Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2011, 11:06 AM   #16
Wingspan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Time to reassemble the engine...

...and at long last reunite it with the frame:

The biggest change to the engine was a new charging/ignition system from Powerdynamo. No more points!

Timed with a dial indicator:

Fresh brake shoes and a new sprocket:

Rearsets from Titan Performance:

The carbs had been sitting on the bench for over a year now, so they were treated to a long soak in Pinesol then a rebuild with larger jets:

I planned on not running a front fender for a while, but came to my senses and again hit up Sean @ Roc City Cafe for one of his fiberglass fenders. I trimmed it to the size I wanted and attached it to the stock fender bracket. The bracket was modified to lower the fender for a closer fit to the tire:

Really starting to look like a motorcycle!

To be continued...
Old 07-31-2011, 01:04 PM   #17
Wingspan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I had reached the part of this project I truly dreaded...wiring. the original harness was in decent shape, but I needed to shorten the handlebar wiring for the clipons and integrate the new Powerdynamo charging/ignition system as well as the Acewell gauge into the bike's existing wiring.

First I made a new mount for the Acewell out of some scrap aluminum and some steel bushings I found in the garage:

Then, with the three schematics for reference i started hooking things up one wire at a time. At this point I was just twisting wires together and hoping that everything worked. I'd make it tidy later:

After I had checked and rechecked everything, I took a deep breath and turned the key...SUCCESS!

I used the smallest LED turn signals I could find:

The tail light is a small round LED unit from Custom Dynamics:

I pulled one of the spark plugs and gave the engine a kick. A nice blue spark was my final reward for a long day of squinting over schematics. I had dreaded the wiring for a long time but in the end it didn't turn out to be a bad job at all.

To be continued...
Old 07-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #18
Wingspan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Turning toward the home stretch! It was finally time to bolt up my new expansion chambers. The chambers are polished stainless steel parts from Titan Performance and I had the stock headers ceramic coated to match. Time to roll her out of the garage again for a few pics:

I was only a few weeks away from Rocker's Reunion at this point so every day counted. I was working 4-5 hours per day during the week and all day on the weekends at this point. Body work was the next task. The oil tank was in perfect condition once I stripped the paint:

The sidecover had several cracks that needed to be repaired. I fixed these with a technique I've had a lot of success with in the past. I welded the cracks with a soldering iron and reenforced the cracked areas from the back with metal mesh from a screen door repair kit.

Reenforced area, lay the screen material on the part and carefully melt it into the plastic with a soldering iron and light pressure:

Crack repair in progress:

When I finished repairing the cracks I prepped all the pieces for primer and paint. I've always wanted a Ducati, but for now I'll just have to settle for the color. I used Ducati red paint from Colorite.

I really liked the stock "500" badges and had always planned on reusing them. They cleaned up well and after a fresh coat of black paint looked like new again:

Almost finished...to be continued...
Old 07-31-2011, 01:37 PM   #19
nukemm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Beautiful!
nukemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:04 PM   #20
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,416
awesome, I recognize so many stages you were going through...great vision too, love the final look.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:07 PM   #21
Wingspan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks.

The paint was still a bit tacky in places when I started final assembly...

Shortening control cables was another skill I had to learn for this project.

Soon it was time to try and bring the old girl back to life. I wish I could tell you that it started on the first kick...but in truth it took 4 or 5.

I still had a week to go until Rocker's Reunion, but there were also a lot of little bugs to work out. Very quickly I discovered that the bike ran like crap with the airbox in place. So a set of pod filters and bigger jets were needed:

Remember these foam air filters...they'll come back to bite me later.

I also still needed a license plate mount, which i made out of a piece of steel:

One of many laps around the neighborhood while messing with the carb settings...Fat man on a little bike!

Next stop...Rocker's Reunion Indy...To be continued...
Old 07-31-2011, 02:15 PM   #22
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,880
Absolutely impressive Well done

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:30 PM   #23
Wingspan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The day of the show came and the forcast was grim. No way was I going to trailer the bike 10 miles to the show though, so off I went. It was the bikes first trip outside of my sub division...no tools...no spares...I was going on faith. I made it to the show with no trouble and backed into line with the other bikes.

But the clouds were forming fast...

and not long after I arrived the rain came...

The weather didn't hamper the turn out though and over the next hour or so more and more bikes arrived and eventually lined both sides of the street for ~3 blocks...

Eventually the rain let up and i thought we might be in the clear. However, the awards ceremony and after party for the show was at another location, on the far side of Indy. By this time my wife had arrived with the car, so I knew I'd have some back up if anything happened. The crowd started to thin as guys left for the afterparty:

The afterparty was a good time. There was food, a band, and another chance to check out a lot of great bikes. However the skies were beginning to look threatening again and the rain was coming fast. The show was put on by the Indy Ton up Club. One of the members came over and asked if I could move my bike to the front. I have to admit, I was pretty excited by the idea that my bike might have won something!

Sure enough, the T500 won "Best Cafe Racer"! I was shocked, there were many nice bikes at the show and I never considered mine to be worthy. The other two bikes in the above pic won Best Scooter and Best Rat Bike.

Just after the awards were handed out the rain came in buckets. Thunder, lightning, and I'm pretty sure I saw animals starting to pair up for their ride in the nearest Ark. When it looked like it might be letting up, I said to the wife, "let's go...try to keep up!".

The rain didn't let up, and I was 40 minutes from home and it was pitch dark by the time I hit the highway. Remember those foam air filters? Yep...soaked with water and I fouled a plug. It was an adventure getting home but after sending the wife on a gas run when I ran empty I eventually made it home on one sputtering cylinder.

The bike was a MESS!

But it was worth it. The Ton Up Club made their own trophies for the event and I must say, I think the award I was given is seriously cool:

Huge thanks to all the members of Ton Up Indy for their hard work in organizing the event. It was a great time and I highly recommend attending!

The next morning I popped in a fresh plug and gave it a kick. She started right up. However, later that day I found a puddle of gas under her and had a stuck float. Oh well, you have to expect some bugs with a project like this but after spending all my spare time for the previous 3 months working on her, it was time for a break. I pulled the carbs, ordered another set of jets to try.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't made much more progress on it since then. I've lapped the neighborhood a few times but I let a ton of things pile up during the time I was trying to finish the bike for RR and I've been busy with other things. We've also been in a bit of a heat wave here in the midwest lately and my garage has not been a fun place to spend time. Very soon though I'll roll it back out and resume the tuning process.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #24
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingspan View Post
Thanks.

The paint was still a bit tacky in places when I started final assembly...

what a cob artist.
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:09 PM   #25
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,940
Wingspan,
Thanks for the great write up and photos. Excellent build and a well deserved neat throphy.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:35 AM   #26
Hammerspur
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Wingspan, great thread and a PRIMO build, many thanks for sharing!

OMG, I'm cringing for ya' lookin' at this:

Time to get out the hose and cleaning supplies.
Hammerspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:08 AM   #27
YZman
Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer: 1,120
Sweet bike. Awsome build. Your vision is spot on. I agree with the previous poster... the after rain shot made me cringe...start re-polishing that aluminum

Oh and I Agree...polishing aluminum sucks!
YZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #28
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,431
Beautiful work! Very clean!

Just curious, are there any plans to clean up a couple very very minor details like the old handlebar mounts?

Or, since I know almost nothing about cafe racers, is this considered to be the right look?

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:36 PM   #29
killfile
49/50

Oddometer: 353
Great summary, Wingspan! Glad you made it to the Show on time and glad they recognized the hardwork that went into that bike!
killfile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #30
Big Steve
Banned

Oddometer: 2,431
Fantastic write up and project.

Even better that you actually ride/rode it, in weather even, bonus points!

Big Steve is offline   Reply With Quote