Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
Christopher Lang OP
Luddite

Oddometer: 44
Dumb question: Can I ride my motorbike to Leechtown (Vancouver Island)

Now, I'm sure this is a dumb question, but there it is. I wanna drive my sidecar machine up to Leechtown. I know I can walk there, but it seems like an interesting destination (I realize that there isn't much there). I took a quick glance at my backroads map and drove out there today, and of course found locked gates on the Boneyard Main road, and from the Pot Holes. It was a nice ride out to Sooke anyway of course.

Is there a way to drive my bike there? Or Somewhere else where I can see rusty broken-down junk after driving down gravel? I can't go around gates, as the bike is 5' 6" wide.

I ask not just 'cause I'm curious, but because I'm gonna sell my Chang, and then I'll be with out a bike for a while, until I get my WLC going and I figured this would be an entertaining little trip.

Thanks in advance ADV'ers.
Christopher Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:29 AM   #2
configurationspace
delooper

Oddometer: 8,597
My backroads mapbook says you should be able to get there if you take the logging road off Sooke hwy, less than 1km after the Humpback rd. exit, when you're heading west. At least, it says there's no gates. I haven't checked it out for myself. This exit is far earlier (further east) than Boneyard or the Sooke Potholes way. Google maps says its called Suyer rd.
configurationspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:52 AM   #3
V@lentino
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Maybe this way but

I have gone with the GSA on the Galloping Goose from the end of the Pot Holes park, although I don't think you are supposed to, this was in the winter and I did not cross path with anyone, I would not recommend doing it this time of the year.

When you get to Leech Town there is only a sign saying it was there and 1 old rusted crane/extractor machine thing, nothing else, really not much to see.

I live in Sooke and would rather ride to East-Sooke anytime over riding up to Leech Town again.

Really nothing there

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
Christopher Lang OP
Luddite

Oddometer: 44
Okay thanks. I see that road by Humpback Rd. If I get a chance to get out there again before my bike sells I'll try it that way. At any rate the 'ol WLC should be on the road by september or so, and I'll give it another go then.

Thanks for your replies.
Christopher Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
00Buck
dirt rules

Oddometer: 196
Unfortunately Leechtown is no longer accessible by motorcycle (legally). A combination of private logging lands and closed CRD water district areas have ended all that. All the roads are gated including the Weeks Lake road from the north side. However, if you can get a prospectors license, access is allowed in some areas.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
Dobs
n00b

Oddometer: 6
If the gates open, isn't it ok to go there?

Noticed the gate was open this past week. I rode my KLR up there to ask someone if I could ride up there. I didn't find anyone, so after taking a rest break (and a bit of a walk around), I dutifully rode back down the boneyard road. I will say, hard to believe 4,000 people once lived there, great feeling to the place. Very cool for me though. Enjoy those roads and respectfully seek out new rides on the southern island.
Dobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #7
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,937
How is that KLR drivers seem to have the best rides and get into the back areas better than anyone else? My hats off to you guys....
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,076
Locked gates are ruining access on Vancouver Island.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 884
locked gates save lives.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #10
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,839
I don't even have a life .........

Uh, wait......

A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #11
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,383
I am glad I moved away from SVI, would miss the old days when we could go just about anywhere and find plenty of garbage illegally dumped and often half burned,wrecked abandoned cars ,mattresses and TVs, propane tanks with bullet holes in them and way too many shotgun shells. Yep been on the Sooke back roads a lot.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #12
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
I am glad I moved away from SVI, would miss the old days when we could go just about anywhere and find plenty of garbage illegally dumped and often half burned,wrecked abandoned cars ,mattresses and TVs, propane tanks with bullet holes in them and way too many shotgun shells. Yep been on the Sooke back roads a lot.

Cool story, glad the Koots is immune to litter.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #13
Dobs
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Divided on the gates...

I understand the need for the gates, I saw enough garbage near the entrance to yet again wonder at those who share the title, "civilized", but for the rest of us who like myself desire to explore with respect... well...

As for KLR's getting there, dunno. I love mine and although she's loaded with kit and sporting a 16T front sprocket, I still manage to be impressed by where I can go.
Dobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #14
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
Cool story, glad the Koots is immune to litter.
Not immune...but not as bad. Mind you I have cleaned up the end of the road here a couple times. A few more tires, I'll have to sneak them in at the dump, not paying for that.

Isn't that why they gated the watershed at Langford? so the kids wouldn't joyride and then dump the junkers in the lake.I seem to remember that...
Old 11-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #15
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobs View Post
As for KLR's getting there, dunno. I love mine and although she's loaded with kit and sporting a 16T front sprocket, I still manage to be impressed by where I can go.
Having just moved over to the Island, I can't believe the amount of KLR's and DR's that I see roaring around. It seems to be the preferred choice around here. They're kind of snobby - they don't wave to anyone but their own kind....
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote