigs) has safety standards?
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #27
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012

Old 08-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #28
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
So why did Cab overs fall out of favor?

Even with the air ride suspension, cabs, and seats those things are just rough riders. You are basically sitting over the front axle, and any movement it transferred to you in an upward motion.

Also limited interior room with a doghouse between the seats.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #29
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,214
The Freightliner Argosy wasn't too bad a ride. Well layed out and had some very nice features. Unfortunately, while it was intended for fleet use, it was too late to be of any interest, as cab-overs were relegated to histoy for the most part by the time it came around and most companies preferred the conventionals for ease of maintenance..

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:29 AM   #30
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload View Post
The Freightliner Argosy wasn't too bad a ride. Well layed out and had some very nice features. Unfortunately, while it was intended for fleet use, it was too late to be of any interest, as cab-overs were relegated to histoy for the most part by the time it came around and most companies preferred the conventionals for ease of maintenance..
FWIW, as of a year or two ago they were still building Argosy's (in NC, IIRC) and selling them outside the US. And as of just a few years ago, you could still get them as gliders, but it was hard to do for some reason. Not sure about now. I think the EPA has found a way to put an end to that practice, because the only real reason for gliders was so folks could install older drivetrains in new trucks, which is exactly what the EPA doesn't want.

They ride good and they have the best steering cut of any FL, matching that of the Volvo's and PACCAR trucks (but I don't think any of the other FL's do, though maybe they fixed that on the new line of trucks again). As for the collision thing, it's well over-played. We have nose trucks because truckers here like nose trucks better, period (and the length restrictions were eased).

I really wanted an Argosy as the starting point for my big RV, but it just wasn't meant to be as I had to have a two pedal automatic, too, and the last of the US Argosy's were at best autoshifts and were just too long in the tooth to be a starting point for such an expensive RV. So I ate that 6' of space with a Volvo 670 instead. *sigh*

--Donnie

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: