Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #196
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,163
yeah i was looking through the manual when i gt back to see how to adjust it. I'll play with it over the next few weeks. And at 140lbs I don't have the mas for the center stand. i lost 12lbs wile i was down with my back. I've gained 5 back so far.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #197
2wheeldreb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslaw View Post
I cranked the preload up in the shock - stock setting should be good for you (there is a spanner wrench in the tool kit). Center stand is technique, but mass helps (funny, I never had that problem).
Me neither.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:40 AM   #198
tslaw
aged n00b

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeldreb View Post
Me neither.
First time that my extra mass was a good thing
tslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:36 AM   #199
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslaw View Post
First time that my extra mass was a good thing
Have the problem of not being able to gain weight and you'll see how good it is to have a little extra mass.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #200
Trophy1298
Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer: 5,505
For us lightweights, get the bike rolling backwards a bit then step on the centerstand and pull. With a little practice you can do it without using your back at all.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #201
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

yeah it's going to take some getting use to. I haven't owned a bike with a center stand since 98. That was a 86 Honda V35 Magna that tried it's best to kill me.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #202
Trophy1298
Vicarious Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
yeah it's going to take some getting use to. I haven't owned a bike with a center stand since 98. That was a 86 Honda V35 Magna that tried it's best to kill me.
I have an 85 V45 at my sister's house. I keep meaning to bring it home, but I'm already having to play musical bikes to get to anything in the garage.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #203
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

well i had the Old XL out this week and after riding the FZ for a few weeks it was clear something was WAY off with the 500 after the front end swap. I noticed this on my way over to my parents house. So on the way back I decided to ride it hard off road. this showed a few things that I would of never found had I tried to adjust the bike out on the road.

First off every time I would hit the gas hard the rear would squat big time this would try to pull the front end off the ground and cause the front to push big time. Also the forks are ridding at the top of the travel. And I mean the top. The 500 weights more then a XR400 so they should be squatted a little.

Today I went out and cranked the preload down on the rear. I think I was squatting the rear around 2 inches of sag. I did not recheck it because with out a rebound and compression adjustment I have very little control over this shock so with this ajustment I was going for more then just sag.

I started cranking the preload down stoping every two turns to see how it felt. half and inch of threads later and it felt good. The bike was sitting more level felt more like a dirtbike. Yes I stiffened the rear a lot. Time to try it. now before i did this all i could run on my road before it started to wobble was 45. I pulled out and built up speed. 45 nice and strait, 50 still good, 55 nothing odd, 60 ah there it is, wobble. 65 that's scary.

Now for off road. I turn off on our property and head home. fells much more stable, no front end push, ridding much faster. REAR BRAKE SUCKS!!! Need to readjust the front brake lever.

now i still have the ammo cans on the back. The rebound on the rear is to fast on bigger bumps but I can deal with it since I can't adjust it. Something is not right on the forks. There's just to much preload there. I'm going to take them off and see if the springs are shimmed or if there's to much oil in them.

got to have her right before the DFR

Old 09-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #204
evilbollweevil
HDkila

Oddometer: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
yeah i was looking through the manual when i gt back to see how to adjust it. I'll play with it over the next few weeks. And at 140lbs I don't have the mas for the center stand. i lost 12lbs wile i was down with my back. I've gained 5 back so far.
Your girl should be able to put it on the center stand... mass not required, 1 foot and 1 hand can do it but 2 hands is recommended... lol

Life has a smell that the protected and sheltered will never know...
evilbollweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:33 AM   #205
CrashDummy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
Yesterday was the first day Sargent had the Ninja 1000 seats for sale. I got mine ordered with $50 off for preregistering, should be here in a few days I guess. The guy said they were selling like crazy. I said duh, the stock seat sucks.

If you posted a thread on Face Plant that you crashed because an eagle attacked your helmet, you'd get five people saying how you should know better than to paint your helmet _________ and another five who will suggest you should have taken the MSF Eagle Avoidance course. Then another five will say the Eagle Avoidance Course sucks....
CrashDummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:27 AM   #206
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbollweevil View Post
Your girl should be able to put it on the center stand... mass not required, 1 foot and 1 hand can do it but 2 hands is recommended... lol

I've got it figured out now. It had just been a wile,.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:30 AM   #207
Trophy1298
Vicarious Cowboy

Anyone getting the Versys tourer?

Old 09-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #208
vfrgreg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1298 View Post
Anyone getting the Versys tourer?

Needs different wheels(tubeless spoke) and a high mounted exhaust !

R1200RT
vfrgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #209
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashDummy View Post
Yesterday was the first day Sargent had the Ninja 1000 seats for sale. I got mine ordered with $50 off for preregistering, should be here in a few days I guess. The guy said they were selling like crazy. I said duh, the stock seat sucks.

There is suppose to be one in development for the S10 that is if someone would take their bike to Jacksonville for development. That was Sargents request last I read. I want one. Best seat I have now is the Sargent on the DR650. S10 seat is not terrible but not good either. Too much forward slope and the gripper cover is awful.
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #210
CrashDummy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ View Post
There is suppose to be one in development for the S10 that is if someone would take their bike to Jacksonville for development. That was Sargents request last I read. I want one. Best seat I have now is the Sargent on the DR650. S10 seat is not terrible but not good either. Too much forward slope and the gripper cover is awful.
So get on down there
If you posted a thread on Face Plant that you crashed because an eagle attacked your helmet, you'd get five people saying how you should know better than to paint your helmet _________ and another five who will suggest you should have taken the MSF Eagle Avoidance course. Then another five will say the Eagle Avoidance Course sucks....
CrashDummy is offline   Reply With Quote