Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 06:51 AM   #571
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,447
Now you need to make a rear mud guard to protect the shock. I just super glued a heavy duty tube to the battery box & zip tied the bottom to the dog bones. If you decide to screw something to the battery box, then be sure to move stuff out of the way first.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #572
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 4,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Now you need to make a rear mud guard to protect the shock. I just super glued a heavy duty tube to the battery box & zip tied the bottom to the dog bones. If you decide to screw something to the battery box, then be sure to move stuff out of the way first.
Please tell me this is purely a cautionary note and not the voice of experience talking.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #573
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
quoted for reference....
Your welcome and you are the guy who told me T63's go 4500 miles. I can barely get 1500 on a DR650 rear 80% off road. You may get more than 1500 but it won't be quality mileage off road because they will be rounded off and border line bald by then. Plus the triumph has more go than that KLR. Surprisingly my DR literally killed the T63 on the rear in no time.
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #574
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
This reminds me of the guy who was going to mount his tag on the underside of his GSXR rear fender only he drilled the holes right through is ECU in the process.
WERA Expert #826
Old 12-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #575
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ View Post
Your welcome and you are the guy who told me T63's go 4500 miles. I can barely get 1500 on a DR650 rear 80% off road. You may get more than 1500 but it won't be quality mileage off road because they will be rounded off and border line bald by then. Plus the triumph has more go than that KLR. Surprisingly my DR literally killed the T63 on the rear in no time.

The T-63's on my KLR will go 4500 on rear and 9000 on front. Must be the rider or the DR... Guess that is where the "YMMV" variable comes in to play.
backwoodsKLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:43 AM   #576
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The T-63's on my KLR will go 4500 on rear and 9000 on front. Must be the rider or the DR... Guess that is where the "YMMV" variable comes in to play.
I guess so. I am typically easy on tires so maybe that DR had more power than I thought. I have a brand new T63 rear still in plastic that I guess I'll sell since I don't plan on using them anymore. Bikes for sale anyway.
WERA Expert #826
Old 12-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #577
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I guess so. I am typically easy on tires so maybe that DR had more power than I thought. I have a brand new T63 rear still in plastic that I guess I'll sell since I don't plan on using them anymore. Bikes for sale anyway.
Our of curiosity, what PSI were you running on the T63s? I was running them real low at first but found they last much better when around 28-30 instead of 18-25... But I got tired of airing up and down when I transitioned from off road to on road.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #578
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Our of curiosity, what PSI were you running on the T63s? I was running them real low at first but found they last much better when around 28-30 instead of 18-25... But I got tired of airing up and down when I transitioned from off road to on road.
I grew tired of the air up down thing and ran 29-30 rear and 25 front all the time even in CO. Rear gets real hot on pavement for any distance. My rear just evaporated with 250 miles in CO on it and the rest locally. At 1500 it's pretty much gone for off road on pavement it's still ok but going quick. I ended up with a extra one because they were on BO nationwide at the time and I bought one from kickstand. Never canceled the one I had ordered on BO and it showed up in OCT.

So I was stuck to run another rear but just decided to sell the bike since I just don't use it and for the most part can go same places on Super T if I need to. The DR to me felt just as big off road as the Tenere. I am leaning toward K60 Scouts on Super T but gotta wear out a new Michelin anakee 2 first.
WERA Expert #826
Old 12-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #579
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I grew tired of the air up down thing and ran 29-30 rear and 25 front all the time even in CO. Rear gets real hot on pavement for any distance. My rear just evaporated with 250 miles in CO on it and the rest locally. At 1500 it's pretty much gone for off road on pavement it's still ok but going quick. I ended up with a extra one because they were on BO nationwide at the time and I bought one from kickstand. Never canceled the one I had ordered on BO and it showed up in OCT.

So I was stuck to run another rear but just decided to sell the bike since I just don't use it and for the most part can go same places on Super T if I need to. The DR to me felt just as big off road as the Tenere. I am leaning toward K60 Scouts on Super T but gotta wear out a new Michelin anakee 2 first.
I almost went the K60's on the Tiger, but the 150 size has an annoying solid strip down the middle that causes them to wobble and follow asphalt snakes. DQ suggested dropping to the 140 that didn't have the solid center rib, but I just went full knobby to see how I like them.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #580
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I almost went the K60's on the Tiger, but the 150 size has an annoying solid strip down the middle that causes them to wobble and follow asphalt snakes. DQ suggested dropping to the 140 that didn't have the solid center rib, but I just went full knobby to see how I like them.

Yep they have a nasty vibration on the Tenere under braking. I am still going to try them eventually even knowing that. The shaft drive roars now leaning left or right once the rear tire cups a little on the edges. I've learned to live with it for 15k miles. The Anakee II's have been great tires, used them in CO and UT but I aired them down, had to it was all over the place until I did that. Get 8k on a rear and front will go 2 rears I'm sure. Great thing about them is they are sportbikeish on the street up in the mountains. I've dragged everything but my sidebags and they are only about inch off the pavement.
WERA Expert #826
Old 12-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #581
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Please tell me this is purely a cautionary note and not the voice of experience talking.
Not me.
Some guys bought a universal mud sling that acerbis sells & mounted it with screws. They mentioned how easy it would be to screw something up on the inside.
I just glued an old HD tube on mine. I can't believe it's still on there after 12k+ miles.

BW, did you figure out why your Tiger is hopping at 40?
Old 12-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #582
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Not me.
Some guys bought a universal mud sling that acerbis sells & mounted it with screws. They mentioned how easy it would be to screw something up on the inside.
I just glued an old HD tube on mine. I can't believe it's still on there after 12k+ miles.

BW, did you figure out why your Tiger is hopping at 40?

I did not notice it this morning on the way to CSC, but that is only 12 miles on new knobbies. Will have to see if it was just the Pirelli Scorpion...

Need to get my rear flap installed soon... I've seen an aftermarket rear hugger fender but figure it will just fill up with mud, if I get in any...
Old 12-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #583
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Those brake when used off tarmac. Do some research before you spend money on that type.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #584
Trophy1298
Easily distrac

Oddometer: 5,500
Quote:
quoted for reference....
I make it a point not to agree with Roy... So i say they will be good for about 1502miles.

FWIW, the BMW can get about 3500 out of a T63 rear b4 people start telling me I need a new back tire. I almost never air down either.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #585
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,114
Quote:
I did not notice it this morning on the way to CSC, but that is only 12 miles on new knobbies. Will have to see if it was just the Pirelli Scorpion...

Need to get my rear flap installed soon... I've seen an aftermarket rear hugger fender but figure it will just fill up with mud, if I get in any...

I wonder if you could make something that would give more room for mud but would serve the same purpose out of some of that plastic you can get to make molds for tactical uses. you know you heat it and then mold it to the shape you need, stuff isn't hard to work with and it's fairly strong.