User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,911
82 XL500R merged with a 98 XR400R

Ok a short back story. I got this 82 XL500R two years ago. it smoked and used a lot of oil. I rebuilt that and got her running nice and road it the rest of last year. Well this year i decided it just wasn't right for me. but seeing as I'm broke what can i do. Well here is where the 98 XR400R comes in to play. See I bought it a year ago to rebuild and make a DS out of. Didn't happen.

so here's my two bikes as i started.

first the XL

now the XR

yes that is a whole XR400R in the trunk of a car.

now I've added a few thing to the XL over the last year. i'll walk you through that now. In the rebuild it got a 10.5:1 comp. piston. that caused a bad Ping over half throttle. I dealt with it for a wile it was the first XR400R mod done to the XL500R. See the needle in a XL500R is not adjustable, but the one in the XR is. swap. no more ping, and more low end grunt to boot. WOOT. now a few pics of the other mods over the last year.

First up was a rack from a 85 XR350.

Next up the XR's aftermarket headlight.

started with this.

ended with this.

added a bag from Walmart to the rack

fun in the show.

took a 350 mile trip 2 up with my youngest.

that trip made me decide I needed more storage. So 25 bucks and the army navy store and some fab work from a local shop and we have this.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Now for the last month and a half I've been layed up with my back. I had a disk blow out and had to have surgery. Right before that the front brake on the Old XL started to feel funny. New shoes. Can't find any. And I hate drum brakes anyway. A little looking ad the XR front end will bolt up. Time to swap.

I got started today. The XR lost it's front end.

a few things removed from the XL

This is interesting. Husky parts on a Honda?

at this point it's sitting on my lift. I'll post more pics as I go. I'm off to search the net for a bolt to hold the line on the master cylinder that has a switch in it to work the brake light.

Also I'm looking at putting the swingarm off the XR on the XL. So far it's looking doable. More to come.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

oh and that is the snorkel out of the XL. it's probably getting the XR muffler as well.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

ok. went back out to my shop today and pulled the front end off the Old XL. it's is now ready for the XR front end to be put back on. That will be tomorrow afternoon. I've done today all my back can handle and I need different grease then what I have handy.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
lilsmokey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Looking good!!! Nothing like mixing an old bike with a new one! Oddly enough the XR400 looks like the trunk or a car. Must've been hard to ride. You are going to have quite the bike when your done. To bad the xr didn't have inverted forks. But still it will be a big upgrade. If you put the xr swingarm onto it will you be making a custom mount for pass pegs?

Did the side boxes mount onto the rack? I was planning making boxes like that for my XR500.

Good luck with the project!!! keep us updated!!!
I ride a bullet. A 2 wheeled, multiple-explosion powered machine with enough moving parts to remove entire fingers. Surfaces hot enough to cook flesh. It propels me at neck-breaking, bone-snapping flesh-tearing speeds, over and trough obstacle's I can only see as blurs. Its a sport that kills the careless, maims the best, and spits at the concept of mercy.

lilsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
subscribed ... My first real bike was a new XL500R back in 1982... loved it...
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

the boxes mount with two 1/4 inch bolts. I had a brace welded to the boxes that curves under the bottom about 2 inches and runs most of the length of them. to that there two square rods welded, they are a little less then a inch thick. they slide into two square tubes that are welded to the under side of the rack. The two bolts drop through the tubing and the rod to hold them on. I can take one off and get a pic of it for you if you would like. I have a plain to make a 1 wheeled trailer to pull behind me when i go on a longer trip so I didn't want big boxes on the bike just enough to carry a few extra things along with me. And honestly most inverted forks are a little stiffer then what I want. I was actually really happy with the ride of this bike but the front brake is a nightmare. This swap is truly just to get a disk brake one the front, and the added bones it is bolts right up. Same stem bearings and same dimensions from center of axle to handlebars.

and yes if i do the swing arm swap I'm going to add rear foot pegs to the subframe like newer bikes. I'll also have to make a mount to put the master cylinder on it for the rear brake. and mod the brake peddle to work it.

Oh and i'm also looking into adding the XR4's oil cooler to this bike. I'm 75% sure how to do it I just have to acquire a second clutch cover to do it. I refuse to drill into the stock one. We also put in new clutch plates and springs last week and adjusted the counter balance chain wile we where in there.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:31 PM   #8
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

well my dad came over today and helped me get the triples and the forks on. I got the brake hung. a few pics and a little more info on some other mods that will have to be made for this to work.

first up front view as she sits.

now lets get a little closer and look what's not there. Silver triple is the XR stuff and the black is the Old XL stuff.

I've got to make a bracket that will hold the headlight as well as function as stops as the stops on the XL and XR are in different places.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well i set here talking to a friend about what to do about the turn stops. and it hit me. so back out to the shop to play. this is what I came up with.

oh and I put a few more parts back on her.

This will fix my stops.

and this will mount my speedo and light.

and these two are as she now sits waiting on me to get the brackets cut and a new tire to arrive. i hope to be done with this by next weekend.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:32 PM   #10
Trophy1298
Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer: 5,505
Looks like a fun toy.

BTW, was reading your sig line. If your "upside down" won't people be kissing your feet?
Old 07-31-2011, 04:43 PM   #11
evilbollweevil
HDkila

Oddometer: 1,071
Nice so far get the front finished and ride it...

Life has a smell that the protected and sheltered will never know...
evilbollweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:48 PM   #12
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1298 View Post
Looks like a fun toy.

BTW, was reading your sig line. If your "upside down" won't people be kissing your feet?
no because we don't put people in the ground feet down. we put people in the ground laying on there back. I would know I do it for a living.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:13 PM   #13
luckychucky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 939
Nice 82 XL500R

This is my latest obsession. I wonder if they came off the same assembly line? This one is a UK version. What seat cover do you have? Do you like it?
Attached Images

luckychucky screwed with this post 07-31-2011 at 06:33 PM
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:20 PM   #14
Switchblade315 OP
Beastly Adventurer

That is one clean Old XL. And the seat cover is a ATV seat cover/cushion from Walmart. last time I looked it was like $12.50 they started out as a mossy oak brand now it's going by a brand starting with a S.

and here it is on line as a Colman.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-AT...ector/16777864

and I've done 350+ miles on the bike and that cushion made it possible.

Switchblade315 screwed with this post 07-31-2011 at 07:25 PM
Old 08-01-2011, 04:14 AM   #15
luckychucky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
That is one clean Old XL. And the seat cover is a ATV seat cover/cushion from Walmart. last time I looked it was like $12.50 they started out as a mossy oak brand now it's going by a brand starting with a S.

and here it is on line as a Colman.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-AT...ector/16777864

and I've done 350+ miles on the bike and that cushion made it possible.
Thanks for the reply! Looks good on there and it sounds to be functional. I'll check our Wally-world.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote